Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,817 Posts
Just a thought Tamar.
I have often seen hail damaged motorhomes being sold off very cheaply in Germany. Usually on the German e-bay.
OK hail damage is unsightly but does nothing to detract from the functionality of the van.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Missed a few reply's - there's no email notification setting - ah, there is if you go Advanced rather than Instant Reply.

No, not bothered with that damaged 640 as it would only work if it would pass MOT and I needed to know if it would beforehand (if the damage was cosmetic, bolt on - and even the parts available). Being about £15k, by the time you've repaired and UK reg'd it, for the high-ish mileage possibly borderline worth it. Not sure if it even has cab air con (anyone know where the button is on the dash?). Only a 2.2 litre and a biggish van (according to my research). It does look nice inside though. Also I cant see a dealer being willing to hold on to it (even if I paid) for a few months.

Tax and insurance is pretty easy for foreigners in the UK (unlike France). Just need to sign up to this (£30 per year).

http://www.payasyougopost.com/

I'm finding getting people to answer a query from here the biggest problem. They must presume I'm either a conman, or not serious. I either fly over now, buy, then come back, then back over in April - or just come over in April to a reduced and more expensive market. I have to be here in March for some chemo.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,418 Posts
Would you NEED to get the van fixed Tamar?

I reckon the backend needs a bit of work to make the rear lights legal and to stop the whole thing falling off!

But I drove with my rear end held together with duct tape (well, the MH's rear end!) for quite some time. People tend to steer clear of you - which is no bad thing!

Maybe less likely to take a big hit in reselling if you don't fork out to repair? I've forgotten how long you were intending keeping it.

Obviously you'd need to check if it's driveable; if any of the damage has compromised anything else.

·
Premium Member
31,037 Posts
Well our last van was the Hymer

Same layout , drop down bed

The drop down bed became to much to climb onto ,the lack of ventilation in the bed at night became to much

The mileage was ridiculously low , 25,000

We sold it in perfect condition

ridiculously low

But it no longer suited us

I’d never be brave enough to by a vehicle

I think you are wise to forget it with that damage

Sandra

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Amazingly, the sellers have answered (most ignore me being in Australia, though they might think I’m in the UK). It doesn’t have any air con, which I think excludes it for me. They reckon all the damage is only plastic parts and it drives good. If it had air con and the mileage was lower I might. Jean, yes, if any of the plastics are not too bad, could just reuse them. However a neat one of that model with reasonable mileage can still be a good price so might be worth fixing even if pricey.

Sandra, you’re the first person that’s said that about that type of bed. I had wondered if it got hot and stuffy. Since I’ll be using it in summer, that was a concern. Everyone else says it’s fine. I had thought for hot nights I could sleep on the couch. Also put a vent above the drop down bed.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Word of warning. Although the original OP vehicle was being sold in NL it has German registration?
Could that complicate things? Also having lived in Germany for 3 decades check if any van you are thinking of buying has been owned by smokers before you even think about travelling to look at it. Germany is 20th in the world for % of people who smoke, UK comes on at about 80th so enough said. Having said all this, all five of the motorhomes I have had have been German secondhands, just have to be careful.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Oh, thanks for that tip about the germans being big smokers. Yes, definitely don't want that ingrained stench of stale tobacco. I work on computers and the ones owned by smokers stink and are clogged up with brown sticky gunk. Disgusting.

·
Premium Member
16,383 Posts
Smoking Germans you will mostly find standing outside of their house's, cars or wohnmobil with a ***, not many inside these days.😄

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.