Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some advice needed as to what is actually required for a Gaslow system?

Are they easy to install and fill up. Starting from scratch so any advice is appreciated.

Regards

Robbie

·
Premium Member
22,850 Posts
I decided that my expertise with gas tight joints was not my most pronounced skill so had the sytem installed at the Shepton Show. The installation was very efficient and very neat, and we were clearly shown how to refill when required. The actual installation was neater than I would have managed however long I had, but only took 1 hour.

You can imagine that we faced our first refill with trepidation, it happened near Chester and was SO easy we could not believe we were (a) doing it right and (b) had been worried about doing it.

The actual process of refilling is well explained on the Gaslow website;

http://www.gaslow.co.uk/

and when we had ours installed we were supplied with adaptors for use in Europe (two different ones are required!) and a very extensive package of information about where to refill within the UK including organisations which work via a chargecard system at a reduced price.

Our overall verdict is that the system is excellent, the installation straightforward IF you are competent with gas tight joints and the aftercare superb. The cost of the gas is much cheaper than bottled BUT I don't think we will ever recoup the costs of installation - but the convenience throughout Europe more than makes up for that, but my wife (with the mathematical and analytical brain) thinks we will do after about 15 complete refills at the present price..

I would be happy to answer any more points you would like clarified.

Dave

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. The refillable system I meant.

Does any body have a list of components required I would need to install it myself.

·
Registered
18,012 Posts
robx5 said:
Does any body have a list of components required I would need to install it myself.
See my link to the ODB website - the kit is complete, but you might want an automatic changeover valve and a bracket to mount the filler in the gas locker. If you phone Dave on the ODB contact number, he'll talk you through what you might need.

Gerald

·
Registered
196 Posts
Refillable LPG installation from Gaslow

Penquin said:
when we had ours installed we were supplied with ... a very extensive package of information about where to refill within the UK including organisations which work via a chargecard system at a reduced price.
Thanks for that info Penquin, we knew neither of such a list nor of a chargecard.

Is there any chance that you could post links to an on-line (or downloadable) version of the list and to the appropriate chargecard company(ies) ?

·
Registered
17,771 Posts
Gaslow

Hi

My advice to have the system thoroughly tested after installation.

If you search the forum for the words GASLOW AND LEAK you will see why I offer this advice - and I am not just referring to my own three leaks! I am leak free at present with Calor.

Russell

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Re: Refillable LPG installation from Gaslow

Is there any chance that you could post links to an on-line (or downloadable) version of the list

Try www.go-autogas.com. I used to run a LPG Talbot Express and found it useful, i joined and made use of the on-line facilities. Sorry if i have hi jacked the original question. Chasper.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Great system for the convenience. I understand that the leak problem is mostly cured with the new style bottle, but gaslow give first class aftersales service anyway.

Although there is a leak history I didn't let that put me off and was not disappointed even though one of my bottles developed a problem - it was fixed within 3 days.

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
My installation professionaly fitted by\or at Chelston let all its gas out while I was driving along. Problem I was told my Boss of Gaslow was the older designs were found to be flawed but not all so they changed the factory that made them. I have now the new ones replaced free of charge and within a week by Gaslow. Good company, good product provided you get the newly manufactured type and not the older big bang for your bucks models.

My own view is that unless you are an experienced fitter do not even think of doing this job yourself. I would not be surprised if, in the event of your motorhome scattering over half the country that the insurance companies could well find self fitting a loophole. I speak as a "Loophole".

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Hello all,

We had an automatic changeover system fitted at West Country Motorhomes and were very happy........

Until last week during our first (three month) trip to France we developed a leak.

The leak was from the opposite side of the lead on the on/off handle. I called Gaslow and they told me that the bottle had been overfilled as it was faulty. I had to empty a whole 6 kg bottle to make it safe :evil:

Gaslow were very good and said it will be replaced on my return to the UK.

(Sorry if the picture never loaded) :oops:

Regards

Dean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.