Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Fiat Ducato 2.5TD based Hymer which has started behaving erratically periodically.
It usually happens when the engine is warm and following a short stop after a fairly long run. eg stopping for fuel.
The engine starts and ticks over fine. It pulls away fine until I press the accelerator more than about half way down. The engine then suddenly loses all power until I ease off the throttle to less than half, then it starts to pull again.
If the vehicle is stationary the engine revs as normal up to about half throttle. If I go over that, the engine power dies and the revs drop to tickover and then it hunts between tickover speed and about 1500 revs(rough guess). If I ease the throttle back it accelerates properly.
It behaves like this for between 30 seconds and 20 minutes and then seems to clear and be fine.
It is driveable, but makes hills and passing vehicles "interesting"
My first thought is fuel / air problem
Any ideas where to look first?
How much and how difficult to fix?
TIA
Mervyn

·
Registered
355 Posts
Hi, I know yours is a diesel but I had simmilar problem in and old Talbot Hitop with a 2lt petrol. Advise given ranged from muck in the carb, to taking out he tank and flushing.

What it was was the flexible fabric fuel lines to the carb had perished. They were oozing fuel. Going up hill, overtaking etc became very interesting!!!!.

First place to look, and probably the cheapest, check your fuel lines. Could also be partially blocked injectors??

Hope you solve the prob.

·
Registered
18,303 Posts
I sawon anearlier post something similar to what you describe.
If i remember correctly the fault was a waste gate valve sticking in the exhaust. This seems to happen to engines that have been stood for long periods.

Someone more knowledgeable than I should come along soon.

Cheers
Dave P

·
Registered
288 Posts
Is your throttle a cable or an electrical connection?

I had the opposite (nothing until half throttle, then fine all the way to full throttle) and it turned out to be a dodgy electrical connection between the throttle pedal and the ECU thingie.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No. I'm afraid this is long before the "fly by wire" throttle control.

The van also has regular doses of Millers additive, so the injectors should be in fine fettle.

From suggestions so far I think it is most likely a fuel starvation or "air in system" problem.

I just need some advice as to where to start looking.

As you know A Class Hymers are not renowned for their engine accessibility, unless, of course, you happen to be a gynaecologist.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have just had the same problem with an older van. The problem was a blocked fuel filter in the fuel tank. A garage lowered the tank enough to be able to take out the filter to find it encrusted with grot. They cleaned it and got as much grot out of the tank as possible but as tank was full at the time they couldn't take it off. When I get back from France I will have the tank taken off and cleaned properly or replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have just had the same problem with an older van. The problem was a blocked fuel filter in the fuel tank. A garage lowered the tank enough to be able to take out the filter to find it encrusted with grot. They cleaned it and got as much grot out of the tank as possible but as tank was full at the time they couldn't take it off. When I get back from France I will have the tank taken off and cleaned properly or replaced.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would suggest you get the bonnet up and check the pipes feeding the air filter etc. even check the air filter.

I had the Peugeot 2.5 Td and split the turbo pipe which runs over the engine to the rear and the Turbo. Not the same symptoms but it does sound like you're loosing air to the intake. Rubber pipework does get a beating in the heat of the engine comparment.

Trev

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
DTPCHEMICALS said:
I sawon anearlier post something similar to what you describe.
If i remember correctly the fault was a waste gate valve sticking in the exhaust. This seems to happen to engines that have been stood for long periods.

Someone more knowledgeable than I should come along soon.

Cheers
Dave P
I think you will find that its the opposite way around the exaust gate valve sticking is overcome at higher throttles (not that throttle is the right word anymore :) )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.