Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought members would be interested to know that Pembrokeshire County Council, in all their wisdom, have recently erected two signs. You run the chance of being fined £50. The signs also states that you must not sleep or camp in the car park and you must park within the designated lines.
Why they have decided this, I honestly do not know. I live very nearby and take the dog for a walk there most days and as far as I am aware, I have never (apart from once with a person who decided to park his car and caravan the opposite way to the lines), have heard of any of the locals complaining.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
It's a car park and not a camp site....................Just stating the obvious, please stay calm.............it's what the council would if you asked.
(not being controwhatsit honest)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Badger,
I am only letting people know. There are usually about three or four Motorhomes/Caravans parked there most days (four this evening). I would not want anyone to be fined.

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
It is all designed to:

1] Raise money by "fines"

&

2] Lose more money than gained because visitors will take theirs elsewhere and local traders will close.

Simple British logic.

Now, my visit to Brittany at the weekend showed how to do it properly.

I actually stayed en famille with the mayor of a 7,500 inhabitant town - Lesneven.

His municipalité actually provides a small site (within view of his nice house!) for "travellers", who cause no mess or bother.

Two signposted Aires de Campingcar are provided for motorhomers.

I asked him why.

His reply was that it brings in visitors who spend money and it is also part of their culture of welcome and pride in their town.

Says it all really.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
mgdav said:
I thought members would be interested to know that Pembrokeshire County Council, in all their wisdom, have recently erected two signs. You run the chance of being fined £50. The signs also states that you must not sleep or camp in the car park and you must park within the designated lines.
Why they have decided this, I honestly do not know. I live very nearby and take the dog for a walk there most days and as far as I am aware, I have never (apart from once with a person who decided to park his car and caravan the opposite way to the lines), have heard of any of the locals complaining.
Do you think they have decided to follow Clacton council :wink: what we really all need is some French Councillors running our towns...........I wonder if twinning would help :wink:

I for one really feel that the UK has no idea esp those on Councils.

·
Registered
302 Posts
hi everyone as i come come from clacton, i cannot understand the mentality of the council , they banned the radio 1 roadshow , too much traffic congestion , but.............. what about the revenue it brings in to all the traders , who pay there rates to guess who ? yep the council. they complained about the motorhomers leaving mess , theres no way any motorhome owner would leave a mess , its more than likely the day trippers , just another easy target , theres no ryme or reason to it .

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
ozwhit said:
hi everyone as i come come from clacton, i cannot understand the mentality of the council , they banned the radio 1 roadshow , too much traffic congestion , but.............. what about the revenue it brings in to all the traders , who pay there rates to guess who ? yep the council. they complained about the motorhomers leaving mess , theres no way any motorhome owner would leave a mess , its more than likely the day trippers , just another easy target , theres no ryme or reason to it .
Hi have you seen the topic ref Clacton Council and MHs ?

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
A little off topic but, we drove down to Mantova last weekend and I noticed so many campers on the road and parked in all the possible places that it made me think the they are becoming so common that all the countries of Europe are going to have to make every effort to accommodate them or have some sort of revolution on their hands.

I can imagine camper "sit ins" hundreds of them blocking the access to small towns demanding places to park and camp for reasonable fees.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In answer to Bob's query:
It's the car park at the harbour entrance (Down the hill, 1st exit off the roundabout towards Goodwick/Fishguard Harbour). I will check the Nunnery car park later (2nd exit towards Fishguard and on the left), when I take the dog for a walk and let you know if there are any signs erected there.

·
Registered
568 Posts
mgdav said:
In answer to Bob's query:
It's the car park at the harbour entrance (Down the hill, 1st exit off the roundabout towards Goodwick/Fishguard Harbour). I will check the Nunnery car park later (2nd exit towards Fishguard and on the left), when I take the dog for a walk and let you know if there are any signs erected there.
thanks i will be over there from the 16 may

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I live in an area where the Council is basically declaring war on private motoring, whether it's cars, 4x4s, or MHs. They want to force us all to use rapid transit schemes that don't exist and probably never will.

So don't take it too personally if the zealots fine you just for relaxing in your MH.

SD

·
Registered
136 Posts
This is such a shame. A couple of years ago we spent a lovely overnight there, along with quite a few trucks. The truck drivers were wonderful and put a protective ring round us. They left at 0300 but we never heard a sound.
We patronised both the filling station and the Spar (?) across the road. I think they will lose a lot of overnighters custom through no fault of their own.

Just think of the number of village shops that have had to close through lack of business. Two or three MH's staying nearby might have saved these valuable assets for the local people to enjoy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just arrived back after my walk and have made note of the wording on the signs, as follows:

It is an offence: (Excess Charge £50)

1. To park other than wholly within a parking bay.
2. To park in either a set aside or reserved bay.
3. To use any part of the car park for sleeping, camping, or cooking.
4. To carry out any activity in this parking place in connection with the offering for sale or hire of any article or service to persons in or near the car park.
5. To make a loud noise so as to disturb or annoy residents or users of the parking place.

All is not lost; there is still a chance to park where there are no signs:
1. At the bottom of the hill (New Bypass) going towards the harbour. (1st exit off the roundabout and on the left opposite the Seaview Hotel. Approximately 12 spaces).
2. 2nd exit off the roundabout towards Fishguard and about 15mtrs on the left below the Convent. Approximately 10 spaces.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Simplelife said:
I expect the signs are made from aluminium, fixed on with a couple of bolts and will have a decent scrap value. Get my drift? :wink:

Shane.....
.... and a can of that special Diagonal Stiped Red Paint and you've got yourself a nice bicyle warning board for Portugal etc. :D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Simplelife said:
I expect the signs are made from aluminium, fixed on with a couple of bolts and will have a decent scrap value. Get my drift? :wink:

Shane.....
Good point; to be enforceable, parking restrictions have to be correctly and legibly displayed at the time of the alleged offence.

Signs which are missing, or defaced, preclude enforcement of the penalty...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.