Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we have officially left the full-timing life now after three wonderful years - :cry:
yesterday we sadly waved goodbye to our lovely motorhome as the new (MHF members) owners picked it up. Feel quite envious of the adventures they'll be having in the future but wish them all the best.

So, the search will begin for a smaller, cheaper, more credit crunch friendly motorhome to tootle around in at weekends and for holidays now that we are living in bricks and mortar again. Any suggestions?

Sue

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
Hi

We too have recently returned to bricks and mortar after two and half years full timing! We kept our old Hymer B544 though and find it perfect for holidays and weekends away.

Perhaps we ought to start a new club where we can all commiserate with each other after giving up the full timing lifestyle :lol:

Pat

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Hi Sue,

So pleased to hear that your beautiful motorhome has gone to a home where she will be adored and appreciated and I only wish we could have afforded to take her off your hands cos as you know, the Concorde Charisma is my absolute dream machine! :D

Try not to regret your decision too much as I think fulltiming in a MH must have it's inevitable drawbacks? And as much as I would love to enjoy the freedom and adventures that fulltiming allows, I am sure that after a while the novelty value would wear off and I would miss my home terribly and be keen to return to all our home and creature comforts? I think for some people fulltiming is a dream come true and enhances their life 100% but for others, maybe the lack of somewhere permanent to call home makes them feel somewhat vulnerable? Like I say, I do not know what it feels like on a personal level but I am sure there must be many occasions when anyone who has sold up and is permanently living in their motorhome (no matter how luxurious) must yearn and miss the space and security of bricks and mortar? So, Sue if this is the reason you have given up the fulltiming lifestyle then I am sure you are not alone in this decision and the fulltiming way of life is not for everyone!

However, once you have decided on which MH will best replace your lovely Concorde you can once again get back to enjoying the novelty, fun and freedom of going away on motorhoming holidays whenever the fancy takes you. I love our motorhome adventures and there is absolutely nothing wrong with enjoying the best of both worlds! I always think there is something very exciting and adventurous about getting the MH ready for a weekend trip or a couple of weeks away in the sun isn't there? And whenever we are planning a trip I am full of eager anticipation hee hee! :)

Good luck in your new home and all the best for the future! :D

Sue

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the kind words everybody.

Our decision to stop fulltiming was partly financial (well, we were living off the interest of our savings 8O ) and partly for family reasons, elderly parents, grandchildren who've arrived since we first set off etc, etc.

Sonesta - one of the best things about being back in a house is having a tap with running water gushing out of it and not having to go anywhere to replenish the supply!

We're looking forward to choosing another motorhome and zooming off for weekends and holidays, just need to decide what kind of motorhome we need....................... :? :? :?

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
Yes couldn't agree more about running water - I still have a feeling of pleasure when I turn on the tap (and flush the toilet :oops: )

I also am enjoying being part of a community again. Nice though it was to meet lots of interesting people it is not quite the same as old friends and neighbours. I have to say they were all a bit cool towards us at first when we returned to our house. I suppose they had to learn to trust us again. All fine now though and of course we can still clear off at a moments notice if we want to.

The down side is all the housework :evil: and maintenance - ah well better get the lawnmower out :roll:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Ex fulltimers

:D Ciao tutti, and welcome home, wherever that is.
We read a lot on the forums about the advantnages of full timing and the reasons for taking it up. So how about on this thread enlarging on the disadvantages, and why the return to bricks and mortar.
Should make interesting reading.
saluti,
eddied

·
Rest In Peace Mike, 1944-2017.
14,576 Posts
Catznotaway :roll:

what will the mice do ??

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Sue.

I felt really bad when i read your post about having to sell your beloved Concorde and how you felt when it went off.......but then I thought, look at it another way. It had to be sold to enable you to have a change of lifestyle and follow new dreams.

I know the new owners will love it and look after it as much as you did, and hopefully have lots of great adventures and trips in it. :wink:

I can say this with certainty, as we are the proud new owners of this lovely M/H. :smilecolros:

We ( well ok, mainly me :roll: ) have always wanted a Concorde and to be honest it was always just a dream (and the subject of much light hearted banter). Now, because of Sue's change of circumstances, we have the opportunity realise that dream.

Sue, you may have had to back track on your dreams for a time, but you have a lot of great memories to look back on and I am sure that you will find the right M/H again - when the time is right.

We will keep in touch and let you know what 'your' pride & joy is up to.

Many thanks........must go and find a 'home' for everything. :lol: :lol:

Mary

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Re: Ex fulltimers

eddied said:
So how about on this thread enlarging on the disadvantages, and why the return to bricks and mortar.
Should make interesting reading.
I second that. Would be very interested to hear the reasons why people give up on fulltiming also.

Karl

·
Premium Member
8,333 Posts
We rented out our house to go full timing and lived off the money generated from that.

We learned that if you rent out your main residence for up to 3 years you are exempt from Capital Gains Tax when you come to sell it. But if you rent it out for longer you become liable to CGT on part of the sale proceeds.

Added to that our tennants were self building houses and living in our house while they did it. The last house they built they were unable to sell because of the credit crunch :evil: . They were, therefore, moving out and it seemed that everything was stacking up to mean that we had to move back into the house. It needs some work doing to it anyway :roll: .

Financially it has been very difficult because we didn't have jobs to return to. We are getting work where we can and managing on a small private pension while we wait for the state one to kick in in a year or so.

Would I do it again? Yes, without a doubt. Everything fell into place last time. Redundancy, good tennants etc and I am sure that when the time is right then it will happen again. Life has a pattern, I believe, and we will look back and say that what we are doing now was meant to be, just as our wonderful adventure in our motorhome was meant to be. We were determined not to say "if only we had ............." when we were old. Having lost close relatives and friends who had not achieved their life's dream we made up our minds to make our dream come true before it was too late.

My next dream is to be able to afford to keep the house, as I absolutely love it, and still be able to travel whenever and wherever we wanted. The other half would just sell up and go but I think that women are nesters and it is harder for us to burn all our bridges.
Now where is that lottery ticket :lol:

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
mota-oma said:
Hi Sue.

I felt really bad when i read your post about having to sell your beloved Concorde and how you felt when it went off.......but then I thought, look at it another way. It had to be sold to enable you to have a change of lifestyle and follow new dreams.

I know the new owners will love it and look after it as much as you did, and hopefully have lots of great adventures and trips in it. :wink:

I can say this with certainty, as we are the proud new owners of this lovely M/H. :smilecolros:

We ( well ok, mainly me :roll: ) have always wanted a Concorde and to be honest it was always just a dream (and the subject of much light hearted banter). Now, because of Sue's change of circumstances, we have the opportunity realise that dream.

Sue, you may have had to back track on your dreams for a time, but you have a lot of great memories to look back on and I am sure that you will find the right M/H again - when the time is right.

We will keep in touch and let you know what 'your' pride & joy is up to.

Many thanks........must go and find a 'home' for everything. :lol: :lol:

Mary
Hi Mary,

I too have always yearned for a Concorde so I can 100% appreciate how excited you were at buying Sue's pride and joy.

I wish you lots of happy travels in your new purchase and if our paths ever cross then I would appreciate an invite inside your MH for a nosey and envious little peek! :lol:

Have fun.

Sue

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Sonesta.

Many thanks for your good wishes.
You will be more than welcome to have a look around if / when we meet up.

Don't give up on your dream M/H, but at the same time enjoy your A/T 840. As you will note, we had the same vehicle.......and enjoyed many adventures. I thought that the lounge was soooooo comfy. Bathroom perfect size. Beds could have been a tad longer though. Make the most of all the storage, as I think you would be hard pushed to find another M/H with as much storage (garage or not!!).

I think fate must have played a big part in our buying the Concorde. As usually happens, we had no intention of changing at that time, but we had been discussing going back to a M/H with a garage and maybe slightly shorter than the 840. Then there it was, just waiting for us :lol:

Have a good day. I must press on with finding homes for everything.

Goodbye Autotrail :cry: Hello Concorde :lol:

Mary

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.