Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Front Grille Upgrade

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  JeanLuc 
#1 ·
My front grilles came with thin black mesh fitted which was looking a bit tired and untidy on my Hymer.
I managed to source some stainless mesh from >Lockwood international<.
They provide a quick and efficient service and will cut it exactly to size for you, just use your old mesh as a template for the size.
The upper and lower grilles on an A Class Hymer are only held in with screws. The lower mesh is an easy one for one fit but the upper one is a bit more fiddly to get right, the plastic lugs and screws aren't quite strong enough to hold the upgraded mesh so I added heavy duty tiewraps in adittion to the screws to hold it. These can't be seen from the outside.
Total cost for mine was just below £55 inc p&p.

Before.....

After.....

The photo's don't quite do it justice, it looks much better in the flesh.
In my opinion, well worth the effort and expense and it could easily be applied to other motorhome makes for a more 'upmarket' look.

Pete

See less See more
#4 ·
JeanLuc said:
Looks really good Pete. I have thought about fitting a mesh grill, but you had the advantage of an existing one to copy. It is a non-standard component and I am guessing that your original one may have been fitted before import?

The 'extra' is available from Movera, but costs €89.95. (See below)

Philip

<<Movera Hymer Grill>>
Thanks Phillip, I had seen the Movera one before but didn't realise it was an 'extra'. I thought it was just a replacement part. Does that mean that standard Hymers come without any mesh at all?

Pete

#7 ·
davesport said:
Oh you great big tart :D That's just cost me 55 quid :D

Thanks for posting the link :wink:

D.
No probs, I'm here to help :roll:

I just need you to wire in some solar panels via my Schaudt control panel for me as a thank you and life will be complete :lol: :lol:

twinky said:
Very classy, not at all bling 8) 8)
Thanks Twinky, wait 'till you see the blue cruising lights i've got for behind the grille :lol: :roll:

Pete

#9 ·
peejay said:
Thanks Phillip, I had seen the Movera one before but didn't realise it was an 'extra'. I thought it was just a replacement part. Does that mean that standard Hymers come without any mesh at all?

Pete
Yep, that's right. The standard Hymer front just has open space behind the logo, but there is a grill across the 'smile' at the bottom.

Philip

#10 ·
peejay said:
My front grilles came with thin black mesh fitted which was looking a bit tired and untidy on my Hymer.
I managed to source some stainless mesh from >Lockwood international<.
They provide a quick and efficient service and will cut it exactly to size for you, just use your old mesh as a template for the size.
The upper and lower grilles on an A Class Hymer are only held in with screws. The lower mesh is an easy one for one fit but the upper one is a bit more fiddly to get right, the plastic lugs and screws aren't quite strong enough to hold the upgraded mesh so I added heavy duty tiewraps in adittion to the screws to hold it. These can't be seen from the outside.
Total cost for mine was just below £55 inc p&p.

Before.....

After.....

The photo's don't quite do it justice, it looks much better in the flesh.
In my opinion, well worth the effort and expense and it could easily be applied to other motorhome makes for a more 'upmarket' look.

Pete[/quote

That look just great, Peejay - very ....... Jaguaresque :wink:

#13 ·
JeanLuc said:
peejay said:

Pete
Yep, that's right. The standard Hymer front just has open space behind the logo, but there is a grill across the 'smile' at the bottom.

Philip
I don't know if the Merc 'Hymer' grille is the same as the Fiat one Phillip but I can send you the dimensions if you're interested. The bottom one is definately a different shape smiley though.

Just another thought if anyone is interested :wink: Lockwood International also supply speedo overlays for anyone who has imported theirs van, they are top quality and easy to fit.
They even do ones for those Splinters some of you keep banging on about :lol:

http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/dials-for-imported-vehicles-c53.html

No connections, just a satisfied customer.

Pete

#14 ·
Thanks Pete,

I am interested, so when I have a couple of minutes, I'll take a picture of the front and check dimensions, then send it to you via PM to see if your grill would fit my van. It is a 2003 Starline.

Good point about the Speedo. I got one from Lockwoods about 18 months ago. Well worth fitting and it is indistinguishable from the MB original (apart from the mph that is!).

Philip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.