Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought our first RV (an R-Vision Stratus 291) and will be picking it up this week. Lots of questions of course, most of which we haven't thought of yet, but at present I'm looking at security. The Stratus has a Thatcham approved alarm/immobiliser fitted and I'm also investigating a neat low-cost tracker solution that I came across today, but what I'm interested to find out is where I can get those large post-code letters that stick on the roof. Several people have suggested that this is a good idea, but I don't have a clue about who supplies them. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
We thought of this as a solution once but not sure we want anyone to be able to trace our van back to our home address and work out that we are not there. This is even more obvious if you normally keep your MH outside the house.

I thought that modern MHs came with a unique tracker number anyway -can't you stick that on instead ?

G

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Post Code numbers

There you go! Just as well I asked. Good point, although the bad guys would need to be in a helicopter to be able to read the post-code, wouldn't they? :lol:

I'll have to ask our dealer about where to find the vehicle tracker number.

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Or on a bridge over the motorway......

The unique VIN number is on plate somewhere in the engine but I think that is quite a long one.

The one I'm thinking of is the CRIS number and I'll check where that is. I understand that it is a unique number issued to all motorhomes or caravans and the scheme started a few years ago.

G

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Do they issue a CRIS number for motorhomes.

For caravans you are contacted by the CRIS registration people after you've taken delivery and the dealer has submitted your details.
Our last mh was new but we have never been contacted by the CRIS registration organisation, neither is there a CRIS number obvious on the mh.

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
This has got us all of a tizz.

We were told of the CRIS number system when we bought the van and the documents have got a CRIS number on them.It is a 17 digit number but is not the same as the VIN number. On the other hand the 2 have been used interchangeably -ie the CRIS where the VIN should be. The VIN in the DVLA document is the same as the one on the cab.

We were told when we bought the van that the CRIS number was a unique number, issued to all vans built after a certain date and definately to ours, and the scheme was run by the manufacturers, ie Compass etc. We have not been contacted about it by anyone either but assumed that if the van was stolen we only had to ring the dealer and the appropriate steps would be taken. We've got other security devices ( Thatcham) so looked on the CRIS as icing.

The CRIS number is 17 digits as well -far too long to put on the top of a van- but some part of it must be identifiable alone. My NI number is only 9 digits long and there are far more people with NI numbers than there are caravans !

I think we must contact our dealer and ask what it all means !

G.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Marking RV's

Going back to my original question: Regardless of whether I opt to use my postcode, CRIS number, or reg number; does anyone know where I buy the adhesive letters and numbers?

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Grizzly said:
This has got us all of a tizz.
We were told when we bought the van that the CRIS number was a unique number, issued to all vans built after a certain date and definately to ours, and the scheme was run by the manufacturers, ie Compass etc. We have not been contacted about it by anyone either but assumed that if the van was stolen we only had to ring the dealer and the appropriate steps would be taken. We've got other security devices ( Thatcham) so looked on the CRIS as icing.

The CRIS number is 17 digits as well -far too long to put on the top of a van- but some part of it must be identifiable alone. My NI number is only 9 digits long and there are far more people with NI numbers than there are caravans !

G.
This one reference to Cris that I found.
There are others but nowhere does it seem to include motorhomes.

Quote:
Since 1992 all new caravans that are made by companies that are members of the NCC (National Caravan Council) will have been registered with CRiS (Caravan Registration and Identification Scheme), this is log book system like that for your car, and records a vehicle identification number (VIN), every window is marked by the VIN number that is unique to your caravan. This means that any caravan can be checked against the database to ensure that it is not stolen (see buying secondhand)
All Caravans made after 1997 are also electronically tagged.

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
Quote:
CRiS The Caravan Registration and Identification Scheme. A voluntary scheme which registers caravans in a similar manner to how motor vehicles are registered. Allows you to check the legitimate right to ownership of the seller of a secondhand caravan, and helps in the recovery of stolen caravans. A similar scheme called MINDER operates for motor caravans.
Unquote

Ours is a Minder scheme registration...not Cris

Sorry Gewitty to hijack your thread

G.

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Grizzly said:
Quote:
A similar scheme called MINDER operates for motor caravans.
Unquote

Ours is a Minder scheme registration...not Cris

Sorry Gewitty to hijack your thread

G.
Yes, me too.
But you gave the opportunity to check out something important.
Glad we're sorted, G.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:? Hi Gewitty I'm afraid I just don't understand your problem. An American RV must be one of the most difficult RV's to steal if all the in-built facilities, safety and alarm systems are used correctly. Someone who was desparate could certainly break in. But STEAL it? He would have to have been the owner of several RV's to have the knowledge to get one moving. Even then, there are simpler ways of making an RV incapable of being moved. :roll:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.