Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
Does anybody with a Autoquest / Avantgarde find it difficult to remove the gas cowl cover?, I can only remove mine with a small lever pressed against the M/H body. Any tips will be welcome.
Many Thanks John.
P.S. Have just booked the Ferry , Dover to Dunkirk return, 7 Sept.-28Sept for £38.00.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:? I don't understand the problem? Is it something that has to be done on on a regular basis? Hourly? Daily? Weekly? etc? I cannot understand the necessity to have a special tool just to remove a cover? :?

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
How many nails are you prepared to lose to remove the cover ? Or covers to break trying to remove it ?

It needs removing when the heater is used and putting back on when the van is moved so basically daily if you move a lot. It is very awkward to get off as there is nothing to grip onto. Pulling it off with a screwdriver or other lever risks breaking it. This seems like a good fix.

G.

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
I used to struggle with mine until someone showed me the way.
Place the tips of your thumbs together and push the cover hard just below the catch.
At the same time pull gently with both forefingers on the upstanding bit and as the little plastic catch lifts, the cover will pull off.

My problem is not taking it off but remembering to do so before ignition! :(
I've now stuck a little label on the switch cover to remind me.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
:D Thanks for the explanation Grizzly. It must be a bad design having the necessity to remove before use. I think the method autostratus uses would probably be the correct way. :wink:

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
If you don't remove it before ignition it will probably refuse to light as the cover prevents air for ignition.

If, like me you forget about the cover and keep repeating the ignition cycle eventually there is enough gas to ignite............................followed by a bang and the cover lands 4 feet away from the van and cracked so as to be unusable. :cry:

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
8O As I said 'It must be a bad design' . Typical British bodgit.. It also sounds very dangerous and not fit for the task it was built for. 8O

·
Premium Member
13,217 Posts
Probably only dangerous with idiots like me and someone walking past too close to the van.

Before Truma took them over the Carver water heater didn't have a removeable cover outside. Much simpler.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The cover works well, it keeps all the road grime out of the boiler :)

You do see people driving around without them, but I expect they are the same people who say they can’t get their boiler to ignite. :oops:

Yes the cover can be difficult to get off, but you don’t want it flying off down the road 8O

·
Registered
452 Posts
autostratus said:
Place the tips of your thumbs together and push the cover hard just below the catch.
At the same time pull gently with both forefingers on the upstanding bit and as the little plastic catch lifts, the cover will pull off.

ah! thanks for that tip - just tried it and I managed it for the first time without digging at it with a screwdriver :oops: Now, if I can just remember to DO it I can shower in the morning... scenario always goes when I wake up, "Will put the water heater on for a shower... Oh, haven't taken the cowl off; not going out in the cold to do it now will boil some saucepans and have a wash" :?

:roll:
-H

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.