Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

From information gained from this forum, be it in PM`s, recommended Books or past posts, we have been working on our upcoming 6 week journey to France & Spain and have thus far come up with the following as our draft itinerary (though the dates and places are flexible).

I would be really appreciative of any further help, advice or info regarding the 1st leg of the proposed journey. If it helps we have 2 kids, 8 and 10 (strange names I know), I am 40 years old and Suzy is 25.........................................sorry I was dreaming, she is also 40.

We plan to make our way from Calais on July 24th to somewhere in the middle of the French Med Coast around 18 days later (Cavaliere ???)

In the first instance it is our proposed 1st leg that I am really looking for feedback on.

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

All the stops prior to Futuroscope are Aires from the book "All the Aires France".

Stop 1) Le Touquet

Stop 2) Le Crotoy (or Quend Plage Les Pins)

Stop 3) St Valery En Caux

Stop 4) La Mailleraye Sur Seine

Stop 5) Rugles

Stop 6) La Suze Sur Sarthe (maybe via Le Mans???)

Stop 7) Bouchmaine

Stop 8 ) Futuroscope (get here early and overnight in the Car Park at the end of the day)

From here we was hoping to travel to a nice beach resort and stay on a commercial site for 3 or so days. Possibly at Il de Re ???, or somewhere else in this vicinity???

CHEERS

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
b16duv said:
Our record is 21 hours, Edinburgh (Scotland) to Pau (Pyrenees) - and that includes the tunnel and all stops (for fuel). No kids that time though!

D
That's some going - but I am not after breaking any records. More like "meandering", as anything more than 2 hours a time with our kids will drive me mad.

As an example, on our last outing our Daughter ( 8 ) asked "Are we nearly there yet ?" just as we were leaving our local Morrisons after stopping for a few supplies.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Ian_n_Suzy said:
b16duv said:
Our record is 21 hours, Edinburgh (Scotland) to Pau (Pyrenees) - and that includes the tunnel and all stops (for fuel). No kids that time though!

D
That's some going - but I am not after breaking any records. More like "meandering", as anything more than 2 hours a time with our kids will drive me mad.

As an example, on our last outing our Daughter (8) asked "Are we nearly there yet ?" just as we were leaving our local Morrisons after stopping for a few supplies.
To be fair, well honest, we were in a hired LWB Sprinter van loaded with furniture. It took a week to come home though, funnily enough via the Ile de Re!

D

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DABurleigh said:
Both "extremes" above are entirely reasonable. But is does depend on your tour strategy and preferences, which you haven't divulged! :)

Dave
In its simplest form

22nd July - Leave Home bound for Dover

24th July - Arrive Calais (midday)

2 or 3 weeks later - Arrive Somewhere along the Med Coast (Cavaliere ??, Antibes ??)

18th August - 30th August - We are booked onto sites on the Costa Brava

3rd September - Calais

We are just planning the first part at the mo en route to the French Med.

If we stopped one night at each of the listed stops in the Original Post, would that be any good as a start?

CHEERS

·
Premium Member
13,788 Posts
Ian, or Suzy,

When my children were that age, holidays started when we arrived at a site with all facilities/ activities, finished when we left, and we minimised time in between (sharing night driving but I'd be reluctant to do that again). You seem to be going out very slowly and coming back fast, so perhaps there is something else you are trying to achieve with the solution you are proposing.

Dave

·
Registered
5 Posts
why plan like that ....you don't know what the weather will be , nor how the kids will travel

why not just buy the french Aires book to give you stops anywhere ,and plan on a daily basis ?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hi Ian,

We have been on all those aires and they are all fine. I feel that you are going a bit slow really, but each to their own, is what I say. Personally we do the Calais to crotoy bit in about an hour and a half as we find the coast inbetween a bit boring. Suze sur sarthe is a great Aire with electric if you can get there before the crowd, it is on the wall of the toilet block . We find Dieppe a better stop than Valarie en caux as the town is good for shopping and there is a fantastic salt water swimming pool!!!!! You seem to be going at the high season and consequently you might find aires and camsites a bit full on the coast. We always look to spend the day on the beach and then go a little inland spo we can get some room and quiet.

Going down a similar route this weekend and hoping to get into 'green Spain' and northern Portugal.

Have a good time........ Ned

·
Registered
13,478 Posts
I thought everyone travelled it too quick when we were planning our first trip in the Motorhome, but when you are on the French and Spanish Toll roads it is really easy.
We travelled to La Nucia Spain in 3 and a half days and that was stoping for Coffee, then Lunch making sure we were camped up between 3 and 4pm.
So we took a week coming back touring and dealing with the dogs Passport.
Just go at your own pace and enjoy.

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Route

Ian_n_Suzy said:
DABurleigh said:
Both "extremes" above are entirely reasonable. But is does depend on your tour strategy and preferences, which you haven't divulged! :)

Dave
In its simplest form

2 or 3 weeks later - Arrive Somewhere along the Med Coast (Cavaliere ??, Antibes ??)

3rd September - Calais

If we stopped one night at each of the listed stops in the Original Post, would that be any good as a start?

CHEERS
If you want my humble opinion, you are doing the route the wrong way. I would do it in a circuit. By that I mean, along the east side of France, down to med (Riviera/Cote D'Azur) then along med to Argles and into Costa Brava, back up to the leg you suggest is first. Or do it anti-clockwise.

But that is just my opinion, and that is clockwise!

Trev.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DABurleigh said:
Ian, or Suzy,

When my children were that age, holidays started when we arrived at a site with all facilities/ activities, finished when we left, and we minimised time in between (sharing night driving but I'd be reluctant to do that again). You seem to be going out very slowly and coming back fast, so perhaps there is something else you are trying to achieve with the solution you are proposing.

Dave
Hi,

Not really - the only thing is, is that the sites in Spain were very expensive (circa 70 euros per night) but with the dates we have now booked we got a few "specials" in with them bringing the average down to under 50 euros per night. This is due to it being the end of the "peak season".

So in essence, come the 30th August, the holiday is really over and it is just a case of heading for Calais and home. If I was comfortable with heading home at a quicker rate we may well stay in Spain a couple of more days.

In working out the speed of the journey I merely worked out an approximate distance from Calais to "The French Med" via what I thought look like decent Aires. I then decided "Well we want a week in the French Med" - that gave me 18 days to get there. Dividing by the mileage from my approximation gave me a daily average of 50 miles. That is all I have to work off.

I KNOW NOTHING AT ALL ABOUT FRANCE. ZILCH.

I have holiday'd 30 or more times in Spain. Going there for as long as I can remember, but the only time I have been to France is for Disney and en Route to the Belgium Grand Prix. Otherthan this, its as foreign a place to me as Abu Dhabi (where I have never been to).

Which is why I am desperate for info for this journey.

I also want to use quite a few Aires because no matter how many times people on here say "I've never paid that much for a site", they must be a) looking elsewhere to me or b) not having to pay for a family of 4 at the height of the holiday season. Because everywhere that I look at, that looks remotely inviting for a family with an 8 & 10 year old. The cost is invariably 50 euros plus.

6 weeks staying at one of them everynight makes it something of a "dear do".

CHEERS

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have just noticed something that I think may be throwing people off.

Please ignore the Arrival and departure times. That is just what my Autoroute program is default to. Each leg will only take upto a maximum of 90 mins (traffic forbidding).

i.e We intend to be in Le Touquet about 1:00pm and spend the day / evening there.

Each other stop we would "hope" to get there by mid-morning and stay the night.

CHEERS

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lebesset said:
why plan like that ....you don't know what the weather will be , nor how the kids will travel

why not just buy the french Aires book to give you stops anywhere ,and plan on a daily basis ?
We have this book and have marked off 50 plus Aires that we like the looks of. Allowing us to chop and change as we go.

In this first instance I am after folks thoughts on that what we have pencilled in, and where it falls short.

CHEERS

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Route

teemyob said:
Ian_n_Suzy said:
DABurleigh said:

Dave
In its simplest form

3rd September - Calais

CHEERS
If you want my humble opinion, you are doing the route the wrong way. I would do it in a circuit. By that I mean, along the east side of France, down to med (Riviera/Cote D'Azur) then along med to Argles and into Costa Brava, back up to the leg you suggest is first. Or do it anti-clockwise.

But that is just my opinion, and that is clockwise!

Trev.
Hi Trev,

Is the Atlantic Coast side rubbish or something? As I say I know nothing about the Country.

I just thought it may be better for the kids if we travelled along a coastal type route rather than inland across country.

I also thought we could leave that side for a future tour that may not be a "beach type" holiday.

CHEERS

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
Coast

Hello Ian_suzy,

No Far from it, the Atlantic coast can be superb in the height of summer. Benodet on the Atlantic coast of Brittany is a beautiful place, as is La Rochelle and a lot of the wooded beaches. Spent many a happy holiday there trying to Surf and such. You can find many good spots inland too, Annecy or the Alps being amongst my favorites.

Trev.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
At the risk of being shot down by people who use Aires far more than we do are they really suitable to stay on from mid-morning when you have kids.
If the strict Aires rules are applied you will not be able to even sit out anywhere although this may be not be applicable at some of the places you have chosen.
Why not travel a bit further each day and spend time on some decent sites and have a holiday.
I'll now nip over to Motorhomefun out of the way for 10 mins. and hide.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.