Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
We are about to purchase our first motorhome and are having trouble deciding on which one to go for.

The choice is between a Dethleffs RT6844 Esprit or a Knaus Sport TI650MG.

Both are similar price but has anyone got either of these motorhomes or can offer any information on either?

Thanks for your help,

Mark & Susan

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Detleffs v's Knaus

Kilcoosy said:
Hi Everyone,
We are about to purchase our first motorhome and are having trouble deciding on which one to go for.

The choice is between a Dethleffs RT6844 Esprit or a Knaus Sport TI650MG.

Both are similar price but has anyone got either of these motorhomes or can offer any information on either?

Thanks for your help,

Mark & Susan
Hi Kilcoosy,

We have a Knaus Sport Ti on a Renault Master and are very happy with same, good quality and well put together. Dont't know anything about Dethleffs but they are German built so you probably won't go too far wrong if you decide to purchase one.

What chassis does the Knaus or Dethleff sit on?

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

JoeyD

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Hello

We have a Dethleffs RT6874 Esprit looks like a fire engine its lovely, we had same choice, choosing the deadlegs because it had a brighter interior that's the only difference! Hubby liked layout a bit more the bed seemed bigger but don't think it is.

We have Renault Master chassis drives like a dream. Any further questions please feel free.

Greenie

·
Registered
510 Posts
post subject

We had a Knaus Traveller and a 07 Dethleff and a 05 Dethleff would have to say the Knaus was much better built,
having said that there are different models and the 05 was better built than the 07.

Good luck with whichever model you choose might see you on the road :)

Aido :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chasis

Hi JoeyD
Thanks for the info. Both the Dethleffs and Knaus are on a Renault chasis. The Knaus has an automatic gearbox which I find quite appealing!

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Detleffs

greenasthegrass said:
Hello

We have a Dethleffs RT6874 Esprit looks like a fire engine its lovely, we had same choice, choosing the deadlegs because it had a brighter interior that's the only difference! Hubby liked layout a bit more the bed seemed bigger but don't think it is.

We have Renault Master chassis drives like a dream. Any further questions please feel free.

Greenie
Thanks Greenie,
The Dethleffs we are looking at is red and silver and looks fantastic much nicer on the eye than the Knaus. The inside is finished in red seating etc which we really like also! The Knaus has automatic transmission/nicer dash / big skylight windo over the cab and a larger bathroom which my other half loves! Just not sure!!

·
Registered
4,658 Posts

Frontage and assage

Wish could blurr out its number plate am not that clever! so assage will have to wait!

Greenie

PS we were driving through Norfolk and someone pulled over to let us past am sure they thought we were an actual fire engine! - note to self must turn off me horn!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Knaus

GerryD said:
I may be out of touch, but didn't Knaus go out of business late last year? Unless they have been taken over specific parts may be hard to get hold of.
Gerry
Hi Gerry,
They were actually taken over by HTP Investments group so hopefully this will make them a stronger company going forward.

·
Registered
947 Posts
hi,
just got bacj from a slightly wet newbury show :cry: and we have the dethleffs 6844 and its brilliant and far ony performs knaus in quality and most importantly dealer back up is second to none.

Our friends have a knaus 650ti sunti and its very good but has had many silly little problems namely electrics on the habitation side and that lovely big panoramic window over the cab "that is not double glassed" so it condensates like hell when its cold and the water runs off everywhere.

Also as has been said this company recently went into liquidation in germany and was bought by a private equity firm, buer beware but your choice.

tramp

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tramp said:
hi,
just got bacj from a slightly wet newbury show :cry: and we have the dethleffs 6844 and its brilliant and far ony performs knaus in quality and most importantly dealer back up is second to none.

Our friends have a knaus 650ti sunti and its very good but has had many silly little problems namely electrics on the habitation side and that lovely big panoramic window over the cab "that is not double glassed" so it condensates like hell when its cold and the water runs off everywhere.

Also as has been said this company recently went into liquidation in germany and was bought by a private equity firm, buer beware but your choice.

tramp

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
RT6844

tramp said:
hi,

tramp
Hi Tramp,
Thanks for the feedback it was most helpful. Could i ask you a couple of questions about the 6844.

1. Roughly what MPG would you be getting
2. The bathroom was quite small compared to the Knaus. How do you find it? The shower in the Knaus seemed to be higher also. ie you could stand under it whereas in the Dethleffs it was under me!
3. Do you have your 6844 alarmed amd if so is it a complex job to get done?

Thanks for your help,
Mark

·
Registered
947 Posts
hi mark,
we get aroun 30-32 mpg at 3500kg at 60mph but it all dependes on how you drive and if you have aheavy right foot :roll:

the bathroom in the rt6844 is a cylindrical type in a sq chamber with plenty room for 2 people :oops: . we dont get under the shower head but hose our selves down with no probs. you have to turn the toilet to get the best out of these smallish bathrooms and kep the sliding door open when using the sink.

the renault has dead locks as std on the front doors and a engine imobiliser fitted and we have a tracker, but no Alarm as I dont have a problem with sequrity just use comonsence were we park but if you need a alarm then van bitz is highly recommended if pricey but it does what it says on the tin :wink:

Have a look at the link on my web site for more info on our upgrades under the esprit link.

tramp

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Mark,

We too are new to Motorhomes and only purchased a Dethleffs 6501 two months ago. I know this is not the model you are looking at but I just want to tell you a little about our experience with Dethleffs.

We are presently living in Switzerland. Soon after we purchased our 3 year old Motorhome, we drove to Isny in Germany and visited the Dethleffs factory. Visiting their factory was an amazing experience seeing the quality that goes in to the building and manufacturing of the Dethleffs Campervans. Also during our time there, we were given the very best customer service with the company fixing a number of the small problems we had with our Van very promptly and extremely courteously even when we had not booked in our van for this work.

I do not know much about Knaus so cannot really comment on this make. We are now in Portugal after travelling through France and Spain. So far, we only have praise for the Dethleffs quality and would strongly recommend this brand as a great Moptorhome.

I wish you all the best with your decision.

Regards,

Rick

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dethleffs

Hi Rick,
Thanks for your post on the Detleffs I really do appreciate it. I'm glad to hear that the build quality is good and that you are enjoying your experience.

I think the more we read we are definitely being swayed towards the Dethleffs.

Thanks again,
Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: chasis

JoeyD said:
Kilcoosy said:
Hi JoeyD
Thanks for the info. Both the Dethleffs and Knaus are on a Renault chasis. The Knaus has an automatic gearbox which I find quite appealing!

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Kilcoosy,

Are you based in Leitrim?

JoeyD
Yes Joey we are based in North Leitrim just outside Sligo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: chasis

JoeyD said:
Kilcoosy said:
Hi JoeyD

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Kilcoosy,

Are you based in Leitrim?

JoeyD
Joey,
I should have asked have you had any issues with condensation on the 'cab window' or any problems with electrics on your Knaus?

Thanks,
Mark

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.