Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of replacing as many of my lights as I can with LED bulbs. My Frankia was obviously built to live on EHU as I have counted at least 40 bulbs so far!! The bathroom light switch alone controls some 14 bulbs (10 x 5w and 4 x 10w).
My van (i7400) has "mood" or indirect lighting in the main living area and in the bathroom. Some of this lighting consists of 5w halogen bulbs arranged vertically beside the wardrobe (floor to ceiling) and either side of the mirror in the bathroom, each strip of lights covered by a frosted plastic diffuser. When I removed the diffuser to replace the halogen bulbs with LEDs I found that the bulbs are held in place by sticky tape, some of which has come loose (possibly due to heat of the halogen bulbs). This has allowed the bulbs to come into contact with the plastic diffuser and melt it. Two of my diffusers now need replacing as they have melt "bubbles" in them. I am hoping this is covered by warranty as the van is less than a year old. Hopefully the LEDs, being cooler, will not have similar problems.
If you have a similar system I would recommend that you remove the diffusers (they simply clip off) to check that the lamps are held firmly in place and have not come adrift to touch the diffuser. Any that look a bit dodgy can easily be taped back in place, thus saving an expensive replacement - prevention is better than cure!

Hope this helps.
Tony

·
Registered
15,865 Posts
leds moods

Hello,

Thanks for the info.

I could not find replacement standard bulbs for the vertical and horizontal mood lights (the ones vertical above the cupboards I cannot even access to change).

Do you have a link for the LEDS please ?

TM

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi TM

A very good question and I'm still trying out various LEDs!! Like you I can't access those over the cupboards, neither can I work out how to get into the horizontal strip across the step between lounge and kitchen so I've decided to leave these "as is" and only use the mood lighting when on EHU.
For the vertical strips in the bathroom I have tried various LEDs from different manufacturers and the best (in my opinion) I have found to date are some very simple units from Conrad Electronics (www.conrad-uk.com). They are described as Pin base lamp, 12v, G4 LED, warm white at around £3 each. They are very small and only have a single light source so they are nowhere near as bright as the other LEDs I have tried and found too bright. Although warm white they are still whiter than the original GU10 halogens. I have only replaced a few as I don't know what their voltage tolerance is so am waiting a while to see if any fail before replacing all the verticals.

Hope this helps and I'll keep you informed!

Tony

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been reading that replacement LEDs have to be regulated owing to the fluctuations around 12v from the leisure battery. If not regulated, they will burn out as the voltage fluctuates.
The inaccessible ones above the cupboards are similar to number plate or interior car lamps except the wires from the filament exit the tube's ends and lead to clips on the holder. Very difficult to describe but it's like a cartridge that comes apart, but if you do split it the wires will become detached from the clips that hold the whole thing in place. Suffice to say, I've reached an impasse.

·
Premium Member
10,391 Posts
Holy thread resurrection batman!!

Nearly 11 years: surely a new record?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.