Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't remember when I first had need of it, but it's been on my bookmarks bar a for a very long time now http://exif.regex.info/exif.cgi

It looks at you digital pictures and gives a lot of info on them.

I just picked this one at random to see if it still worked, it's the truck that ran into the Bessie in 2019.

There are a few more pages of info below this one pictured

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
No

What use is it Kev as in what application would you use it for? (serious question)

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
And what would you be using that info for Kev?

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Yes could you give an example?

I'm trying to be off here Kev I'm trying to work out what Id use it for, as I'm struggling to think of a reason.

·
Premium Member
11,283 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
It is not a secure site.
In many cases, I think this message is misleading and unfortunate. It should only be of concern if you are passing data that you wouldn't want any old body to have.

HTTPS rather than the old HTTP adds an extra annual charge for each domain registered and I just had to stop paying out more and more each year.

It annoyed me since for years I had several free information websites which came high up in Google rankings. HTTP only domains are now penalised in Google searches and also display the above warning. I was able to transfer some of mine to an HTTPS subdomain but they have almost disappeared from Google search.

I did retain one that I kept HTTP - HTTP://oswestry-history.co.uk but some could be put off by the Not Secure warning.

I guess Jeffrey is providing you with a free service. There are also other programs that you could download to give you the same photo details - but then you also risk spyware etc.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
Metadata can be read on all images on the assumption that the camera/phone has recorded it.
To cut a lonnggg..........the camera/phone has to have 'Location' enabled to store that data...not all cameras can do that although most phones do.
If the image is yours on your PC right click select 'Properties' select 'Details' for all the metadata.
Don't know on phones can't be bothered to look!

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry mate - not intended to be. I am only trying to see what I could use it for that's all.
For some people and Luddites no use at all, I have always had an interest in all things technical, most of it (nearly all) goes over my head, it's like a lot of sites, most you would never use, I need some info once a long time ago and bookmarked it.

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Metadata can be read on all images on the assumption that the camera/phone has recorded it.
To cut a lonnggg..........the camera/phone has to have 'Location' enabled to store that data...not all cameras can do that although most phones do.
If the image is yours on your PC right click select 'Properties' select 'Details' for all the metadata.
Don't know on phones can't be bothered to look!
Yes, I mentioned the right-click options, but it doesn't work on my laptop as all my pictures are on Dropbox, but this site digs it all out.

On the subject of security, click on the tiny padlock to the left of the URL it gives some info too.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
I just wondered if it had a practical day to day use that I was missing.

I date stamp my photos so they are easier to put in albums and also help when we are unsure of what we did when.

·
Premium Member
4,447 Posts
I'm surprised that Dropbox denies you access to your image data!?....I thought that Dropbox was simply a storage facility.
I don't use it myself...for reasons that are lost in time!

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
By the time I wrote this there were 5 more posts so please forgive any duplications. :surprise:

When a digital camera takes a picture it creates an image file to store the picture along with some technical camera data. This 'metadata' is stored in Exchangeable Image File Format (EXIF). The detail recorded will be entirely dependant on the camera make and model.

When viewing the picture you often see an INFO or Properties option that will display some of the basic EXIF info such as image size and date taken. Jeffrey's site will give you all the information stored and will include detailed camera settings such as Shutter Speed and
Aperture Value. Jeffrey also goes further by adding specific camera details and deductions based on Phil Harvey's Image::ExifTool library.

So----------what you do with this information is a good question :grin2:

·
Premium Member
46,864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm surprised that Dropbox denies you access to your image data!?....I thought that Dropbox was simply a storage facility.
I don't use it myself...for reasons that are lost in time!
It doesn't Ted, I can see it fine if I go to dropbox, but on the laptop it's basically a placecard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.