Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an autoroller 141 and would like to fit an awning.
Has anyone got any advice or fitted their own? or should I get it fitted by a dealer. I know what size I need and they are around £315.00 to purchase but I have had quotes for it fitted between £450-£599

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Hello and welcome.

How old is your motorhome and is it still under warranty against water ingress.
If you fit it yourself would this affect your warranty in the event of a claim as you are piercing the skin.

Just a thought.

Gillian

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

The motorhome is now 2 years old and out of warranty.

I am not worried about the holes as I can seal them with HM Silicone but wondered if you had to secure the awning through the timber struts in the skin? These would be difficult to find through the aluminium skin and insulation. Or is the foam insulation and aluminium strong enough?

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
I can't give you any information regarding the strength of the panels.
I can tell you that our 3.5m Fiamma awning has bolts right through the side wall and a plate on the inside which is covered by a custom made plastic cover/box.

I don't think the walls can be fantastically strong.There are known cases on internet groups where the awning has been taken over the van by a sudden gust of wind and damaged the inside of the wall after partly pulling the bolt through.

HTH

Gillian

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Both our vans have had them fitted when we got the vans, but looking in the cupboards there seems be be evidence of some sort of reinforcement. I have watched the fitters at shows and they dont hang around around in fitting them so if you are reasonably handy DIY wise and understand you have to seal well I would say have a go. You may or may not be aware there are differnet mounting brackets for different profiles of vans and also a gap filler tape that goes along the top to stop the drips coming down the side of the van panel or windows (the dreaded black lines!)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.