Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the NEC in Feb there was a prototype van on the Explorer Group stand, finally one with a fixed bed.

Although it was a 7m plus van I thought it was an interesting van, but I cannot seem to find one anywhere.

Has anybody seen one of these in the flesh yet, or has anyone bought one?

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Explorer

Hi, do you mean the Elddis Autostratus, 7.2 metres, fixed longitudinal or over garage bed, We had one 3 years ago, brilliant layout spoilt terribly by very poor workmanship, wouldn't buy another from this manufacturer although we do like some of the layouts.
curlyboy

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Explorer

For example! the door had gaps on all four corners, Brownhills arranged for me to return the MH to the factory as there were so many other faults as well. When the MH was returned to me , at the factory, we couldnt even open the door!!! so I had to adjust it myself as the factory staff had finished for the day. Not very impressed!!!
curlyboy

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Russell

Am aware there is some info on the Explorer site, but the van (155) is not in the brochures, or am unable to find a dealer with the van in stock.

Maybe it is still not in production, although I would have thought they would have taken some orders at the NEC.

Hi Curlyboy
This is a new van on the X250 chassis, although I was not aware of the older van you mention.

Hopefully Explorer Group have addressed the build quality issues you mention by now, although it is of course well in the budget category.

I was just impressed with the layout, which was virtually a copy of their caravan, with the washbasin external to the washroom.

Paul

·
Registered
305 Posts
We have a compass Castaway which has a rear fixed bed over the garage. The bed goes up and down which gives you the choice of garage sizes. They do not make this model under the Compass marque anymore but might do under the Autostratus. We have had a few niggles with it and it did go back to the factory. When it came back they had done a shed load of work we didn't ask for and came back looking better than new.
We had a cracked step from clomping about in ski boots, a cracked window, a worktop that was damaged from a bottle of wine falling out of the locker, crinckled wood above the fire because we forgot to put the fan on and various other self inflicted faults that they repaired or changed for new free of charge. We were delighted with the service from Explorer and the interior of our van now looks like a brand new one.
Max

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.