Motorhome Facts Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1,216 Posts
key symbol

had big problems with this key
first in france in 2005 i stopped to get out and study one of the "you are here map's " van would not start , had on about 4 occasions previously not been able to start or even turn over always rectified itself, on this occasion had to eventually call for breakdown assistance europ assist wonderful service ,breakdown truck arrived before tea was cool enough to drink, couldn't repair in situ so transported our 3mt high A class on the back of his standard lorry gulp.
after much to and froing europ assist were going to fly the spare key 'yes the red one that i couldn't convince anyone that i'd never had ' out ,one little old chap found where a wire was rubbing on the radiator and earthing out 2 inches of insulation tape later we were on our way.
about a year later at home the van would not start and again this key code box was found to be responsible , under pressure of catching a ferry in 6 hour's time the mech removed the box entirely had no troubles since , yes i'm without a security device but i'm willing to live with that.
as a footnote my mate was on his way home from france and spent a weekend stranded on an industrial estate for a weekend with the same box faulty eventually had it removed also because he was going to have to wait a week for one to be flown in from italy and would cost £200 fitted ,£20 to have it removed instead.

· Registered
1,408 Posts
Although the card is mentioned in the instruction book I gather that they are not provided in this country at the request of the insurance companies. The VIN number will identify the key code required.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
Re: Am I too old to need one?!

grout20 said:
Hi all,

Can anyone advise when this "red master key" became standard issue ... if they are, that is.....

I've a 1996 Fiat Ducato 2.5TD based Swift, and as you can guess I've not had it from new, and I haven't got a red master key!

Here's hoping someone will post a reply along the lines of "Don't worry John, yours is too old"

(No "off topic" comments required on that last bit, please...! :roll: )

cheers!

john
Sorry John-ours is a 1996 and we have a red key...... :(

· Registered
223 Posts
Re: Am I too old to need one?!

[/quote]
Sorry John-ours is a 1996 and we have a red key...... :([/quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh noooooooooooo!!

(Waleem .... can I have yours?!)

:roll:

cheers

john

· Registered
196 Posts
Ah ha.
So, should I have got a red key as well as two black ones with my 2005 ducato based Lunar Champ then?
(got it a month ago from a local dealer)
Actually, thinking about it; we've an Alfa too thats 2004, which only came (new) with 2 black keys, whereas the previous Alfa (P-reg) had 2 keys and a red one too...
Mmmm.
Thanks in advance, anyone who knows for sure.

Ste. P.

· Premium Member
7,957 Posts
Doesn't this also depend on which engine the Ducato has?

2litre Ducatos have a Peugeot/Citroen HDi engine and Peugeot/Citroen style black "folding" keys, of which SFAIK there is no Red version.

The bigger engines are Fiat sourced (I believe) and probably have Fiat sourced keys as well

As to the Fiat Code immobilisor system there are 2 versions the early system (Code I) >2000(ish) has 2 Blue (user) and 1 Red (master) keys.
The later system (Code II) 2000(ish)> just has 2 Blue user Keys.

That is how it is for their cars at any rate.

· Registered
182 Posts
I've just flicked through this thread and wondered if anyone knows how the security system works with the X 2/50 chassis. I've got an Autotrail 3.0litre Cheyenne and when I bought it privately it came with the main key with a fob which remotely locks the cab and the habitation area and can unlock each area separately plus a key with a much smaller fob which starts the engine and manually unlocks the doors but has no remote functions.

I thought that Fiats also came with a Keycode Card but the previous owner can't find it and can't remember ever having had one.

Is this what 'Safari Boy' was referring to? Do X2/50 vans not come with the Key Card? If so I presume I can get a new remote key and fob cut and programmed via the VIN number and proof of ownership? Would I need to register myself as a new owner other than to get the vehicle registered in my name with DVLC - i.e. is there an owner's register held by somebody else for motorhomes?

I could do with having two independant keys plus an emergency one to start it so I'm wanting to get one more 'full function' key done.

Any answers appreciated...

Regards, Mark

· Registered
1 Posts
Am I too old to need one?! Hi all, Can anyone advise when this "red master key" became standard issue ... if they are, that is..... I've a 1996 Fiat Ducato 2.5TD based Swift, and as you can guess I've not had it from new, and I haven't got a red master key! Here's hoping someone will post a reply along the lines of "Don't worry John, yours is too old" (No "off topic" comments required on that last bit, please...! :roll: ) cheers! john
Mines 1999 and has a red key

· Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
13,720 Posts
Hi Nat n welcome to the forum. That's a very old thread (2009) n grout hasn't posted since 2017. But do join us on other threads and share some of your experiences.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts