Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm with Nationwide and they have this stipulation. Despite the fact I'll be paying over £300 for ferries to Scotland that doesn't count as proof that I'm actually 'travelling'.

Does anyone have travel insurance that covers you without that proviso? If so, with whom please?

·
Premium Member
28,579 Posts
Never heard of that Jean.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Yes: we're with Nationwide and I find it worrying BUT whilst travelling in UK I'm not overly bothered. It is only the accommodation aspect which it covers and if anything goes wrong, such as personal accident, I will either be in the motorhome (so no worry) or the car, in which case I will need to pay for the accommodation there and then. IF I have an accident before I go in the car then I won't have paid for the accommodation so I wouldn't have anything to claim!

The Nationwide breakdown cover doesn't require anything being booked, so they can carry me back home if necessary.

Last December was our Golden Wedding Anniversary so we actually paid the NW extension (over 70) so that they would cover the cost of the farmhouse which we booked for all of the family, so fulfilling the 2 nights rule. Now that there is nothing on the horizon, I haven't renewed the extension.

Gordon

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Never heard of that Jean.

Ray.
It's in the small print Ray. I got caught a few years ago when, on my last night before flying home, my BIL was admitted as an emergency to hospital. I stayed on to help out, extending my car hire, buying extra prescription meds... Because I'd been staying with family throughout rather than in paid accommodation, none of that was refundable. I returned via train/bus/boat rather than fly.

·
Premium Member
3,948 Posts
A UK motorhomer just arrived on site here in the Dordogne and promptly had a heart attack. Pompiers arrived and took home to hospital where had a stent inserted that same afternoon. He and his wife will be medically repatriated by ambulance today. PROBLEM what to do to get moho back? It's a 2021 9m Kontiki. Breakdown cover doesnt help. Moho insurance dont help. Seems travel insurance doesnt cover it. Seems like he wont be fit to drive it any time soon. Any ideas? I suggested find an experienced motorhomer and log him on their insurance. They live near Bristol. Can that idea fly?

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe someone on here would take it on as a job. I'm guessing at 9m it's >3.5T? That would limit the pool of contenders. I take it she's not able to drive it back? What a dreadful stress to add to the sudden illness.

·
Premium Member
28,579 Posts
I would do it if I wasn't so busy.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
28,579 Posts
Yes Jean. Missed the last one today.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just thought I'd add here, as I was investigating LV travel insurance, that they have a similar but less restrictive limitation on UK travel - "Trips within the United Kingdom must have either pre-booked accommodation, or be more than 25 miles from your home, or involve a sea crossing." - in that case any trip I do across the water would qualify.
He and his wife will be medically repatriated by ambulance today. PROBLEM what to do to get moho back?
@HermanHymer - what happened about those folk on the site?

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Well it's not really that restrictive.....if you go on a trip it must be more than 25 miles away from home.o_O
Not much of a trip otherwise. I suppose it's so as not to cover everyday shopping trips and so on.

Now I am surprised that the repatriation of the motorhome was not covered by any of the insurance policies.......surely that's just the kind of thing they are there for. I guess its not a breakdown and although one of us could drive back,I'm sure it wouldn't feel right if the other was really ill and repatriated by ambulance.
Some more investigation methinks..................where's me pipe and slippers.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
Just checked LV Breakdown, provided by Britannia which states
Section G5 – Relief Driver
If the only available driver cannot continue a journey because of illness or injury, we will:
n Provide a qualifed driver to drive your vehicle and up to 7 passengers back to your
home address in the UK; or
n Pay any extra costs to transport your vehicle, up to 7 passengers and luggage back to
the UK as long as these costs are not higher than the market value of your vehicle.

So if the only driver falls ill no problem. If both can drive I guess it's possible to argue that the partner is too ill with grief (doctors note) to drive long distances alone.Or perhaps the other driver is only on the policy for short emergency situations and has never driven long distances.

Reactions: H1-GBV
1 - 15 of 15 Posts