Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Fiat Ducato
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I have a bit of an issue with my two year old habbitational diesel heater. The heater is a Challenger model that was supplied and installed by ACLS. The heater seems to give off a smell like that of a chip shop, does not really smell like diesel and neither one of my Co2 alarms detect anything!
Any thoughts??

Brian

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,230 Posts
The combustion gasses, both intake and exhaust should all be outside in theory so that inside there is only cool air entering the heater and warm exiting it.

But I once had the problem of exhaust gasses entering the van with an Eberspacher heater. I didn't find any fault but assumed that an internal gasket separating the two parts of the heater had failed. I sent it for service and that cured it.

The chip shop smell is another thing but the exhaust smell should not be getting inside anyway. Is there a vent nearby? Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?

Years ago there were lots of stories of diesel cars being run on cooking oil and smelling like chip shops. Some people are saying it might be caused by high percentage bio diesel, but you shouldn't smell it inside regardless.

• Helpful
Reactions: GMJ

·
Registered
Fiat Ducato
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply,

I have three Carbon Monoxide detectors in the van lol! and none of these detect anything which makes me think this is something else. There is no inlet vents on the side of the van were the exhaust is located, but I will be speaking to ACLS this week to see what there thoughts are..

·
Premium Member
Malibu PVC
30,230 Posts
Pleas let us know, it's intriguing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts