Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clive kindly sent me some info on inexpensive but impressive security - (Sorry - forgot what Clives login name is\was)

Pusser

Please find attached pictures of cable and wooden door jam.

It is really easy to make. I am sure if you can drive a MH then you can make this.
Make sure you buy at least 6mm wire rope, the 2 or 3 mm is to thin, although will be strong enough it does not look much of a deterrent. As you know looks are as important to put off the would be thief.
The plastic covering is just normal plastic pipe. If agricultural merchant does not have it, then a aquatics centre or DIY shop will. Make sure it is big enough to slip over cable easy. Another tip is cover cut end of cable with a piece of tape or plastic (see picture) otherwise the strands will prick you (or worse still scratch your beloved MH!).

I think from the picture it is fairly self explanatory how to make and use it. Result strong, cut resistant and cheap.

The picture of the wooden block is also attached. Again I think it is self explanatory. This will only work if you have a internal handle like mine. It simple slips in and out in a second. Of course only useful at night, but that is when we had our unwanted visitor. I use a Fiama 'safe door' lock and side door when leaving van parked, put cable lock on and set alarm. Not much more I can do really.

Hope it helps any problems drop me an email.

Clive

These are links to pics of the setup ...

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modul...oto_Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/modul...oto_Gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Excellent method, Clive. Thank you very much.
And thanks for posting it here in such a clear and easy manner, Pusser.

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BarryandSue said:
Excellent method, Clive. Thank you very much.
And thanks for posting it here in such a clear and easy manner, Pusser.
I do like to do a proper job B&S as you know...it's just a shame it never works out that way.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Don't 'do yourself' down, Puss-me-old-pal. I'm in awe of your skill with 'computery-things' - it's just toilets that I think you should try to avoid......

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BarryandSue said:
Don't 'do yourself' down, Puss-me-old-pal. I'm in awe of your skill with 'computery-things' - it's just toilets that I think you should try to avoid......
Well, the advantage to computers is that what ever you do, you don't end up blue. Incidently, I did an emergency stop about a week ago nearly writing off and Austin 7 worth god knows how much. It didn't have indicators and suddenly turn left in front of me. My fault of course, as my wife pointed out. Anyway, the porta pottie took off and headed for the shower area and I was amazed that even after that, nothing had leaked out. Thank God know one was sitting on it. (I said sitting). :oops:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
As this is the 'Top Tips' Forum, here's one for you, Pusser:-

Public Conveniences !!!!

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BarryandSue said:
As this is the 'Top Tips' Forum, here's one for you, Pusser:-

Public Conveniences !!!!
Can't do - Bottom won't work in them. I have tried but to no avail. I can't even manage it someone else's house except immediate family. I mention this just in case you are worried I may visit you one day.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Life must have been HELL for you on board ship, or is that classed as 'immediate family'?!!!!
Come to think of it, life must have been hell for your shipmates -
"Pusser's in the heads - you're all confined to Mess, 'coz NO-ONE must look, otherwise he can't......!"

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BarryandSue said:
Life must have been HELL for you on board ship, or is that classed as 'immediate family'?!!!!
Come to think of it, life must have been hell for your shipmates -
"Pusser's in the heads - you're all confined to Mess, 'coz NO-ONE must look, otherwise he can't......!"
I think my biggest difficulty was arrivng at Ganges aged 15 and finding no doors on the loos at all for the very purpose of breaking down any phobias you may have. Obviously didn't work for me and I could always be found about 02:00 in the morning using them.

I was somewhere in Borneo once, or in that area and the loos at this camp were simply a trench with wooden boxes with holes in top to sit down on. It was customary for the one at the top of the stream to through a lot of bog paper down, set light to it and burn all the bottoms who were further down stream. OH! how I laughed when i lost my pubics. :(

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:D You mean Thunderboxes Pusser. What put me off was seeing the Malaysians sqauting on the seats. 8O Some of them were not very good shots. :x

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Aaah, the 'thunderboxes' - yes, us ex-squaddies are well acquainted with those. They came in multiples of 'four positions' and ours were painted in a ghastly metallic paint, blobs of which went soft in the hot sun - most distressing.
But nevertheless, a pleasant place to sit, chat, read the paper... more like a Gentleman's Club, really.

We're getting a bit 'Off Topic' here, aren't we? Maybe I should mention here that a 'thunderbox' may be a good alternative to a Porta-Potty in your motorhome, if you have a large family.

There. Back 'On Topic'!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:D I think a Thunderbox would be perfect for Pusser. He could mount it on his roof with a windbreak around it. It would certainly cure the invasive smells inside his motorhome. 8O

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Yes, and if Mum's driving, he could use it going along. Think of the wonderful views.....
(The Police might be thinking of 'Indecent Exposure')

·
Registered
12 Posts
Door Security

We use the extendable shelf rails (caddies) to stop food stuff ect from sliding around when the van is on the move.

When we park up I just place one end on the each of the door buttons on the drivers and passengers doors and extent it to jam in the top winow ledge. If the buttons can't pop up the doors wont open.

Not fool proof I know but I like to keep it simple - It also helps me to find the bl--dy things when its time to move on. :oops:

Regards to all

Billy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.