Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... to the driver of the MH in event of an accident?

Mine apparently doesn't (tho he's checking up on that). It covers 3rd party injuries.

I'm shocked. I've never noticed that before and assumed it was comprehensive - and maybe it was when I first took it out in 2008. It certainly doesn't call itself Third Party.

Any comments?

·
Premium Member
36,440 Posts
Not usually for the driver I don't think Jean. There may sometimes be some medical cover though. My oracle tells me this. She was, at one stage in her career, a branch manager for a major UK insurer.

·
Premium Member
36,440 Posts
No. The driver isn't usually covered under any motor insurance.

·
Premium Member
11,380 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,440 Posts
Will that personal accident cover be subject to the usual kinds of limits as opposed to the cover your passenger would enjoy I wondered?

I checked and found this "If you buy car insurance that automatically includes personal accident cover, you'll typically get a pay-out of five to ten thousand pounds for a successful claim.

You'll usually be given the option to increase the payout to, say, fifty thousand or a hundred thousand pounds. This is likely to cost between £15 and £25 for the year."

Here: https://www.moneysupermarket.com/money-made-easy/what-is-personal-accident-cover-on-car-insurance/

It pays out if your hurt but it doesn't look as though it's comprehensive to me. Not a lot of cover for example if a young driver was maimed and unable to work.

·
Premium Member
9,557 Posts
It IS normal for vehicle insurance to cover personal injury for all occupants EXCEPT the driver. Yes it seems odd, but that’s the way it is.

Andy

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It IS normal for vehicle insurance to cover personal injury for all occupants EXCEPT the driver. Yes it seems odd, but that's the way it is.

Andy
So if you were in an at-fault accident Andy and lost your leg, say, there would be no compensation? But if your passenger lost their leg, they would get compensation?

·
Premium Member
9,557 Posts
So if you were in an at-fault accident Andy and lost your leg, say, there would be no compensation? But if your passenger lost their leg, they would get compensation?
Exactly that, check with your insurer, you will be shocked!!

Andy

·
Premium Member
17,212 Posts
We were encouraged to take out a personal accident insurance when we came to Germany because of the very reason your talking about Jean, costs a bit, but it insures you for any accident in or out of a vehicle.

·
Premium Member
36,440 Posts
I think the idea is that if it's your fault you don't have a claim. Seems reasonable to me.

If another motorist hits you your claim is against them. Why would you expect compensation if you caused whatever happened? Seems illogical to me.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess compensation is not the right word. I just had thought, all these years, that I was paying for insurance that would cover any need for therapy or rehabilitation.

·
Premium Member
36,440 Posts
It does. Just not for the guilty party.

·
Premium Member
36,440 Posts
I could be guilty of smashing my phone but I can get insurance against that.
Yes and you can get personal accident insurance which will cover you even in a car crash where you are at fault. As has been pointed out sometimes there's a personal accident add on included in a motor policy which could cover the driver or the policy holder. Just as there are sometimes breakdown cover add ons or legal cover add ons.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Strangely they've just come back to me saying there IS personal accident insurance included - in the policy booklet. I don't have it with me but some other sheet said it wasn't.

Makes me think the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. And in the case of personal injury which hand will be on duty?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.