Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,420 Posts
Hi,

I had a 2000 Top Driver 52 from new (X635WRB, wonder if its still about?).

Mine was on the 2.8idtd and went like poo off the proverbial although as mentioned the 1.9 obviously wasn't as quick but would be adequate for such a small van. I didn't realise they did one with the 2.5 engine, must have been some of the very first ones.

The layout was great for us with one of the best kitchen layouts ever and compact dimensions that won us over.

Now the bad bits

About 18 months from new damp appeared in the rear corner by the locker door and all along the rear end of the floor and needed extensive warranty repairs to sort out.
Unfortunately about 6months later the damp was back again so we got a favourable trade in deal with another van from the same dealer and got rid.

Get a proper damp check and if its there - walk away.

Great van and we really liked it apart from the damp obviously. If it hadn't had that problem we would have kept it much longer.

The electric step (Project 2000) was another known problem for failing on these vans although ours was ok.

Check the foam in the dinette seating and the overcab bed, it was cheap and known to sag making it uncomfortable to sit and sleep on after a while.

All in all, a great little van at a great new price, but let down a bit (on ours) by dubious build quality, they cut corners to get that price imo, they sold very well though.

I think Knaus did one with a similar layout and compact length around that time if you can find one of them.

Pete

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.