Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18,012 Posts
Funny. I liked reading the protectionist rants of these people. They're quite happy to accept the tourist dollar, but hate it when people have the temerity to drive their gas guzzlers ("some of them do as little as 4mpg" :roll: ) into their area.

There's some fantastic NIMBY rants on there. It reminds me of the great Farmer Palmer in Viz - "Get orrff moi laaand".

Gerald

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Wonderful ! I can't believe some of the respondents are real people or whether they are answering with tongue in cheek ! I imagine they are spending far more than we spend on fuel heating their stately pile somewhere.

I've book marked this too.

G

·
Registered
791 Posts
This lot get right up my nose.

They've ruined Land Rover, the last once great British success and they'll move on to whatever takes their fervent religious eco fetish next.

These people wont be happy until we are all trotting around in horse and carts with the taliban as our masters.

Its jealousy. Pure and simple.

They are sad little tw*ts who haven't the intellect or work ethic to achieve anything constructive in their sad little lives so they want to stop anyone else enjoying life on the basis of 'the environment'.

I swear if some seudo scientist produced research saying stripy underpants are causing global warming they would be out in droves forcing people to drop their trousers.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Wow........did I just say that?

·
Registered
130 Posts
eco war

who the hell are these mis informed idiots. where do they get information about 4mpg do they consider that the vehicle at the hospital may be attending a seriously ill relative, i'll put a fiver on it they are not taking advantage of cheap parking. i'll put another fiver on the fact that one these moaners climb trees to protest and probably is out of work and dislike any one who works to earn money to afford items like motorhomes. i have looked at this site and i cant quite make out how to make a reply

·
Registered
753 Posts
These people have been plauging 4x4 owners for heaven knows how long! Yes they are mis-informed on alot of things, but the government do listen to them - or at leasst instigate tax hikes in their names!!

I have driven 4x4's for years, gas guzzlers? Not really! My old patrol did 35mpg however it was driven - which is the same as a Vauxhall Astra SRI, 10 more than a people carrier or a BMW 5 Series! But no-one says anything about that - thing is, it is still on the road, and when i parted with it it had covered 578,000 miles. That i would consider fairly green when you think about it - after all, if that was average car i would have needed around 4 or 5 of them, which is alot of waste left behind!

Current one is LPG powered and returns the equivilent miles per pound of a daewoo matiz - so fairly cheap really, and cleaner when you consider the carbon emissions of LPG powered vehicles are so low.

But they also bought in one rule which is a fatal mistake - in order to try and stop the wealthy using them as status symbols they hiked the tax up.........which to anyone with half a brain cell will realise, makes them MORE of a status symbol!!

But what gets me is - and try this in your small tow cars by all means - put the small engined car at 70mph down the motorway, more if it will do it, and see what the mpg falls to! It is power to weight ratio - on top of which most 4x4 owners drive at or under the speed limit, and not at 120mph down the outside lane like many cars burning lots of fuel and kicking out volumes more in emissions!

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
buttons said:
Don't get too hot and bothered. Looks like it was posted in April 2008 over a year ago.
I was just going to post the same :wink: they make me laugh though as someone posted they would rather stay in a hotel............well good luck to them, they haven't experienced the freedom a MH gives you.

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
Uninformed or misinformed the poster does not know how few miles the majority of mh s do in a year. I have only done 12 k in 3 and a half years. His car polution will probably do 4 times this mileage.

Twirp does not know what he is missing poor soul.

Dave P

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8O 8O 8O

I have NEVER read so much twaddle, c**p, uninformed, opinionated, bulls excrement in my life (except maybe politicians manifesto's - but lets not go there eh?). :evil:

I have lived in the countryside for half my life, and the majority of 'proper' countrymen couldnt give a monkeys about the economy of 4x4's and the 'effect' they have on the environment (NOT proven). They are TOOLS FOR A JOB!!!! There were times my jaguar would never have got 2 miles from my house, whereas the Range Rover (Series 1 - VERY economical - not) would go anywhere...

As was said earlier - jealousy has most to do with it.....

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I do hope that we intellectual motor home owners do not rise to the bait - we should not lower ourselves to such prejudices. We have worked hard to get what we have, and should feel proud of our achievements, don't let anyone say otherwise.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Jennifer said:
I do hope that we intellectual motor home owners do not rise to the bait - we should not lower ourselves to such prejudices. We have worked hard to get what we have, and should feel proud of our achievements, don't let anyone say otherwise.
Well said, that lady! I'll second your statement, Jennifer! :wink: :D Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,454 Posts
Hi,

a study published in Germany has shown that the average motorhome tourist, especially if he avoids camp sites and stays on aires or wild(!), actually consumes less energy, and causes less pollution, than the average hotel-dwelling tourist!

And this study has been published by a "green" NGO, absolutely unsuspicious of any links to car or MH industry.

(Of course, travelling by bicycle and camping in a tent has an even smaller environmental footprint. But who of these people chatting there is actually doing that?)

Best Regards,
Gerhard

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Now days it appears to be cool if you have an axe to grind and can champion a cause. We have the animal rights campaigners whom appear to overlook that humans are animals as well and I would suspect non of them would go into hospital with a serious disease and reject treatment when they are told that the treatment is available because of tests on earwigs.

Now we have people who look after cows and sheep who are causing more pollution than anything else worrying about motorhomes.

It seems the more we are educated, the more stupid we become.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
My motor caravan is only a little bigger than an average 4x4 and slightly smaller than some. It is our only vehicle. Sometimes we take it into town but not often, it is parked in Farnham and Swindon more often than the centre of Salisbury. I do about 10,000 miles a year but 80-90% is holiday travel.

I too mutter about 4x4s and motorhomes clogging up towns and have to be reminded by my more tolerant wife that I'm doing the same as them . When I protest that we don't do it often her is response is how do you know that they do?

Live and let live is an maxim that I have already typed this morning but what about underpowered horseboxes with two tons of horseflesh inside trying to get up hills with speed dropping off and smoke coming out of their exhaust. Then there are those that go down single track roads who don't know how to reverse. The there are middle lane hogs, Fast lane hogs, Slow lane tuggers in fact tuggers in general. Those that travel too slow with their trailers and those that travel too fast in fact everyone who doesn't have a Renault Trafic and some that do........

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Looking at the list of magazines at the bottom of their forum page, I suspect that these aren't proper country folk, just green welly weekenders.

Eco warriors? Pah. The posters probably also complain about smelly pig farms, noisy sheep, and the cost of getting the Aga serviced. And I bet they drive to their weekend cottage in a Chrysler Voyager with Jemima and Orlando watching DVDs in the back behind blacked-out windows, and they secretly read those books by Jeremy Clarkson.

SD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.