Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for replys,
i realise its not very far,but as we can only get on sports centre at piltdown from friday afternoon we wanted to overnight somewhere on thursday night,will probably now go coastal route via n11,must be somthing in wicklow mountain area.
regards.
Peter Kean. :D

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Don't wildcamp in the Wicklow mountains, its proximity to Dublin makes it unsafe.

Looking at the map I wonder if there is somewhere near Courtown in Wexford that would be better. It's a quiet time of the year and somwhere along that coast there is bound to be ok. I see places like, Rooney Point, Cahore Point, Riverchapel and if I was going to wildcamp they would be places I would check out.
Give yourself time, and don't be afraid to ask locally, especially if you are only going to park up for the night and be off again early in the morning.
Sorry I don't have direct experience of this area, but have a good trip anyway.

Ca

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you ca for information,
will look at the places you mentioned,you paint a poor picture of dublin is it as bad as that?
Regards.
Pete.

CaGreg said:
Don't wildcamp in the Wicklow mountains, its proximity to Dublin makes it unsafe.

Looking at the map I wonder if there is somewhere near Courtown in Wexford that would be better. It's a quiet time of the year and somwhere along that coast there is bound to be ok. I see places like, Rooney Point, Cahore Point, Riverchapel and if I was going to wildcamp they would be places I would check out.
Give yourself time, and don't be afraid to ask locally, especially if you are only going to park up for the night and be off again early in the morning.
Sorry I don't have direct experience of this area, but have a good trip anyway.

Ca

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive stayed with friends who have a mobile home at Cahore Point and because we have camper although we didnt have it with us at the time we did note that you could wild camp down near the pub at the pier it should be fine. My sister in law said that she often saw campers parked there overnight. Also it is a lovely spot close to a beautiful beach. Hope thats of some help to you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you,
sounds ideal,just what we were looking for.
Regards .
Pete.
PS. what a great site this is,so much information.

MABROWN said:
Ive stayed with friends who have a mobile home at Cahore Point and because we have camper although we didnt have it with us at the time we did note that you could wild camp down near the pub at the pier it should be fine. My sister in law said that she often saw campers parked there overnight. Also it is a lovely spot close to a beautiful beach. Hope thats of some help to you.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Pete,
I walk home from work every evening through the North Inner City of Dublin but I would not wildcamp in Wicklow. We have driven all over Europe, the USA and parts of Asia and Africa without incident but would take exactly the same safety measures at home. Exposure to risk needs to be assessed objectively and the first rule is prevention, so we generally stay on recognised sites with other folk around us. When we were 40 years younger we camped in all sorts of dodgy places but that was then.
There are a number of campsites not too far from Carrick , Parsons Green in Clogheen and the Apple near Cahir are both ok and there are a couple in Kilkenny that we haven't used in years but which were fine back then.

Noel

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
pursangmk2 said:
will look at the places you mentioned,you paint a poor picture of dublin is it as bad as that?
Regards.

Is Dublin that bad?? No it is no worse than any other capital city but take the advice about camping in Wicklow mountains, you will find somewhere to camp elsewhere and it will be lovely and you will be happy. But do take a drive there if you have time, the scenery is lovely.

Ca

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Noel,
wise advise indeed,I still race old motorcycles all over europe,but these days when the flag drops the red mist which was there 50 years ago is condesation caused by push starting the bl**** thing.
Regards.
Pete.
Ps. still manage the odd win,see attatchment. :D

I walk home from work every evening through the North Inner City of Dublin but I would not wildcamp in Wicklow. We have driven all over Europe, the USA and parts of Asia and Africa without incident but would take exactly the same safety measures at home. Exposure to risk needs to be assessed objectively and the first rule is prevention, so we generally stay on recognised sites with other folk around us. When we were 40 years younger we camped in all sorts of dodgy places but that was then.
There are a number of campsites not too far from Carrick , Parsons Green in Clogheen and the Apple near Cahir are both ok and there are a couple in Kilkenny that we haven't used in years but which were fine back then.

Noel[/quote]

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CaGreg said:
pursangmk2 said:

Regards.

Is Dublin that bad?? No it is no worse than any other capital city but take the advice about camping in Wicklow mountains, you will find somewhere to camp elsewhere and it will be lovely and you will be happy. But do take a drive there if you have time, the scenery is lovely.

Ca
Thank you Ca,
will take notice of good advise you have given,
Regards.
Pete.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.