Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all you knowledgeable people with more experience than me, could you please tell me the pros and cons of either the Camos or KVH TracVision R4 Satellite System.
Regards
Colin

·
Registered
947 Posts
hi ,
we have camos greta in the wind :oops: when everyone else drops there dish we still watch tv :p .

looks like a pimpel on the roof :roll: but you get used to it just remeber the roof height.

we have ours linked to a 240v sky box via invertor and have no probs , unless you head way up north you should not have any probs.

tramp

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sat Dome

Hi Colin. Good to hear from you. We have recently had a KVH Slimline dome fitted by Snellyvision, and have found it to be very good and convenient, especially when we used a dish on a tripod previously.

We are well pleased with it, despite the cost!!!!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Hi We have Camos low profile on new MH and had a large Oyster dish on previous HM.
We prefer the Camos as it usable in windy conditions and being fully enclosed it is protected from elements. Very easy to use but if you want coverage in Spain you wil need the higher dome.
Chris

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
We have a 40CM in-motion Camos and it has been great so far.

No problems in the wind very good signal quality takes about 15 seconds to lock on to Astra. Also keeps the kids happy being able to watch the TV when we are traveling.

One other thing I liked about the Camos is that you only need on little hole in the roof for the cable and can easily be transfred to another M/H if you sell you van.

Hold there value very well to, a static 40Cm Camos got bids well over £1,000 the other week on Ebay.

Richard...

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I don't have either but have done some basic research into the two systems. As others have said, Camos and KVH are both very reliable and easy to use. Camos is a Korean company with Euro HQ in Germany. KVH is USA.
If you want to receive UK subscription (Sky) channels well into the Iberian peninsular, then a larger (1.2m) dish is likely to be needed. However there is always something available throughout Europe. Have a look at the information on the Roadpro website for a good explanation of what to expect in terms of reception and maps for each product they sell.

Regarding the differences between Camos and KVH, I think this is mainly limited to the number of satellites that the systems keep in their memories. The Camos control unit has 6 satellites pre-programmed and selecting them is simply a matter of pressing a button on the controller until the desired 'bird' is selected. The KVH has two satellites stored in its system and these are normally pre-programmed by the installer. The two stored 'birds' can be changed, but this requires a laptop to be connected to the KVH via a serial port connector. Not something that some users might want to do although I believe it is not too difficult. If you don't want to do this, and getting access to more 'birds' is important, e.g. if travelling widely throughout Europe, then this aspect could weigh in favour of the Camos.

Hope this helps but I'm sure more experienced users can give you a better POV.

Philip

·
Premium Member
31,755 Posts
Got the 40" Camos Dome fitted earlier this year by Leisuretech in Clitheroe (your in the North West arnt you) and its fantastic. Even in a Force 8 gale it works perfectly and as already mentioned to tune into the other satelites such as Hotbird you just press a button. We have used Leisure Tech for a few jobs and they are really great. I think ours was around £1450 including fitting and a maxview free to air box. http://www.leisuretechservices.com/

regards
Barry

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have Camos 40cm dome with 12v Pace Javelin Sky receiver - only had it a couple of months, but very pleased wirth it so far... The previous posts seem to accurately reflect my experiences of looking into the relative pros/cons of such systems.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dome satelite Dish

Thank you all for your reply's. I think Camos is the favourite due to two thing.
Only one cable through the roof and the preset programming on more saterlites. Thank you all again
Regards
Colin.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hello Colin,

RoadPro is the UK distributor for Camos and I would say that the advantages of the Camos static systems are as follows:

1) Designed specifically for use in Europe
2) Searches for six different satellites (seven if you include Astra 2 north)
3) Infinite rotation of dish avoids possible dead spots
4) Single cable installation
5) Average satellite search time of less than 30 seconds
6) Easy to move between vehicles
7) Nil power draw after satellite has been located
8) Control panel shows status of search and acquisition
9) Better coverage of 2D than other models (judging by user experience and other manufacturers' statements)
10) Lower weight
11) Smaller footprint on roof
12) 3-year warranty
13) And, last but not least....they cost less money to buy and to have installed (depending on whom you deal with.)

Hope this is helpful

RoadProAndy (from RoadPro)

·
Registered
51 Posts
RichardnGill said:
We have a 40CM in-motion Camos and it has been great so far.

No problems in the wind very good signal quality takes about 15 seconds to lock on to Astra. Also keeps the kids happy being able to watch the TV when we are traveling.

One other thing I liked about the Camos is that you only need on little hole in the roof for the cable and can easily be transfred to another M/H if you sell you van.

Hold there value very well to, a static 40Cm Camos got bids well over £1,000 the other week on Ebay.

Richard...
Yep, that was me! Had it pro - fitted and just getting to grips with it! So far, so good!

·
Premium Member
31,755 Posts
MalanCris said:
We used to have an Oyster dish on our last van but found that trees and buildings affected it greatly. Is this the same with the Camos?
Yes they do. We have found if we are right under a tree or very near one then we dont get a signal. Move a few feet and you do. The in motion one benefits here as you can get someone to watch the tele when you move around until you get a signal through the trees. Personally I couldnt justify the extra £600 for an in motion system and just dont park under a tree. I thought mountains would affect it and have been parked next to some pretty steep hills but still got a signal no problem

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.