Motorhome Facts Forum banner
181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
BBQ again tonight, I had a chicken breast, I don’t need to have anything else, there are so many different salads passed round.
We‘ve come in and left about a dozen people chatting and drinking various alcoholic things sitting around the table, it’s too cold and windy for me and most of the others to be out there.
Motley (and me) had our photo on the forum today, I was combing him and then cleaned his teeth, Guido took photos, put them on Facebook with the words ‘After breakfast we all have to have our teeth cleaned by Janet of course, with the same brush, I’m next on the table,—— or words to that effect. He added 3 photos that I can’t show you.
I had 2 more people today who want to take him home with them.
It’s going to be a lot cooler over the weekend, but without the wind it will probably be more pleasant.

·
Premium Member
16,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Very warm day yesterday when the sun was out, as soon as it was behind clouds it was cool, all the women were taking jackets off and putting them on during the afternoon.
We walked into Jülich yesterday, to get cash, I paid 4.99€ for the honour, but I won’t need to get anymore this trip I hope.
I did something I have always said I will never do, I left Motley outside tied to the Ferrari while I went into a butchers shop and then a bakers, but I was only 3 meters away from him and could see him all the time, you would have thought it was a daily habit if you saw him, he didn’t take his eyes off me, I know this because someone from the group happened to be sitting on a bench nearby and saw him unknown to me until I got back to the vans and was told as I have been for about a hundred times what a super little chap he is.
Last night we all went for a meal together, I don’t know exactly how many of us, but over 20. I made the mistake of taking Motley as we thought we would sit outside, but it suddenly turned a lot cooler at 6.30 so it was inside and even I didn’t like the noise of so many people talking at once. It was an experience for him, but I won’t do it again. He has had so many new experiences this trip.
At 9am I’m joining 3 other women to do some exercises, I’ll let you know how that goes later.
Food Table Tableware Sharing Dishware

·
Premium Member
27,777 Posts
Crinkly chips and salad Jan. Very healthy.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
16,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I had schnitzel without sauce to go with the chips and salad, it was so big I couldn’t eat it all so guess who finished the schnitzel 🐕.

Exercises will be repeated tomorrow morning, all done with either sitting in or holding on to a chair, good fun when your with others, mind you the other are 20 years younger than me.
This is the weirdest weather, I had breakfast outside this morning, nice and warm when I started, but by the time I’d finished I wished I had had stayed inside.
Most of the others have gone for a walk into town, I’m not doing it again today we’ll go somewhere different as we do every day.
Table Tennis must be very popular here in Jülich, these were on our walk into town.

theres a nice river here as well.
Cloud Sky Outdoor bench Road surface Asphalt
Outdoor bench Tree Road surface Street furniture Window
Sky Water Water resources Natural landscape Plant

·
Premium Member
16,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 · (Edited)
I’ve been here with Heike and Jürgen (who came home from my place last Thursday after spending 7 weeks there when he intended only 4 😁)
I will leave for Rotenburg on Thursday.
The other water pipe became loose on my way here from Jülich and I lost a hole tank full 🙁 I paid 1€ for that water 😡. Jürgen fixed the pipe today.
This evening I had a surprise text message from the young woman I met in krickenbecker See (for those who don’t know a See is a Lake) 2 weeks ago with the tent on top of the car, saying she hoped we were having a nice time and are well and hopes we will see each other again.
I am meeting some really super people, almost all the people I met last weekend in Jülich have requester friendship on Facebook. The weekend iwas super, everyone got on well together and another will be planned for next year, they reckon I’ll be there 😁.
If I could make this card reader work on my iPad I would have made a YouTube video of what went on, but even though I have the Apple Card reader I can’t get it to show what’s on the card so it will have to wait until I am home next month.
Wheel Tire Dog Plant Carnivore
Dog Vehicle Motor vehicle Sky Table
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Dog

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,400 Posts
I reckon a dog is a really great icebreaker. My husband used to wander the village with our Suzie n chat with all the young Mums and their little ones. Once Suzie had gone he said you'd think he'd changed into a paedophile overnight - nobody wanted to spend the time of day with him!

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,627 Posts
I reckon a dog is a really great icebreaker. My husband used to wander the village with our Suzie n chat with all the young Mums and their little ones. Once Suzie had gone he said you'd think he'd changed into a paedophile overnight - nobody wanted to spend the time of day with him!
That's just sad Jean, poor chap must have felt awful

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
I used to a a Staffie called Suzi. A very intelligent and well mannered dog she was too.

·
Premium Member
22,820 Posts
Agreed,a dog breaks the ice, instantly, and two dog owners who have never met before will stop and compare experiences.

It is a sad reflection on society that the animals allow such an interchange, but is probably a reflection of how communities have changed; we used to know virtually everyone in our SE London Street, not just “borrowing a cup of sugar” in the shortages after the war, but the children played together, outside and in the street.

Sadly that cannot happen now as the number of cars has increased beyond comprehension- no-one could have foreseen that. The development of TV and more latterly the internet and electronic games machines has reduced the need for such involvement.

We cannot say which is/was better, it is just how society and life has evolved. In the 50’s we could only use the locality for our entertainment; cars were few,TV rare and not an all day commodity.

But dogs lower the barriers, thank heavens.

·
Premium Member
16,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
He cried for 2 days on and off, he has now stopped crying, allowing Heike to comb him and clean his teeth just like I do. They will not let him off the lead yet though as they are afraid he might try to find me, but they take him for many walks long and short and he never tires Heike said. Today he went with Heike be her girlfriend on there weekly walk which will be several kilometers and still wanted to play with Jürgen when he got back home.

·
Premium Member
16,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
My preparation to go home in a week will start to day. I have forgotten the name of the glider airport I have stopped at twice near Jena and cannot remember where I got it from or how to get there, just hope the last receipt is in the van.
Jürgen did a good cleaning job inside so an overnight stay is possible, but without gas, to be on the safe side, so no hot water or fridge or cooking, proper old fashioned camping, I think we will survive one night.
I saw the Neighbour next door yesterday, I didn’t know just how loud Motley had howled, she heard him in her house for the first few days I was in hospital, poor little thing. Although he is now very attached to Jürgen he is still my dog and looks at me for approval to go for a walk with him ☺
I’m really looking forward to getting home to my house and big garden and ‘if only they could talk’ I bet Motley would say the same. I know exactly what he will do when he gets there, a roll in the garden and then nose down to see if there have been any visitors while he’s been away.
I am not worried if I can’t get the van fixed quickly, I had some good happy weeks away and I can reminisce for some time on those 6 of 7 weeks, photos to sort and videos to copy, catch up with my friends at home and the rest of the summer to enjoy.

·
Premium Member
16,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
I have found the place from the photos I took last year, Schöngleina 330 km from here 328 km from home, so just half way.

Tomorrow Jürgen is coming on a test drive for a few km. to satisfy us both that all goes as it should.
The mains electricity is good to use, he tried that when cleaning with the main vacuum cleaner, the hab batteries are also full and solar panel doing it’s job. There has been a LOT of sun all this month and no sign of it giving up, 29°c today so just about bearable, but of course I still have to keep my arm covered which is a bit of bovver when I walk out In the sun. However the redness is gradually going, I can use my hand almost as normal, just have to be careful how and where on the hand I pick things up.
I am so pleased with my new hairstyle, hardly needed a comb this morning 🧓

·
Premium Member
16,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
Only 2 more nights in this house, one night in the van and we will be home 👏.

Jürgen went yesterday morning in his old 20+ year old Mercedes, it took 7 hours. He sent me photos on WhatsApp of my space, the grass has been kept cut by Marko and all looks well.

We leave Wednesday morning, doesn’t have to be terribly early as we will stop overnight near Jena. It took Heike 3.5 hours to get home from there yesterday driving straight through after a weekend with her family so I expect to take about 4.5 hours in the van as there will be lorries to contend with, Sundays there aren’t many.

Theres going to be a big difference in temperature as we travel, here is in the low 20is for a few days, at home in the mid 30is according to the forecast.

My space.
BA9C49E9-6712-4F19-A3CE-BC4A669A437B.jpeg8851FD49-1043-4A33-8448-6E7FF8088148.jpeg

181 - 200 of 201 Posts