Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Is there somwhere on this site or somwhere else a checklist of all the stuff you need to think about for a European Tour. Im more concerned about what I need to take to stay within the law and also what extra equipment I will need for the van. For example warning triangles, high vis jackets, hook up adaptors etc. We have a scooter and rack. Do I need to put a warning sign on it (I think some countries you do). We are hopefully off on a trial run in a couple of weeks time and hope to stay in Europe for 2 months or so to see how we get on, what it costs us and if we would like to do it full time so I dont want to get there and find I need all sorts of stuff I should have bought in the UK. Any advice appreciated.

Also while I am on I think we are going to start in Normandy and Brittany. Presumably the fast ferry from Portsmouth to Cherbourg is the best bet. Michelle wants to go to Mont St Michel and I want to see some of the war graves. After that we have no plans. Fire away!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
For visiting Utah beach in Normandy and for a handy first night stop over from Cherbourg, I can recommend Sainte Mere l'Eglise aire. It is only about forty minutes from the ferry and was the first village liberated by the Americans. There is a aviation museum there and it is a lovely little place. The aire is in the square behind the church and is about a twenty minutes easy drive to Utah beach.
There is also a campsite just outside the town, I have no knowledge of what it is like. The aire has a public toilet, bin but not hookup and can't remember if there is a water tap.
We found Utah beach to be a very emotional place to visit, even though we have no direct connection to the war. The museum there however, was very pricey, at E16 per person, but there is probably enough to see without going into it. Public loo beside it and large carpark.

Have fun, am envious.

Ca

·
Premium Member
31,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that. Thats where we will head then for the first night. We have only really started talking about actually doing it this afternoon and we are possibly looking at three weeks time or less so I guess I had better get planning. From conversations this afternoon with Mrs D we thought about doing the Normandy war graves, Brittany and then winding our way at a slow pace through France gradually heading south. I then thought about going across to Italy, maybe to Venice and then the Italian Lakes. After that I though perhaps Switzerland, The Black Forest and then Northern France, Maybe Paris and then home. I haven’t even got or looked at an Atlas (Anyone recommend one?). This route is just in my head so is probably not perfect! We like to be in remote and picturesque places and love little rural villages (hang on this sounds like home) but equally it would be fun to see places like Monaco although we will probably hate it and leave straight away but then discovery is all part of the game I suppose. Taking all this in mind I would be very grateful if anyone comes back with any recommendations based on those ideas. Although I have been to France once it was when I was 15 so I know very little about it. I would hate to find that we had driven across it and missed something special. Italy I know a little better. We would prefer to Wildcamp, use Aires or small CL type sites in that order where possible.

Regards
Barry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.