Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Hope someone can assist with my problem.

My explanation will test your patience, so apologies if your not technically minded.

When I place indicator stalk down for L/H turn, indicators work, but dash back lights flash on & off and side lights R/H side come on.

The extra draw of all the side lights working, heat up the Indicator relay and eventually blows the fuse.

When I turn parking lights on, indicator signal light on dash stays on, L/H side indicators stay on also and nothing happens when I place indicator stalk on L/H turn.

R/H indicator works perfectly!! Lights on or off.

If I remove fuse for L/H parking lights L/H indicator works OK

Hope above makes sense!

It would seem like a bad earth... But Where??

Removed all indicator bulbs made no difference, ran earth wire to rear indicator lamp, fuse for side light went.

Did a voltage drop check from earth strap from battery to chassis all OK, connected jump lead from battery to engine direct to discount poor earth on main cable.

Took dash pod out checked connections all seem OK

Earth strap with myriad of wires up over clutch pedal all seem fine.

Anyone ever had a similar fault and has a magic solution?

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
If you put on the lights or push the brake pedal with the ignition on does the indicator light come on in the rear cluster if yes then it is a bad earth also on the front cluster it may light the side light. It is trying to find to find an earth and travels back up through the lights etc to find one on another cluster.

Hope that makes sense to you.

Andy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Inkey,

Makes perfect sense, just need to find where.

I have been a bit afraid to wire an earth direct, to front indicator bulb or parking light bulb, in case it has some pulse wiring or canbus etc and cause damage, even though I think it is too old for that.

My next plan is to confirm it has just standard wiring for indicator/parking lights. If soI shall make up a long wire with in-line fuse rated at say 10amp (less than fuseboard 15amp) and wire direct from ground to front parking bulb earth/front ind bulb earth and then rear and see if this cures it.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
There is a lighting loom multiplug just above the wheel arch under the right hand side of the dash. If you follow the cable from the step you will eventually find it. This has a habit of disconnecting or partially disconnecting. If it is partially disconnected the current will find the path of least resistance. Try reconnecting the plug. Don't worry, there is no canbus on your vehicle.
We lost a day in France a couple of years ago because I could not find the plug and we had lost all rear lights. Ended up rewiring the whole back end of the van. Then found the plug the next morning. Believe me it is so well buried that even a torch will not show it up.
Gerry

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Kev_n_Liz said:
Sorry for going Slightly off topic , but when was the canbus introduced, and if anyone knows, why.

Kev.
Kev,
Canbus was introduced with the X250 chassis. Because they can...
I'm sure it has it's benefits, but not sure what.
Gerry

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good news.

Found the fault.

Ran earth wire direct to front indicator, made no difference, then front side lights made no difference.
Lights as bright as ever.

So not an earth problem, but a short between the L/H side indicator and R/H parking lights.

Answer:

Exhaust end pipe had rusted through at back box and came adrift.

This caused hot gas to blow against inside of Alko chassis, felt along inside ledge and found wire loom melted together.

New junction box, bit of 5 core wire and all is well.
Need an end pipe for exhaust.

Hope this post helps someone in the future, and if away on holidays and you have a similar alko chassis and exhaust goes, don't wait till you get home.
If you do a temporary job ensure the end is diverted away from chassis.

·
Premium Member
27,825 Posts
Thanks jackc,
All this info does get stored in the depths of my brain and hopefully as and when needed it will surface again.

Anyway, well done.

Ray.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.