Motorhome Facts Forum banner
121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,256 Posts
He strikes me as the sort who will think he’s The Bionic Man and feel invincible with his pace maker fitted.
Just hope he’s not thinking he’s fit enough to undo all your good work :surprise:

Terry

Reactions: patp and GMJ

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Do you know what Terry - that will be him to the letter. He'll use that as an excuse now not to have stuff done hence we'll try and get as much as we can get done whilst he is incapacitated.

I sent all the details off to the stair lift bloke this morning so we'll see how that goes.

Reactions: dghr272 and patp

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
I'll be the opposite to him (and you) I can tell you!!

Reactions: patp

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
If he is in need of a stair lift, Graham, should he be driving? Or is that another whole can of worms?

My dad had a mild (ish) stroke and it affected his vision. Could we stop him driving?! One day my mum phoned to say that he had driven to the doctors. I phoned them and told them to take his keys away and I was on my way to pick him up. He had lost his peripheral vision. When I berated him for driving like that he said "I can see perfectly well straight ahead!"

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Busy day yesterday amongst which I organised that a stair lift is going to be fitted into his house next Friday. We are using the same chap who fitted Mrs GMJ's in our last house. He is honest and trustworthy and a does a good job. We have gone for a used one with a 12 month warranty as the FiL would like that idea rather than buying new (not because he's tight but because he hates waste).

We have also agreed a plan of attack re cleaning. Both of us along with our son are planning in giving the house a thorough clean tomorrow all day. Then on Weds I have arranged the hire of a Rug Doctor machine for the day to sort the carpets. On Friday when the stairlift is being put in, we'll tackle his kitchen in terms of getting everything out of cupboards and giving it all a good clean.

Re: car. Whilst w are in the house I'll dig out his insurance paperwork and see if I can get the ball rolling on a repair. I suspect it may be a write off due to the nature of where the door was cut off. We'll see. They might not even talk to me tbh.

Whether he will be able to drive again safely is another matter and I think we'll need to see what the final prognosis is from the Dr at the hospital. His dodgy knees don't limit his ability to drive only his ability to get around. His heart is another matter but when the pacemaker is fitted hopefully this should regulate that.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
If there is any doubt I have told Mrs GMJ that we will have to do the decent/proper thing. It'll be hard for him but it's the correct and safe thing to do.

In other news I forgot to mention that we'll be getting a new gas fire fitted for him as well hopefully as well as a shower seat too.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
Phase 1 complete: cleaned his living room, dining room, hallway, bedroom and bathroom (
)

I'm picking up a shower seat and fixings etc tomorrow and will fit this on Wednesday. We will also clean his kitchen then too (more
)

Friday is stair lift fitting day and...wait for it...GOOD NEWS...he has accepted the fact that he has to have one.

Mrs GMJ saw him today and was quite brutal: you either have one or you will have to go and live in a home! Given that he acquiesced. Tbf Mrs GMJ also gave him a really clever 'get out' as she said it would be really useful for her when she visits! This means he can tell everyone that he ONLY had it put in because of her.

Clever girl

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
Wow! Now all you have to do is to get him to use it :) My mum was the opposite of your FIL and wanted every "help" going. She managed to get a stair lift and used it to "send" her night time drink upstairs while she walked up! (She was perfectly capable of walking up anyway).

Not sure if I have mentioned this before? When my mum collapsed at home and needed to be blue lighted in on her final trip the poor paramedics could not get the stretcher thing past the stair lift which was still sitting at the top of the stairs after conveying mum's beverage up there. The had to perform an over head lift on her while negotiating the stairs and chair lift. Only mum knew how to work the thing! Perhaps a printed set of instructions might be a belt and braces thing to have nearby?

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
We'll be fine Pat. We had one in our last house plus we'll be there Friday when its fitted so will have loads of time to play on it. He won't be coming home for a week or two so we'll make sure the grandsons and neighbours know how to use it too. Great idea on the instructions though: we'll do that and stick it on his wall in the hallway.

It's up to him whether he uses it or not however he is happy that its second hand (he liked that as he hates waste) and I think after he has sent his basket of washing up a few times and when we aren't there he'll secretly try it. He might not admit it but he'll try it!

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Some good news...

FiL had his pacemaker fitted yesterday and Mrs GMJ spoke to him on the phone last night and he was quite chipper.

I'm visiting him this afternoon so I'll try and get a handle on when he will be released. I suspect that it will be very shortly. It would be great if it wasn't before Friday so we can get the stair lift put in without him being there plus it will give us time to finish off cleaning and let us get some provisions in for him.

·
Premium Member
8,328 Posts
I expect it will all depend on how he responds to the pacemaker, Graham. He will, I would have thought, have to satisfy various disciplines like OT's and Physios that he is fully fit to go home. All good news that the house is less of a worry for you and Mrs GMJ.

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,627 Posts
We'll be fine Pat. We had one in our last house plus we'll be there Friday when its fitted so will have loads of time to play on it. He won't be coming home for a week or two so we'll make sure the grandsons and neighbours know how to use it too. Great idea on the instructions though: we'll do that and stick it on his wall in the hallway.

It's up to him whether he uses it or not however he is happy that its second hand (he liked that as he hates waste) and I think after he has sent his basket of washing up a few times and when we aren't there he'll secretly try it. He might not admit it but he'll try it!
Instructions FFS surely ON OFF UP DOWN & STOP are all that should be needed bearing in mind the type of users.

·
Premium Member
1,379 Posts
Kev thay are a little bit more involved than that both arm rests and foot board must be down and some also have seat belts, they must normally be parked at the top or bottom or the charger will not work and also have sensors to detect objects that they can knock into. Some people stop them a little early to have more room on the landing and wander why the battery gets flat

·
Premium Member
27,777 Posts
Instructions FFS surely ON OFF UP DOWN & STOP are all that should be needed bearing in mind the type of users.
Your dealing with 'old' people Kev.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
11,256 Posts
Your dealing with 'old' people Kev.

Ray.
Kev knows, he just has to look in a mirror for a working example. >:)

Young Terry :surprise:

121 - 140 of 174 Posts