Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd post this in here as well John as it's very useful...

I’ll start by saying that Norway is an exceptionally lovely country, that is if you enjoy mountains, trees, lakes (fresh water) and fiords (salt water), the people in general are very friendly, courteous and helpful, the roads vary from 3 lane motorway to single track dirt, with just about everything in between, a lot of the main roads are toll, there are two tariffs one for up to 3500Kgs and one over; usually the over 3500Kgs is twice the price of under, size is not taken into account only weight
Once away from major towns of which there are really only about 4, Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim and Tromso they are mostly toll free, the road surface even on a major route such as the E6 which is the principal road South to North will change from excellent to bloody awful with many climbs, side barriers are not always present but speed limits are generally low, mostly 80 kph the better 4 lane ones are 90 or 110 kph.
There are many bridges and road tunnels from a few hundred metres long to some of 7 - 8 Kms they vary in type from excellent well lit good sized ones to poorly lit ones that resemble something dug out by trolls with their bare hands, the nastiest one encountered was the one from Kristiansund to the Atlanterhavsveienit (Atlantic road) about 6Kms long and goes under the sea starting with a 3 km stretch going downhill at 10% then straight up for 3 km at 10%, that is quite steep!
A novel experience you will encounter is driving along shall we say the E6 you are suddenly presented with no road but a ferry terminal which the map shows as a continuation of the road you were on, they are all drive on drive off and are very frequent and efficient, most all but the two longer internal ferries we went on are electrically powered, strangely quiet and vibration free.
Road toll collection is automated with camera activation; on our first visit in 2019 we opted to pay via a UK based collection company for which we received an invoice on the completion of our trip. For this trip there has been a change in regulations and it is now very easy to arrange for a toll tag, once applied for from your choice of companies you will receive the tag in the post to your home address, for the one we chose is https://flytpass.no they have an English web site and will communicate in English by using their tag you get an automatic 20% discount on all tolls, the toll stations are very well marked on the road with a camera gantry spanning the lanes along with a notice of the costs, you will get billed monthly and can pay by transfer in euros., remember to apply in good time postage may take 10 days
Take care there are quite a lot of speed cameras some simple fixed ones but many are of the average speed variety and can cover short or long distances always marked by signage though, apparently they do pursue foreign registered vehicle fines.

Dependant on the tag supplier you choose it is possible to get a tag and card for the ferries, we chose AutoPASS for ferje this one is a prepaid, which requires a 3000 NOK (approx 300 euro) deposit again possible to pay by transfer, the added advantage to this one is a 50% discount on all trips for us the system has been excellent and trouble free, any excess credit left when you leave is refunded to you bank.

There are a few aire type stopovers we found, although most park ups are simple places to park for the night (or more) and are free along with of course many places away from civilisation, camp sites vary in quality and price and often the price does not reflect the quality of amenities from around 25 to 50+ euros a night.
We used Campercontact or Park 4 night in the main, also most marina’s (of which there are many) have a motorhome area usually with good facilities but campsite prices.
If you need electric hook up (or clothes washing facilities) you’re stuck with campsite prices also on top of the site price to use the showers is chargeable, usually around 10 NOK for 6 minutes

On our 2019 visit we had mostly very nasty weather, the terrain of the country means that often apart from the low temperature and rain you will get low cloud which meets light fog meaning you get to see nothing of the landscape which can be depressing as when the sun shines it is amazing.
This trip has not been so bad but we did experience a lot of rain, so much so that on our trip to the far North by the time we got to Tromso checked the forecast to find the next 10 days were shown as total rain every day and we’d already had 5 continuous days of it, we aborted our plans for the Nord Cap and headed South again.
One of our biggest disappointments of 2019 was the two main places / sights we wanted to see were Gerainger Trollstigen way and Atlanterhavsveienit when we got to those they were both spoiled by the cold and wet.
We were however lucky this time, although we did have to rethink our itinerary around the weather, the sights and views from Gerainger etc. are an absolute must to do although the general scenery is not so shabby either.

Cost of general foodstuff is considerably more expensive than France and alcohol very much so, wines and spirits can only be purchased at certain times and at government regulated outlets, beer is readily available in supermarkets but around 5 euro for a 50cl tin, also be aware that on all tins / plastic bottles you will see them marked as + pant which is a surcharge of usually 2 or 3 NOK paid on purchase but refunded when you return the can or bottle to the store, this is their version of recycling, in the entrance foyer of the shops there are machines you “post” your bottles and cans into, in return you get a voucher for the value of the pant to spend in the shop.
Eating out is also more costly and a beer in a restaurant will cost you 12euro.

Today we are back in Denmark, Ferry from Oslo to Frederikshavn last night first thing that took my notice diesel at €1.46!! now sitting in van for lunch break having found a farm based stopover for €10 inc. electric hook up (having problems with vans 12 volt system).
After the every day unforgettable scenery of Norway, Denmark is flat and unremarkable.

I'll add some pictures if anyone is interested.

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure we can wait John

·
Premium Member
10,913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anyone looking at/following this thread and planning a trip to Scandinavia, it would also be worth reading Steve's (aka Dogslow) thread here too...

Makes me feel cold just looking at it :)

·
Premium Member
17,163 Posts
John, that’s more than two 😀 Thank you.
The ship is definitely a she 👍.
I think I might have reversed back down that road, it looks as if you are about to drop off the edge of the world.
A picture certainly can paint a thousand words, what wonderful scenery. A few of my German friends like to go to Norway, maybe I can tag along with them next year, hopefully I will have the Navajo back and still be fit enough to use it.
The 3 bears look very interested in the view.
The bridge Mrs John is standing on, is that something special.?

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
John, that’s more than two 😀 Thank you.
The ship is definitely a she 👍.
I think I might have reversed back down that road, it looks as if you are about to drop off the edge of the world.
A picture certainly can paint a thousand words, what wonderful scenery. A few of my German friends like to go to Norway, maybe I can tag along with them next year, hopefully I will have the Navajo back and still be fit enough to use it.
The 3 bears look very interested in the view.
The bridge Mrs John is standing on, is that something special.?
It's a viewing platform, of which there are many in strategic places.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
The ship is one of the Aida fleet there was another identical (but different name) at the Oslo dock when we got on our ferry back to Denmark.
The road that looks like the edge of the world is also one of many, spectacularly breath-taking (according to Mrs eurajohn)

Yes the bears were less than interested, worn out from too much to see.

·
Premium Member
2,325 Posts
It was a photo of that bridge (and of the Priests Rock) that encouraged us to add Norway to our bucket list. Our plan is to follow Steve's route to Nordkapp (definitely not in Winter) and then return down the West Coast and perhaps take the ferry from Kristiansand to Holland.......that's if we have any money left.

I'd be very interested in your route and stopovers when you have any time. Are you still using a UK sim for internet or local.
Thanks for the photos.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
It was a photo of that bridge (and of the Priests Rock) that encouraged us to add Norway to our bucket list. Our plan is to follow Steve's route to Nordkapp (definitely not in Winter) and then return down the West Coast and perhaps take the ferry from Kristiansand to Holland.......that's if we have any money left.

I'd be very interested in your route and stopovers when you have any time. Are you still using a UK sim for internet or local.
Thanks for the photos.
Hi Peter and Carmel for the route etc I'll contact you via PM to give you access to my Polar Steps which will show all including some pictures.
I'm not UK based but France, the SIM we used for internet access is one issued by a Spanish company (it's a Vodafone one) 300Gb for €39.99 a month and can be suspended at request, fully useable across Europe, it has been brilliant
Data SIM
If you have any queries about it you can e mail Camino at [email protected] she is very quick to reply.
I guess you mean Kristiansand in Norway to Holland, have you seen the price of that ferry :oops: .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts