Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Hi Jeff and welcome to the community.

The answer to your question is you've found it.
There is a wealth of knowledge on here which is yours to tap into.
You will have to start it yourself by looking at your financial and family constraints and the space required to store it wherever that is.

A visit or two to one of the larger dealers will give you some ideas of what's available and some of the motorhomes available write themselves off the list you will be making.

After polarising some of your thoughts you will find here a ready place to throw your ideas about.
Unfortunately this site went down big-time recently losing much of the stored information which would have been available to you. Similarly it lost about 6000 members who are still trying to rejoin.
Hopefully there will be a bigger pool of knowledge to call on as time passes.

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
When you have narrowed your list down Jeff ( after a lot of legwork round the dealers to view what is on offer at the price and size you have decided on) why not hire one similar to your choice ?

Some dealers will discount the cost of hire off the price of a purchase.

G

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.......... thanks

Many thanks for such a fast and friendly response.

I know some of the detail of what I'm looking for - or think I'm looking for - and also what I think I'm not looking for so I guess I shouldn't be shy and state what I think I know and don't know so far even though I know for certain it will make me look very odd.

This will seem a bizaare approach to others so please don't feel the need to tell me that I'm approaching this in a slightly odd and dumb way. I'm open and happy to accept that I might try this and then decide it was an error and lose money. It has happened before - but not too often! I've accepted that risk and will almost certainly not be renting first or buying second hand, even though I'm new. I'm an ex-caravaner and believe that motor caravaning will be better from some apsects ......

I won't to spend some time traveling europe. Just two of us. I can spend a month or two away at a time as long as I can basically keep in touch. So technology is a bit of a thing for me. I don't mind spending more for quality. Our caravans were Bessacar. I like bright and modern rather than dark and classic. So, I think I already have some rather disjointed early conclusions. Too big would be a mistake. I don't like permanaent beds and what they do for the layout. I don't like sleeping in the "cab" or over the front seats. I want a large double bed and the largest and most comfortable I can. I am a techno-tart. So I'm already suprised to see how slow motor caravans appear to be with where I'd expect them to be. So without being inhibited with knowledge of what is currently considered "do-able" . A seating area that two people could stretch on sperately and watch TV. A decent fridge and oven etc cooking and food is the passion.

In terms of technology, a small flat colour screen - proably 17" or 19" attatched to DVD, a very small hidden PC, a european wide TV tuner and satellite system. I'd also like to see it connected probably through GPRS for web browsing e-mail and telephone and navigation etc. But I'd expect all this to look effortless and not seem to be middle-ages and compared favourably to what goes on on say boats or land. I'd consider Inmarsat modem if this was the better approach etc. Anyway ..... back to the motor home.

I have an open mind, want to give it my best shot.

So I'm looking for some brands to start looking at to see whether the whole thing might work for us. I liked the Knaus award winner - but not a permanent bed. We love good innovative design. Any pointers to models and brands to start the process would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

·
Registered
207 Posts
Jeff, I am in similar situation to you - looking for 1st MH, have been doing so for 4 weeks. Want a new one, never had one before nor have I been caravanning, although have spent time in mobile homes. Narrowed search down to Hymer C Classic 644 and B Classic 664 - both have fixed rear beds which is what we want - also has a very light and airy style inside.

Cant help on the techno - my other half wants no telly or anything similar inside - may allow me a portable CD / radio player. Get away from it all!

Make a list of your criteria then go and look at lots of them. We have so far spent about 12 hours at shows / dealers.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Whatever you decide (as long as money is no object) once you know what you want buy it on the continent, it will be cheaper and if you are going to use it over there it will be LHD.

I saved about £10,000, including the two trips over to Spain, one to view and one to pick up.

Ralph

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
You might like to look here: http://www.frankia.it/index.htm .
This post which was in answer to a different query, pull out sections but nevertheless gives you an idea of lengths and layouts available.
Maverick said:
Frankia. http://www.frankia.it/compact_fiat.htm

Only on Fiat chassis, they do at least one in each class, all pictured on the right at each link.

http://www.frankia.it/holiday_fiat.htm

http://www.frankia.it/comfort_fiat.htm

http://www.frankia.it/luxury_fiat.htm

:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Many thanks for all the hints and tips. Very much appreciated.

I guess the closest layout to what seems most attractive to me so far is the rear-end dinette/bed arrangement which is in the Kon-Tiki 610 for example. I think making the bed each day is a good compromise and I like the two seats to lounge on and the big bed. I like the windows and airiness of this arrangement. It seems an ideal layout for two with very few compromises. I'm not quite certain I like the Kon-Tiki though and I wonder what other models and makes of around this size are on the market. Can anyone point me to any osurces that might list them please?

Jeff

·
Registered
216 Posts
first m/h

Hi

what ever u choose it has got to be your choice, i personally dont like fixed beds, i think they are a real space waster, plus in fixed bed homes ive seen where do u lounge at night, as there is usually only the dining area to sit which seems a bit formal for me, but thats me. think about storage capacity, if u want to m/h in colder climates u will need more clothes so more storage, think long and hard at what shower rooms are available and how u will use them, big motorhomes are nice, can u store one at home, will u have a second car, will u block your main drive with it, if buying second hand get a good damp test done as once water starts to get in its there for ever no matter how many times its resealed, think about whether u want a gas oven or if u r going to be on electric a lot what about an electric oven or microwave and where is it stored whilst travelling, heating is another area. i could go on and on and certainly dont want to teach my granny to suck eggs but ive had very big static van, then changed to a autohomes bambi, god it was small, my static caravan bedroom was bigger than the whole bambi, but i had it for 4 years and did 1000's of miles and loved it then 3 touring caravans then a highwayman then another caravan and now a trigano tribute which i absolutely ruddy adore to bits. (just got back from a 1500 mile tour of scotland).

any other quesitons u have send em in, as its sites like this that we can all learn from.
regards to all

keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.