Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have taken the tap out of my hymer as it is dripping but cannot seem to get inside the tap to check the washers.The tap lifts up to turn it on and turns left or right to change from hot to cold.There is a small disk on the top to show hot/cold but it doesnt look like it is removable to get to any screw underneath and I didnt want to force it off.......I have enclosed a photo with this post so if anyone know how to get in it would help me greatly...Thanking you in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dripping Tap

We have just had to change the Micro switches on one of our taps.
They sound similar to yours.

TURN THE WATER PUMP OFF FIRST.
Underneath the tap there is a brass threaded rod, if you can't get a spanner in there there is a slot in the nut that you put a screwdriver in to to push it loose. Then the tap lifts out of the worktop and you can work on it. Youll probabl have to disconnet the water pipes to pull it any distance.
Hope this helps.

Julie

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice Julie but the tap is already out and is on the kitchen work surface.The problem I am having is how to get into the tap itself to get to the washer...Thanks for trying though :D :D

·
Registered
417 Posts
Pecker,

Looks like a ceramic disc type tap and wil not have washers you can replace.
I suspect scale has just formed on the discs and got trapped causeing it not to seal properly. However they can be damaged by frost causing the ceramic discs to crack.
Normally the handle does just pull off, but you need to be very careful and double check there is no screw under any removable cover or a clip you can access (like a pin hole somwhere).
Sp better you rely on what someone eho really knows says about getting top off.
However - 1st thing to try is vinegar to disolve any scale. Mix a strong solution (1:1 say) , preferably hot) and pour into tap and work tap open and closed. You could also try a bathroom cleaner that remove limescale.-- one of the premixed spray bottle ones - not your strong toilet types. By blowing into pipes you should detect any leaky valve.
Hope this helps, but of you need new ceramic disks I do not know where you get them.
Jon.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hi,

Is there any flats on the threaded bit to indicate that it could be unscrewed from the main tap body?

Is there any female hex holes round the back of the tap?

Is there any screw heads up inside the water inlet that could possible allow tthe tap body to be disasembled when removed?

·
Registered
565 Posts
I saw your post earlier but have no knowledgeof your particular tap.
Our tap is a Whale type of similar design, but it has a small screw under a pushed in cover to the rear of the tap handle that after removal then allows the handle to come off exposing a large nut that removes the Ceramic disc unit which can be seperated and cleaned. In our case a very small scratch had appeared on the disc surface that I was able to remove by rubbing gently on 2400 grade wet and dry, on reassembly the drip was cured.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Had a similar problem in the past with a dripping tap, as mentioned above gritty limescale particles were to blame, becoming lodged between rubber 'O' ring seal and casing.

Kitchen sink mixer tap was accesed through the spout by unscrewing the retaining ring holding the spray nozzle.

Bathroom sink/shower mixer tap had 3 screws holding a spray plate in place, access to the seal was behind that.
Can you identify the make, Whale, comet etc.
Best of luck M&D :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.