Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a week touring the Scottish Highlands. On the way back an oncoming HGV decided my driver's side mirror was in its way and it was left dangling. Without my roll of duct tape we would have been struggling to secure the mirror sufficiently to enable us to complete the return journey.

trig

· Administrator
13,658 Posts
great for repairing damage to fibreglass bits on the van.

btw, is it duct tape or duck tape? I remenber buying a reel once and it was called duck tape, with a picture of a duck on it (an american brand?). You get the joke when you pull the tape off the reel - quaaaack :)

· Registered
417 Posts
Hi dodger148

You mentioned using duct tape for beam deflectors - if you have polycarbonate lenses (plastic) then don't. You will end up getting crazing of the plastic as it overheats. Best to use lense protectors and put deflectors on them.
Jon.

edit - addressed to wrong person - sorry!

· Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
8,670 Posts
Duct tape uses No 4

to make ordinary fridge vents into winter vents....stick Duct tape over 70% of the slots on the inside of the normal covers.
DO NOT COVER THE CHIMMNEY VENT :wink:
Mike

· Premium Member
10,079 Posts

· Premium Member
10,079 Posts
Mike indeed, but on page 327 of m/home chit chat, I recalled reading about it this morning, and after being told off earlier for referring to another 8 year old post by another poster today, it was said it was inconsequential how old the post is so......................

Lets all trawl the depths and revitalise the cellar :wink:

What gems await 8)

tony

· Premium Member
1,259 Posts
pippin said:
This is purely a guess but I reckon it should be called "DUCT" tape as the original stuff was designed for sealing the joints in large diameter ducts.

Now I shall DUCK quickly out of the way.
You are correct.
However although I carry this with me in my MH I have found even more useful is waterproof clear tape as made by 3M, also sold periodically by Aldi/Lidl. Its very strong,versatile and almost invisible.

· Premium Member
10,079 Posts

· Premium Member
1,259 Posts
GEMMY said:
Please refer to an earlier answer when the right hon. George Telford did suggest you read :

http://duckbrand.com/?CatID=1&SubID=1

tony :lol:
Very informative however as thats a US website most of its irrelevant in the UK.
It was originally called Duct tape here though as said previously used for sealing joints in steel Aircon ducting in buildings.
The name though has been confused over the years with Duck tape and both are used for the same thing.
As most of it here now probably comes from China anyway it doesn't make anydifference what you call it it as it will be the same thing.

· Administrator
13,658 Posts
GEMMY said:
Mike indeed, but on page 327 of m/home chit chat, I recalled reading about it this morning, and after being told off earlier for referring to another 8 year old post by another poster today, it was said it was inconsequential how old the post is so......................

Lets all trawl the depths and revitalise the cellar :wink:

What gems await 8)

tony
ooh yes! G. Telford esq and Invertors 8) :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.