Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the Fiat serviced last week and was informed that the vehicle had a call back regarding the speed sensor, I asked what the was problem with the one already fitted.
I was told that it was showing a faster speed then the actual road speed, I have had the motorhome for four years and never noticed that it was travelling 4 to 5 miles slower.
I hope this has not been covered before, if it has sorry, but hope some people reading this, like me may have missed it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The new part for the speedo was fitted without charge.
At speeds lower than sixty my garmin appeared to show about 2 to 3 miles out the MPH seemed to get further out the faster I went.
My motorhome is out of warranty.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I've had a tomtom for quite a few years and have changed my cars several times and the tomtom twice.

The tomtom as always read about 5-10% slower than all my cars speedos have indicated.

Never quite sure which one to believe when going through a speed trap.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I thought it was a requirement for the speedo not to read under actual speed and therefore quite normal for there to be a discrepancy with SatNav which I think is pretty accurate.

JohnW

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I've had a tomtom for quite a few years and have changed my cars several times and the tomtom twice.

The tomtom as always read about 5-10% slower than all my cars speedos have indicated.

Never quite sure which one to believe when going through a speed trap.
Yep, me too, including my 05 plate ducato motorhome. I have always thought vehicle speedo's read slightly fast. The satnav is likely to be the most accurate.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Construction and Use regulations state that a speedo can read up to 10% faster than the actual speed, but cannot read less than the actual speed. This means that in the examples given the speedos are not faulty.
Gerry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.