1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

got a ford econoline e350 c class RV

I am new to this so help/advice please.
Just been bleaching the tanks and notice that the toilet and grey waste exit from horizontal large diameter pipe. How do I empty the tanks without spraying all the mess everywhere, which for obvious reasons is not a good idea. Do I need a pipe to direct it down into the site waste tank? I am off to france next month, what happens there?

Thanks

rick

·
Premium Member
5,264 Posts
Hi Rick you need a sewer hose, contact Linda at stateside tuning http://www.statesidetuning.co.uk/
or Duncan at star spangled spanner http://www.starspangledspanner.com/

It joins on to the end of your pipe, however both here and especially abroad ground level roadside dumps are conspicuous by their absence on a lot of sites, so you would be well advised to buy a macerator, this goes on the end of your rigid pipe and grinds everything up and pumps it down a 1" pipe. Both the above companies sell them.

Olley

·
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
14,576 Posts
15 all , new balls :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
olley said:
It joins on to the end of your pipe, however both here and especially abroad ground level roadside dumps are conspicuous by their absence on a lot of sites, so you would be well advised to buy a macerator, this goes on the end of your rigid pipe and grinds everything up and pumps it down a 1" pipe. Both the above companies sell them.

Olley
I understand what a macerator does, but if groundside dumps are a bit thin on the ground, how does this help?

You still need somewhere to put your "end" be it 1" or 3"

Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,264 Posts
Hi Andrew as they will pump to over 100', (depending on model) you can put it where you like. :lol:

Usually in the Elsan dump or whatever else you euro guys are using.

Olley

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
olley said:
Hi Andrew as they will pump to over 100', (depending on model) you can put it where you like. :lol:

Olley
So how do you get the liquid that remains in the pipe out if it is uphill?

Derek

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
olley said:

Olley
Olley, I must have led a sheltered life, because I can't say I've ever seen it being done.

On my van I got the worst of both worlds, a fixed tank with a small capacity :lol:

Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,264 Posts
hi, never had a situation where the dump was higher than my macerator, my outlet is over 2' off the ground. However if I did, the worst I will get is a bit of soapy water over my hands, as I remove the macerator and raise it up in the air.

Their won't be much in the pipe as the macerator will have sucked air down the pipe as the liquid ended.

The only time I have had trouble was my own fault, when I first fitted it I used the wrong cable, and blew the fuse halfway through a black dump. :oops: Nothing for it but to close the valve and remove a macerator full of poo, plus of course what poured out of the short section of pipe after the valve. I think its called "getting down and dirty" :lol:

Olley

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi

The macerator I bought from Duncan has a connection for a water hose so you can back flush both the grey and the black tanks and then the macerator so all is clean.

The macerator fits directly on the end of the 3" pipe on the RV you also need a suitable electrical connection, you then open the black valve and pump the black tank out when this is finished, open the grey valve and this will back flush the black tank. You then pump out the grey water after this is complete you can then open the fresh water tap on the macerator and fill both the tanks with clean water once this is done you can then pump this out. This leaves everything sparkly clean. The reference to no drive over dump points or ground level points is that on Euro/UK sites they have a raised elsan dump point which is raised off the ground about 2 feet so the macerator not only grinds all to small size but also allows you to pump up to 100ft with the correct hoses thus you can pump into the raised dump point.

Hope this helps
Kevin and Tricia

·
Premium Member
27,800 Posts
Rick.
First beware of leaving bleach in your RV waste tanks. It pickles the gate valve seals..!!!!
Use a bucket of ice cubes to clean out the debris in the black tank and take the rig on a short run.

Usually and I can only stress USUALLY there will be a man hole cover near most toilet blocks both in campsites or supermarkets that can be lifted to empty your waste both in France and UK.

So you will need a large lever or screwdriver to lift these lids.
I do have some spare US hoses and clamps if you are passing Lower Normandy

Ray.

·
Premium Member
5,264 Posts
Hi have to say I do grin a little at shows when I see all you euro guys struggling to the dump point with your thetfords. :D

If the daughters are not with us we can easily go a week between empting, if they are; we are lucky to go a day. :(

Olley

·
Premium Member
27,800 Posts
Thanks Olly,
Now I know what's involved I see why Euro Sheds use the campsite facilities.

Rick, just one other point. If you do get a macerator beware that anything other than toilet tissue will jam it up. Things like wetwipes and even some fibrous hand wipes will clog. Unblocking a clogged macerator will remain etched in your memory forever.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
5,264 Posts
raynipper said:
Rick, just one other point. If you do get a macerator beware that anything other than toilet tissue will jam it up. Things like wetwipes and even some fibrous hand wipes will clog. Unblocking a clogged macerator will remain etched in your memory forever.

Ray.
Hi Ray nobody told me that when I first got mine. :oops: not a mistake you make twice.

Olley

·
Premium Member
27,800 Posts
Yes Olley.
One of my claims to fame was getting up close and personal to many female stars and celebrities when they clogged the RV loo.

You can imagine how personal we had to get...!!! :roll:

Ray.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.