Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a report in the Daily Mail today of a 67 year old British pensioner shot by an armed gang on his pool terrace at 10.30am and robbed.

Interstingly, further down the article the Daly Mail reports:-

"Violent gangs have been terrorising expatriate homeowners further north near Alicante for several months. Dozens of foreign residents have been gassed in their sleep, comng round to discover their homes ransacked and their valuables missing."

Obviously, there are some people who believe it happens!

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Lets look at those statements

Violent Gangs, but they gently keep you asleep with gas, anyone else see the contradiction?

also a good kicking is actually less likely to kill you than being anaesthetised by crooks, but eh dont let facts get in the way of a space filling article.

End quote

Only by the extremely gullible. All the Facts and evidence say its not possible.

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GeorgeTelford said:
Lets look at those statements

Violent Gangs, but they gently keep you asleep with gas, anyone else see the contradiction?
But God help you if you wake up

also a good kicking is actually less likely to kill you than being anaesthetised by crooks, but eh dont let facts get in the way of a space filling article.
Not sure about the kicking. The published results of some kickings lead me to believe that I may be better off dead.
Space filling article?
The article was actually about the Briton being shot and ran to a quarter of a page of which the reference to gas was about 9 lines in one column.
George Telford said:
Only by the extremely gullible. All the Facts and evidence say its not possible.
Until there is irrefutable evidence it seems to me that there are really only two camps and one has to choose which to be in.
One camp takes the view that there is no evidence that gassing ever happens so ignore it.
The other camp believes that as there is no evidence they can believe in which says it cannot happen then the prudent thing to do is to take precautions for detection in case it does.

Got my devil's advocate hat on. :)

·
Registered
493 Posts
hi all

Cant believe this has started up again

What we need is actual Proof............... and a person to confirm it, so that all of us can either buy gas alarms or put our minds at rest

No more hearsay............................

Paul

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Hi Gillian

One camp takes the view that there is no evidence that gassing ever happens so ignore it.
The other camp believes that as there is no evidence they can believe in which says it cannot happen then the prudent thing to do is to take precautions for detection in case it does.

End quote

Its not just that there is no evidence of it happening (there cannot be evidence of a NON event)

Its more that all the evidence says its not possible, ie all the actual evidence says its impossible

1. there would be deaths ask any anaesthetist
2. The gas would cause explosions and fire most cases are in wild camping fridge pilot light ! In theatre when gas is used they need extreme precaution to prevent.
3. No Physical evidence, it would be in the soft furnishings and blood stream
4. why are they allowed to drive on ask at hospital if you can drive home after an op involving gas anaesthetic.
5. anaesthetic gases are choking gagging agents this alone would wake you up no need for an alarm.
6 Superpowers cannot do it in an hostage situation, but some scrotes in France can.

It does not and has not happened.

Look if you have bought an alarm and it makes you feel better great, but dont try to Justify the purchase.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Hi Rita

Thats a healthy outlook, after all having one cannot hurt.

Its this blind promotion of it as an actual possibility that bugs me, every scrap of evidence says Impossible

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
8O I too am sceptical of, though been told about personal gas attacks (insurance job maybe?). I am aware though of a case in Spain of a couple being held by a gang. The wife was held to ransom whilst the Husband was taken to the Bank until all their money had been drawn out. After which. They were killed. 8O

·
Registered
493 Posts
J...S...W

Real scary stuff, but so isolated...............if we look at all the crime and grief that happens in and around our daily lives and worried about it then we would all stick our heads in the oven

Speaking from experience

Paul

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Hi RedOne. I just posted information as I see it. I don't let these reports worry me. I am in my 5th year of Full-Timing, 99.99999999% of it Wild-Camping. Yes, we have been robbed (bicycles twice, once in Spain, once here in the UK - did not claim insurance). We have not been attacked and although we have been tormented on occasion by youths, we carry on as if nothing had happened, living the way we wish to live. :wink:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can't see what the big deal is. It may happen it may not. No one has been killed and people get robbed all the time. Far worse things than being gassed have happened to others and myself but life goes on. We live to sheltered a life in this country and worry about small things. Just get on with life and enjoy it. Get out there and see the world from behind your steering wheel and not from behind a computer screen. And as for self builders finish the van don't just write about it!

·
Registered
493 Posts
This is off the beaten track if a moderator wants to move it, forgot where i was

Hi J S W

Glad to hear you are enjoying it all

Full timing...........can you explain,

1 how do you have the internet connection
2 Do you come back and forth to the uk, or are you in europe most of the time
3 Have you ever done costings of full timing
4 how do you pass your time
5 do you stay in places long term or travel

Loads of questions wont harrass you

Paul

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:D Hi RedOne. We usually spend 6 months or more in Europe, mainly Spain. When we are mobile we use a Mobile phone for access to emails and sometimes our friends computer for other access (We sometimes housesit for them to allow them to visit the UK). We are usually back here in the UK in July (not this year - another story). We keep a record of all we spend, both here and in Europe (If I told you how much we spend you wouldn't believe it). We pass out time riding our Mountain bikes for sight-seeing, shopping and visiting friends. We used to play Tennis, but most of the courts we played have gone or not acessable anymore. I play the guitar and we have a sing song (We used to do Karaoke for a living at one time). Sandy knits. I sometimes program computers. I fly Model Aeroplanes. Sunbathing. Walking. Going out for meals. I help friends to set up for emails and Internet access. Set up the Satellites for them, video recorders etc, etc. (get the picture). We sometime stay in one place for as long as we can (usually we find somewhere nice, only to be joined by lot's of other's, so we move on). We also stay at friends (In Spain, Holland and Germany, sometimes, as I mentioned housesitting, doggy and cat sitting (for which we accept no payment, although they do tend to Wine & Dine us). People ask us don't we get bored? How can we possibly get bored? :D

Maybe this post should be moved over to the Travel Section?

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Red0ne said:
hi all

Cant believe this has started up again

Paul
Remember we lost all the previous posts and whether you believe it or not this is an important topic.
On that basis I believe that I was justified in starting it again. It will then be there for reference for anyone joining the site who brings up the question of gas attacks.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi Autostratus

I agree this is a very very very important post...........so lets get it right for those who will read it in the future, and not put doubt/fear into the minds of the newest members with lots of speculation that they may or may not get gassed

The truth is all we want to hear

So before we post something that is not factual, maybe it should be research more, so we can tell other members the benefits of our information

This is no way way at dig at you gillian, but an opinion of mine

Paul

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sorry but for me the jury is still out.
All the arguements should be aired and be there for each and everyone to decide whether they believe it or not

·
Registered
216 Posts
If I wanted to gas someone, one way would use a hosepipe from a car without a catalytic converter. I know if it was left in the van for two long it would kill the occupants but over the correct amount of time it would make them pass out. My farther tried this and was found unconscious.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.