Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been pondering this whilst walking the dogs this morning.

When we purchased our Adria last autumn we'd spent months studying form, dragging round dealers and shows like I know a lot of other MHFers do or have done.

One of the things foremost in my mind was that I wanted one of the latest chassises (plural of chassis???). I'd have preferred a Tranny but there were probs with the layout we wanted in any of the Ford converters offerings. Mercs were too expensive, Renaults rare and so we ended up with an X250.

One thing I ignored in all this was the thought of buying a van based on the 'old' Ducato. Principally this was because 'our' layout wasn't available but also because the motorhome press were so effusive in their praise of the newer vans.

So, where does the title of this thread come in?

Think about it. If Fiat had produced a van with no design faults. No scuttle leaks, no reverse judder, no clunk, no rubber floor split then it would be a perfect motorhome base vehicle. Where would that leave them in three to five years time when they want to introduce a new model?

But now they can design a better van without all those issues and the punters will fall over themselves to buy it.

That's marketing - Italian style.

SDA

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I've gone for the easy explanation. Shoddy and limited testing and if the testing found faults then it was too expensive for them to postpone the launch. It would have taken some months to redesign and manufacturer gearbox bits.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pusser said:
I've gone for the easy explanation. Shoddy and limited testing and if the testing found faults then it was too expensive for them to postpone the launch. It would have taken some months to redesign and manufacturer gearbox bits.
Yeah, I was being cynical Pusser.

At the lead up time to launch of the X250 all the main panel van makers were in a flat spin to get new models to market as they perceived they'd lose out to the competition if they didn't have a new van on the forecourts.

Not sure who started the race but there were three runners in Fiat, Ford and Merc. Renault seem to have a different product cycle and chose to sit it out.

The latter two chose partial redesigns where Fiat went the whole hog. Then they found they were running out of time just as you suggest. As a result we have all the probs I outlined.

SDA

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
Steamdrivenandy said:
Pusser said:
Yeah, I was being cynical Pusser.

At the lead up time to launch of the X250 all the main panel van makers were in a flat spin to get new models to market as they perceived they'd lose out to the competition if they didn't have a new van on the forecourts.

Not sure who started the race but there were three runners in Fiat, Ford and Merc. Renault seem to have a different product cycle and chose to sit it out.

The latter two chose partial redesigns where Fiat went the whole hog. Then they found they were running out of time just as you suggest. As a result we have all the probs I outlined.

SDA
Sorry. I of all should have recognised the cynical. And there I was thinking I was coming across as the sensible, knowledgable and even minded and rational member. Say la V. :D

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
richardjames said:
According to Fiat's advert it was designed for conversions 8O 8O
As I've said before just think what it would've been like if it hadn't been 8O or put another way if it was then maybe I'd rather have someone elses that wasn't :roll:

SDA

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
The potential was there for the taking. Why was it not successful? :roll:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
richardjames said:
The potential was there for the taking. Why was it not successful? :roll:
Leaving aside the judder and scuttle issues which affect X250's whether or not they're converted to motorhomes. If you were designing a chassis for motorhome use would you leave a gurt big hole under the unsupported plastic flooring between the front seats?

Where do motorhomers tread when going between cab and van? That's right between the front seats. Duh!

Where does white van man not tread because he has a double passenger seat? Got it in one.

So our X250's were specially designed for motorhomes, except for the bit you tread on.

The excuse is that the converters should reinforce the area, but it's well inside the cab and not in the hab. area so why would they?

Most seemed to believe that Fiat wouldn't be so daft as to mess things up that way and so left it unsupported, so it cracks. Some realised the problem and strengthened it. But really they shouldn't have to.

SDA

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.