Motorhome Facts Forum banner
161 - 174 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Yes I know, 3

He has a 20 year old VW Lupo that he bought off his brother for 400 odd quid around 10-12 years ago ostensibly for the grandchildren to have and use until they got their own cars. It has ended up back with him and, as he doesn't like waste, he has kept it.

He bought a year old VW Golf when we moved down to west Wales so he felt more comfortable and safe in a more modern car when visiting us. He managed to come around twice I think and would now find it too much for him.

But the real killer is that he has a Rolls Royce in his garage which hasn't moved for a few years now. Up to that point he only took it out once a year to MOT it and hasn't had to do that for a few years now as its exempt! We have suggested for years that he sell it but he wont. For what reason we don't know.

Reactions: patp and raynipper

·
Premium Member
11,256 Posts
Yes I know, 3

He has a 20 year old VW Lupo that he bought off his brother for 400 odd quid around 10-12 years ago ostensibly for the grandchildren to have and use until they got their own cars. It has ended up back with him and, as he doesn't like waste, he has kept it.

He bought a year old VW Golf when we moved down to west Wales so he felt more comfortable and safe in a more modern car when visiting us. He managed to come around twice I think and would now find it too much for him.

But the real killer is that he has a Rolls Royce in his garage which hasn't moved for a few years now. Up to that point he only took it out once a year to MOT it and hasn't had to do that for a few years now as its exempt! We have suggested for years that he sell it but he wont. For what reason we don't know.
Never usually stuck for words but……………. :surprise:

Terry

Reactions: GMJ and patp

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
There's a message in this for all of us. If you're blessed to have someone who looks after you, listen and say yes, dear!

Reactions: GMJ

·
Premium Member
2,398 Posts
We had several people who asked "aren't you proud that your Dad is still such an independently-minded soul?"

They just couldn't accept that our answer had to be "NO!"

Gordon

(Except, yes, to a degree we were BUT did he really need to phone 999 and say that he was being held hostage?
What would have happened if the window opened wide enough to use his "rope ladder" (made from toilet paper) to get out from his second floor flat?
Did I enjoy "talking him back" after he'd made it 50 yards down the road with his Zimmer frame?)

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
We love the fact that he is independent but we don't like the stupidity to just say "no" because that's what he is used to saying.

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 · (Edited)
I haven't updated this for a while so here goes...

- FiL is using his stair lift all the time and, though he would never admit it, probably loves it.

- His son fitted a new fence for him yesterday much to the chagrin of the next door neighbours as he went with what was originally there - A 4 foot high chain link - when they wanted a posh wooden one. His fence, his money we say.

- There is some evidence that he is wearing his alarm call pendant but we'll have to see if that's true when we next see him.

- His car is in for repair by the insurers and due back on 13th June.

- No news on his blue badge yet.

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,400 Posts
That's mostly very positive Graham - must be a relief when you're so far away. BTW, I meant to say elsewhere (but MHF was upgrading at the time) I found SuperU consistently better on price of diesel all the way up through France (1.72-1.75) tho up here in Normandy they're on a par with others (1.82/3).

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
There's a breed of folk who always respond with NO, before they even consider the question fully. I knew one very well!!!

Reactions: raynipper

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
There's a breed of folk who always respond with NO, before they even consider the question fully. I knew one very well!!!
Thanks

We tend to head towards supermarkets but haven't used a Super U yet on this trip. I'll keep an eye out.

FiL was quite happy yesterday as he had had the new fence fitted plus as a bonus it pissed off his neighbours who wanted the posh wooden one fitted instead. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Just an update

FiL is safe and well at his house. His damaged car was delivered back to him on Monday from the repairers: all shiny and new looking. The DVLA have confirmed that he can still carry on driving except when he has the battery changed in his pacemaker then he can't for a week. As he will be 93 by then, we'll worry about that in 2032! :)

He is still at his curmudgeonly best though as we are seeing him this Friday which was ostensibly so we could take him out for a belated Fathers Day lunch...but he has refused to go!

He'll not be in a great mood after we have been there for a while as myself, Mrs GMJ and our son plan on cleaning his house whilst we are there. He doesn't know about this but it hasn't been touched since we did the deep clean while he was in hospital. It'll p1ss him off big style however the simple solution - which we have been suggesting - is that he gets a cleaner in. Hopefully seeing us clean after him will tip him that way.

Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
27,777 Posts
Tell him the cleaner might be young and pretty to take his mind of other things? ;)

Ray.

• Haha
Reactions: GMJ

·
Premium Member
9,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Well we had some success yesterday at the FiL's place. I managed to clean the bathroom and his bedroom but he would not let Mrs GMJ to his kitchen...he was adamant. So I cleaned that for him too. Our lad also dusted and vacuumed downstairs for him.

He was not happy with any of us for doing this (despite the fact that it hadn't been done sine we last did it when he was in hospital!). We worked on him to consider getting a cleaner in which he was averse to however at least we have planed the seed.

He s struggling to do his garden now and its getting a little wild. I suggested that if he wanted any little jobs doing in the garden I would happily sort them but again, he refused. He loves his garden and gardening but would rather see it run wild than ask for or accept any help!

Reactions: Pudsey_Bear
161 - 174 of 174 Posts