Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The implementation of the Etias visa system is to be delayed yet again it will now be go live in Nov 2023 also this is the date Croatia will now join Schengen

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Reading about the ETIAS thing it doesn't look too onerous for us Brits and we will not need a Visa.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Marvelous. My long trip to Europe plan included two months in Croatia to bypass the 90 days Schengen rule. FFS! :( Brexit. The gift that keeps on giving.
Go further east young man, Russia is unlikely to be joining the Schengen Area for the foreseeable, and no doubt will be welcoming tourists. Just ensure you don't have a UK sticker stuck on your rear end.

·
Premium Member
31,998 Posts
Go further east young man, Russia is unlikely to be joining the Schengen Area for the foreseeable, and no doubt will be welcoming tourists. Just ensure you don't have a UK sticker stuck on your rear end.
I do know a couple who did go to Russia a few years back in their van as part of a huge tour to every country in Europe. I think they only stopped one night. Everywhere they tried to stay was according to them a bit scary and they ended up spending the night at the airport.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As that tour group with regards to Russia, so might it be for a few of the first timers trying Morocco as a 90 day extender! I've known quite a few motorhoming first timers cross to Tangier and not long after arrival find themselves not quite appreciating some aspects of the "warm" local welcome, they then get the next ferry back to Spain, thanking El Cid.:giggle:

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Don't say that :)...as we have it mind to pop over to Morocco for a few days on one of our winter Spanish trips. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
If motorhoming then probably best to miss Tangier, at least initially. A few years ago the ferry port was just about in the city itself, nowadays it's a new facility just outside the city limits which gets you directly on to the main roads. Pity Tangier has a certain reputation to live down, part of its attraction to me, not so perhaps, the persistent hustling of tourists aspect. I can quite understand how some bods get put off. But of course Tangier isn't a typical example of a Moroccan city, most are much more benign. However there's a lot of youth unemployment, and these guys have 24hours a day in which to devise cunning little ruses to separate well off tourists from their Dirhams. Similar to ice cream sellers in central London the b'stards:(
I'm always on my guard when I hear those words come out of nowhere in Maroc, "hello my friend" o_O

·
Premium Member
15,696 Posts
Having a beard I get the "hello Ali Baba", one thing that did intrigue me was the oft heard greeting "lovely jubbly" in the towns south of the High Atlas. Only fools and horses fans?

Reactions: Camion

·
Premium Member
15,696 Posts
The implementation of the Etias visa system is to be delayed yet again it will now be go live in Nov 2023 also this is the date Croatia will now join Schengen
Montenegro? Small but similar to Croatia and cheaper with an italian flavour, currency the euro and it's even got it's own Venetian empire city in Kotor.

Reactions: GMJ

·
Registered
84 Posts
[QUOTE="Glandwr, post: 3240342,
Having a beard I get the "hello Ali Baba", one thing that did intrigue me was the oft heard greeting "lovely jubbly" in the towns south of the High Atlas. Only fools and horses fans?
[/QUOTE]

A favourite is moustache naturally directed at those that sport one. A typical ruse used to get a tourist into a shop pre internet days was to proffer a postcard written up in English or French then ask the tourist to translate it for them, in the shop of course. Very difficult for a newbie to refuse without being felt to be causing offence.
Over the years I've come across quite a few dodgy practices in Maroc mostly fairly innocuous, & some not so tame, & some Delboy would be proud to call his own.

·
Premium Member
15,696 Posts
[QUOTE="Glandwr, post: 3240342,
A favourite is moustache naturally directed at those that sport one. A typical ruse used to get a tourist into a shop pre internet days was to proffer a postcard written up in English or French then ask the tourist to translate it for them, in the shop of course. Very difficult for a newbie to refuse without being felt to be causing offence.
Over the years I've come across quite a few dodgy practices in Maroc mostly fairly innocuous, & some not so tame, & some Delboy would be proud to call his own.
[/QUOTE]
I was really taken how my school boy french seemed to be completely understood, whereas in France I have real difficulty :D :D

• Haha
Reactions: GMJ and raynipper

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
The initial plan for us visiting would be to play it safe and just drive to Chefchaouen for a couple of nights. I believe that there is a campsite on the edge of town.

·
Premium Member
15,696 Posts
The initial plan for us visiting would be to play it safe and just drive to Chefchaouen for a couple of nights. I believe that there is a campsite on the edge of town.
Good plan you will definitely get a flavour of the country. But be warned it can take a couple of weeks to work through the culture shock of arriving in Maroc before you can relax enough to enjoy it. There is a campsite there but facilities are fairly basic. It's in walking distance of the city and you get a good view of the city walls as you walk in. Taxis are very cheap if often ramshackle. Big ones called grande taxis (the mercs) are used for intercity and usually shared. The small ones for local. Every thing is negotiable BUT it must be remembered that all negotiations are in good humor. Something that newbies sometimes don't get.

Reactions: GMJ

·
Registered
84 Posts
Of the 2, Tangier crossing is preferable to the Ceuta option. Apart from avoiding the current immigration problems at the Ceuta/Maroc frontier, it bypasses the hill drive to the coast and young kids trying their best (as in dangerously) to get you to stop and part with bon bons, or biros.
More usual (not necessarily preferable) is anti clockwise, ie along the coast, campsite at Asilah being first stop for some, although it's Larache, with guardian parking for most.
4 years since my last trip to Maroc, things might well have changed meantime.

This is a long way from the Etias OP!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts