Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Hi All.

Went to the Newbury Show last weekend with a round trip milage of 273 mostly motorway driving, with light traffic. Only managed 21 MPG is this about right. I drive with a very light right foot, cannot get van to run in 5th gear below 55 mph without loosing a lot of speed up any incline. Van is Burstner 748-2. Any advice welcome. 8O

steve & ann ---teensvan.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Steve and Ann,

Sounds familiar - my average over the last 4000 miles is just under 21mpg - Hymer B644G mostly towing a Fiat Seicento - I would guess the combined mass is about the same as your 748-2.

If your mh is new, it might improve with a few thousand miles on the engine.

I would also be interested to know what others are getting.

Raymond

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
24mpg on a reasonably brisk drive (mixed motorway/'A'/'B' roads) 2.4 turbo diesel Transit coachbuilt. I had hoped to get 26+mpg. Too optimistic?

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I get 24 if I'm lucky in a 1.9TD with a full porta pottie and tail wind. But I have seen some claims on the last website of low 30's for a 2.8td - have you released the handbrake?

·
Registered
421 Posts
My 2.2 Peugeot with, currently 1800 miles on the clock, seems to be averaging 30.5mpg. This is based on the last 1000 miles using a litre to gallons conversion of 4.54. Mixed motorway and A road use (I rarely go above 60 on motorways and try to slipstream artics using the "only a fool...." rule).

From everything I heard I expected 23-25mpg, is there a secret fuel tank I don't know about?

Peter

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
8O I don't think this helps? But I used to get 7.5 to 8.5 on petrol and 6.5 and 7.5 on LPG with my old 454 Chevy. With my New (old) 454 Chevy I get between 8 and 9 (I haven't converted it to LPG yet). YOU LUCKY PEOPLE. :oops:

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
johnsandywhite said:
8O I don't think this helps? But I used to get 7.5 to 8.5 on petrol and 6.5 and 7.5 on LPG with my old 454 Chevy. With my New (old) 454 Chevy I get between 8 and 9 (I haven't converted it to LPG yet). YOU LUCKY PEOPLE. :oops:

Just as well we invaded Iraq then. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
Don't wish to rock the boat, but, who cares!! I didn't spend 45k on a 'van to worry about fuel consumption. Don't get me wrong, I don't blatantly waste fuel and I like to have an idea of range in a tankful etc. We set off with full water tanks and whatever else we want for our comfort and enjoyment. :D

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Maverick said:
Don't wish to rock the boat, but, who cares!! I didn't spend 45k on a 'van to worry about fuel consumption. Don't get me wrong, I don't blatantly waste fuel and I like to have an idea of range in a tankful etc. We set off with full water tanks and whatever else we want for our comfort and enjoyment. :D
:D My own sentiments exactly. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've just had my first trip in a new fiat 2.8jtd towing a car with 8 spare wheels and returned at 17mpg. It cost be £40 for the trip. I followed my friend who has a 4year old 2.8ltd and it cost him £25, so I would hope for a lot more.
I'm off to France next week without towing so I will see what it does then.
If it is not much better then I will be in touch with the main dealer as they told me approx 28mpg.
And yes I do care. Although it cost a lot of money it is on hp so the pennies do count.
Paul.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Pusser said:
I get 24 if I'm lucky in a 1.9TD with a full porta pottie and tail wind. But I have seen some claims on the last website of low 30's for a 2.8td - have you released the handbrake?
We hired a year old 2.8ltr 6 berth Benimar from RDH Motorhomes (now no longer, I see) a couple of years ago and this returned slightly over 30 mpg. We have never been able to repeat this. I guess an engine thrashed from new is going to be fairly loose and so return good mpg.
Our well cared for 1996 2.5ltr Hymer does 25-28 mpg with 42k on the clock.

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Maverick said:
I spent 14K which is probably why I do care. I suspect if I could afford a biggy then I suppose the fuel costs pale into insignificance although I think out of habit I would still worry about it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi steve

my 747 returns about 400 miles per tank, i dont hang about either, go canny on a and b roads but on motorway i sit at 70+ most of the time, mainly to get me up the hills that appear on occasions
If i dont get a run at the hills, jumbo dies on me and then its an awful things

I am thinking of fitting the smartbox made by Van AAken, it costs about £450 and can by fitted by them or yourself, all the reports are favourable and say that they are not changing gear so often

Paul

·
Registered
54 Posts
mph

Hi
I own a 5yr old fait 2.8idtd with a auto trail body for 2 yrs and has being getting a contant 29+ mpg. this was travelling for 22 days in Scotland last yr. I wouldnt ask for more.

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I don't really understand what appear to me to be massive differences sometimes with similar mothorhomes. There must be more to it than mere weight or driving technique. Clues welcomed.

·
Premium Member
7,022 Posts
Pusser said:
I don't really understand what appear to me to be massive differences sometimes with similar mothorhomes. There must be more to it than mere weight or driving technique. Clues welcomed.
I would think body styling would be the most significant factor and then weight. Mine, on a Mercedes 316 CDI returns on average 24mpg with little change when towing. Some may think knowing this is irrelevant, but how else are we to spot things going awry if we do not monitor engine performance. Might as well not bother with engine temperature gauges and such like either? :D

peedee

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.