Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully this is in roughly the right forum !!

I have a 2018 plate Carado on a Fiat Ducato base which we've owned since new and until last year we've adhered to the requirements for the damp warranty to be maintained (ie once a year check by a Carado dealer).
However, last year through family issues and forgetfulness we missed out completely on the check and of course it's now out of warranty with Carado.

Do any of the members on here see this as an issue I should be worried about ? On it's last official check it was showing 60% damp in a very small area around a garage door, something that I was told was fine at the time and that Carado wouldn't entertain any remedial work given such a small area.

I can still get damp checked at a cost of £100 by Heart of England, but I'm sure I could ind plenty of others that are happy to perform the same test a little more locally to me and perhaps at a better price although that's not really the issue here.
Sorry for going on so long :)

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,697 Posts
On it's last official check it was showing 60% damp in a very small area around a garage door, something that I was told was fine at the time and that Carado wouldn't entertain any remedial work given such a small area.
60% seems high to me tho I'm no expert. The question is, what has happened in that area in the meantime? If it's creeping damp it needs fixed.
i have done my own coach built from new even under warranty
We had our damp checks done faithfully but when we needed some remedial work done after about 5yrs we discovered that the work had never been registered on the manufacturer's computer system (we had no idea this was a requirement) and therefore our claim was null n void.

· Premium Member
12,488 Posts
I think under 25% is considered acceptable by Auto-trail. We have our hab check done every year at the dealers in order to keep the warranty after finding our last MH riddled with it. Saved us £'000's.

If not I'd buy a decent damp meter and do it myself.

Reactions: jonesy_103

· Registered
80 Posts
Within 12 months there will be expansion and contraction of a mobile structure although construction methods have changed over many years a vigilant response by the owner could neutralize a small ingress of water which if not attended to becomes a bigger issue regular peeks into cuboards around sky lights, window seals, outside skirting mastic joints, easy Saturday morning job greatly reducing that annual Habitation check when you are presented with the we have discovered damp report when your heart hits the floor. 12 months is too long a period for a motorhome not to be inspected, after all folks it is not rocket science, its your hobby.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts