Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello, I have read the threads on here regarding the judder on fiat motorhomes, I am looking to buy a motorhome and just wondered if this only affects the new ones?
Pre what year should I be looking at to buy one?
I have been looking at a 2008 swift, does it affect this year or should I just be looking a pre 2006 vehicles to avoid any judder issues?
I know there has been extensive talk on this issue on here, but cannot seem to find from what year vehicles this is an issue, or should I avoid fiat full stop? thankyou

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Hi,
The "judder" affects Fiats on the current chassis, which has been in manufacture since late 2006. It's effect is more prominent on some vehicles and has been reported to be at an unacceptable level on some. Other owners report no effect at all.
To call it a clutch judder is actually incorrect as clutch judder is a very different phenomenon, which affects the clutch acvtivation. It is more a vibration that would be felt through the body as the clutch takes up. It is noticed mostly when reversing up very steep hills or on grass.
The best course of action would be to take your prospective purchase for a test drive and ensure that the test drive includes the opportunity to reverse up the steepest hill that it is safe to use.
There are of course many thousands of very satisfied owners of the current Fiat chassis.
Gerry

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, I am actaully going to view a 2005 630L sundance today, so am hoping it is in good condition. anything apart from that I should look out for? thanks again

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
Gerry has just beaten me to it - I agree with every word.

All base vehicles have drawbacks of some kind, and the Fiat is excellent in all respects other than the judder. (The water ingress is a minor issue, and can be permanently cured in an hour.)

One further thought. The Peugeot base vehicle is virtually the same, except that the 2.2litre, 120bhp engine gives far better fuel economy than the Fiat equivalent! :D :D

Fiat are still prevaricating over the judder issue. 8O

I had a new clutch and gearbox fitted to our Peugeot without any hassle at all. I simply asked the garage to check it and see if they thought it juddered badly enough to warrant attention.

Within ten days the new components had arrived from France ready for fitting, and while they have not completely eliminated the problem it is now much improved and easily manageable. :D

Hope this helps. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Peugeot - and if I really liked a van on a Fiat base I would test drive it first - and buy it without any worries if it didn't judder too much. :D

Dave :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.