Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked at the various topics covering installation of an external gas barbecue point, but cannot find an answer to my simple ( and perhaps naive ) question.

I have 2 11kg propane bottles in my Hymer locker. is there any reason why I cannot connect the spare to my gas babecue as and when I need it ? I have a spare regulator and 2M of hose. My thought is to just open the locker and connect up - taking care to wedge the door open and avoid nipping the hose. This would restrict where the barbecue can stand, but is this option OK /crazy / dangerous ??

·
Premium Member
22,796 Posts
I cannot see a reason why that should not be acceptable, the only downside would be that you are reducing the amount of gas in your "spare" cylinder so that when the first one runs out you would have that much less in the second.

As many have posted on other threads you could even buy a longer length of hose to give you more flexibility as long as you take care.

But as Fatalhud has coomented "it is too cheap and logical"!

Dave

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
That's what I did! :wink: :D

But the gas locker is on the "wrong" side of the van so I installed the gas point - purely for convenience.

My only query would be the 2 metres of hose. Does that allow you to trail the hose safely along the ground and still position the barbie far enough away from the van? :?

The "two metre" rule for hoses applies only to high pressure systems, so I always used about four metres for safety.

Dave

·
Registered
882 Posts
~Thats what I DID. Works great until you run out of gas in main bottle. Then it is a right PIB. can't use stove fridge etc with bbq running.

I now have an external bbq point. Easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.