Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking around mobile.de for Hymer B584's I found this damaged Hymer 640 Starline for €16,900 (£15,170). I wondered if you got it cheap enough (surely it'd be a hard sell like that):

1. Would it be worth it? The damage looks like it's mostly bolt on bits, except for the panel near the driver (is that repairable). Rear right bumper & light, LH sills, mudguards, a small light, fuel filler surround, Front bumper. Can you get parts like that?

2. Would it pass MOT like that as it would be a lot easier to get that straight away so it was drivable to get parts etc for the repair.

3. Apart from that the mileage is up there (219,119 km), but the interior looks good so you could end up with a nice vehicle.

https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...searchId=d587263c-f507-48d0-d7c9-cb352420e581

·
Premium Member
27,822 Posts
And the year would help as with over 200k, km it could be an ex rental. Don't sound good so far.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Looks like a good prospect, From the photos I'd say was a relatively easy repair most of the items are bolt on, although with the way and materials that vans are constructed a seemingly small amount of damage can hide serious problems.

Most of the damage is to plastic or composite parts, so long as most if it is there it will be repairable rather than replace.

The Kms are high but no real deterrent until you eventually try to sell.

For something like that you'd need a base to carry out the repairs and if repairing instead of replacing the equipment to do so.

Hymer parts are expensive and if reports are to be believed very long winded to obtain, not likely to find secondhand use-able parts as not many campers get scrapped.

·
Premium Member
27,822 Posts
I just sold my LHD 2000 Hobby 750 tag with only 45km on it for €18k. It did have some corrosion on the aluminum but everything else and the many extras worked fine.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, like if an attachment bolt tore out a mounting point. It's the kind of thing I might consider if I lived in the UK, but a bit tricky otherwise. Ta.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
That one looks to be more sensible for you, from the limited pictures I'd worry why the smelly thing (joss sticks) on the table is there, are they trying to hide the dreaded smell of damp!

The advert is not too good but from the info given i.e. phone number and contact details probably genuine.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Yes, it looks quite nice inside (some are very naff material). Seller is a DJ so maybe to cover mary jane smell? Or to get the girls :) Or maybe despite the rotten ad they thought it needed 'staging' (like people that flip houses).

Also like these two, but expensive (?) and sodding tiptronic (very good ads though). Anyone know the dealer? Oh, they're in Wales. What's leather seating like in a motorhome? Hot and sticky?

http://www.freewheelleisure.co.uk/i...cedes-autiomaticcream-leathercab-hab-air-con/

http://www.freewheelleisure.co.uk/i...conditioning41000mls/#progression-description

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yes. Already have. I give them a good grilling. I almost bought a 1999 Hymer B544, 62k miles, 2.8 fiat, gaslow. in good condition. For sale for £16k. I offered £15,500 if he kept it till I got there, which I thought an ok deal for both of us, but he pushed for the 16.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Nup! :) I have driven in France though - a mighty Renault Twingo. So I must surely be prepared - right? Thread a Hymer through the middle of the Arc de Triumph.

Had you driven one before you'd driven one? :)

Are you thinking I might not like it, or might prefer a different kind?

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,663 Posts
Dunno really, I hate the damned things, and unless you are going to use the drop-down bed, a bit of a waste of space, I have driven 7.5t trucks etc for 30 years which are wider, but driving a A class scares the sh1t out of me, I much prefer the C class coach built vans, proper cab etc, (easier to fix, better engine access, cheaper windscreen) so I think you should deffo try before you buy, go to a dealer, they will have proper insurance in case you scuff it.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, I could try some over here. Engine access is a good point as I generally prefer to service myself, but even if I didn't if it's harder it'll cost more. So in an A class is it via a panel between the seats?

I suppose with an A you can gauge your width because it's there right in front of you, but with a C you could get wedged in, but then in a C if your mirrors hit you can't go and all you've done is push the mirror in.

One of the reasons is the bed being up there for better use of space. Otherwise you're making a bed every night or using a lot of space just for one (if you don't want a long vehicle). I did think also the cabin adds to the feeling of space inside - even if it's not very used while stopped. I do need to check that though.

Normally I am a very careful shopper, but buying from a distance is making me be a bit more reckless/trusting/adventurous (depends how you view it). I really can't see myself shelling out that kind of money without some way to check it out first. Either in person, via someone else, or at the very least video chat.

It is really good to be able to talk things over on here, so thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Don't listen to the bear :smile2: A class are by far the best:wink2:

In my 40+ years of motorhomes I've had many vans and more than a few have been A class and my current van is a Pilote 733LJ, which is a 7.4 metre A class on a Mercedes 3 litre V6 base, we love it.
My vans have ranged from basic self builds to 8.5 metre A class and can honestly say I find no difference in driving any of them.

If you have a coachbuilt then you have the basic bulk, length, width and height whatever format it is.

Your comment ref the drop down bed is as you say a bonus for space saving on a shorter vehicle.

Engine access, all modern A class will have no internal access to the engine all from the front outside, via some type of bonnet arrangement, incidentally Hymer are some of the worst for access, with the access often referred to as a letterbox.
My current Pilote is good for access, strangely some of the more up market vans are the worst, often needing accessories to enable even the simplest of things such as toppiny up oil or coolant.

·
Premium Member
16,384 Posts
Yes, I could try some over here. Engine access is a good point as I generally prefer to service myself, but even if I didn't if it's harder it'll cost more. So in an A class is it via a panel between the seats?

I suppose with an A you can gauge your width because it's there right in front of you, but with a C you could get wedged in, but then in a C if your mirrors hit you can't go and all you've done is push the mirror in.

One of the reasons is the bed being up there for better use of space. Otherwise you're making a bed every night or using a lot of space just for one (if you don't want a long vehicle). I did think also the cabin adds to the feeling of space inside - even if it's not very used while stopped. I do need to check that though.

Normally I am a very careful shopper, but buying from a distance is making me be a bit more reckless/trusting/adventurous (depends how you view it). I really can't see myself shelling out that kind of money without some way to check it out first. Either in person, via someone else, or at the very least video chat.

You still need to find a way to tax and insure if you haven't already.
I'm sure it will also be tough in France or Germany.
https://www.carinsurancecomparison.com/can-i-use-a-po-box-for-auto-insurance
How did you communicated with
https://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/...searchId=d587263c-f507-48d0-d7c9-cb352420e581

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,663 Posts

Have you considered buying close up, by renting a small place or doing B&B so you're more mobile to view vans?

Johns right A classes do have more space etc, but we have to play devils advocate and be sure we're not steering you in the wrong direction by asking questions to give you pause to think, it is very easy to get caught up in the excitement and buy badly, there is also the weird thing of not knowing what you want until you've bought the wrong van, many do it and is why there are so many quite new vans out there.

·
Premium Member
16,384 Posts
I forgot to mention in my answer to your PM Bill that in Germany the TÜV is every 2 years, can´t say if it´s any different as far as the testing is concerned.
And I have no idea about exporting anything to the UK, as I said ours came from the UK to us via Hull and Zeebrugge.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.