Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, I am not asking or looking for any sympathy but I have my own Motor home tale that I think has a moral.

Lorraine & I purchased our first Motor home in 2004 and our first trip was to Athens to watch the Olympics. We stayed at a campsite in Athens and had a wonderful time. At that time I was running my own business, it was agreed with my partner that I could take a month off, and that is how the bug started.

In 2005 we couldn't wait to travel back to Southern Greece and the Peloponnes. We found a campsite near Pilos, This was idyllic and again a great holiday but all done in 3 weeks. This was not enough time of course but I thought when I retire, time will not matter.

In 2006 we did a 3 week tour of France, Germany and Swizerland, we have great memories of this trip, especially Swizerland and that first sight of Lake Lucern.

In January 2007 I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and decided it was time to sell the business and get out and about in the Motorhome. Lorraine and I splashed out on a new Autotrail 630 LB and decided for 2008 we would tour Europe for 3 to 4 months. We took a month travelling down to the Algarve through Northern Spain & Portugal and were staying in Quateria.

Unfortunately whilst in Quateria I became ill, after discussion with my GP it was decided to cut short our trip and return home. After treatment that problem was resolved.

It's now 2009 and we had booked the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander for April, so that at long last we could continue our trip around Europe. Unfortunately I started to get a tingle in the fingers of my left hand, this was originally diagnosed in January as carpal tunnel syndrome.

It is now May and I have just received my appointment next week at Barts Hospital to see a Neurosurgeon, as it is now clear that I have had a bleed in the brain stem.

Today I have put the Motorhome into storage, it hurt's because I feel that I have put so much into my working life and thought that at age 62 we would have plenty of time to enjoy our retirement and Motorhoming.

I am being positive and realize that I am lucky to be under a top neurosurgeon and I am sure will he be able to help me.

I was feeling very down and then I read the news about Peter (Humber Traveller) and heard about his position and the positive attitude he has shown. So I am fully aware of people in this forum that are worse off than me that show great courage. I have to be grateful that hopefully I have got a chance and we will complete our European journey.

This is a great forum, I admit that I do not contribute much but the information and knowledge gained from you all has made our motorhome experience more enjoyable.

The Moral: don't put off today what you think you can do tomorrow.

Steve

·
Administrator
18,638 Posts
Steve

Just goes to show, if you get the chance to do something, don't put it off - "later" might never come!!

Good luck with the treatment & keep that target of disappearing across Europe in your mind.

We hope to be out there shortly as well

:wink: 8)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Steve thank you for sharing this with us all - it is always a difficult decision to bare ones chest in public (well it would be for me, but then I'm a girlie! :lol: :lol: ) The tale you tell is one familiar to many of us in some shape or form - deciding that tomorrow, next week, next month, next year you will do something. Well, like you we have had health scares in our family which have made us realise that we never know what is round the corner - I lost one of my best friends to breast cancer at the age of 33, and both my hubby and I have had problems in the last few years with our health which have made us realise we need to grab the moment. Our original plan was to keep working until he was 63 and I was 60, but we have now decided that as we do not know how long we will be fit for that we should seize the moment and retire when he is 60.

As for you - with my frilly nurses hat on I would say you have made the right choice to mothball the MH and this summers plans until you have sorted out your health. I cannot tell you that all will be well with you in the future - I know too little about your medical history and current condition but it strikes me that getting things sorted asap has to be a good plan. I do hope the consultation goes well and that the subsequent treatment (if there is any) happens swiftly and effectively. You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you face the weeks ahead. If you need any specific medical advice do feel free to pm me and I will do my best to find the relevant info for you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I always thought that life is the wrong way round. You work when you are young and fit, then when you have time you are old and not fit!
I'm 62 this year and just retired as I want some time whilst 'relatively' young.
I do hope that you can get sorted, both of your illnesses should be able to be controlled- nowadays ? But it is a great worry.
Best Wishes

·
Registered
740 Posts
Good luck Steve; the mh will be just the thing when you're on the mend again :D

Such good advice - 'don't put it off ........' etc. We never get the time back however else our lives may change. I've just splashed out a bit on exactly that basis 8O :D

Best wishes!

Jagman

·
Premium Member
6,628 Posts
Thanks for re-inforcing the moral Steve, and best wishes for a full recovery and speedy return to motorhoming

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
You are so right Steve. It's exactly what I keep telling my other half. We are both 47 this week and I just want to hand my notice in and go.

I received some pension information the other day and it told me what I could get when I retire at 66. I can't do this job for that long (teacher & deputy head). My pension would be adjusted if I retired early to account for the fact that teachers who retire early tend to live longer. That tells me something. What's the point of carrying on if my chances of living a full retirement life are reduced?

Realistically we have some things to sort out on the house and a motorhome to buy, but then we are off and what we do when the money runs out will be something to worry about after the adventure.

Thanks for bringing this into focus by sharing your own experience and my very best wishes for your treatment. I hope to meet you on the road some time in the future when you take your van out of storage.

All the best - Lesley

·
Registered
718 Posts
Steve,
Totally agree and I really can understand your need to convey your story. If only we knew what was ahead of us. I can feel your pain.
In 2004 we were in a similar situation. Pat was diagnosed (Mantel Cell Lymphoma) just two months after buying the MH and retirement. The prognosis was not good and life expectancy 3-5years. He was told that if he was a younger man (he was 63 8O) they would be looking at a Stem Cell transplant. After lots of chemo and 4 1/2 years down the line he is now feeling well again. He did eventually get his Stem Cell transplant 3 years ago as he is lucky enough to have 7 siblings and they found a good match amonst them :D. Obviously his recovery would have been much sooner had the decision been made sooner but I suppose they have their protocols to follow :roll:
I can remember having feelings of anger and despair on and off for quite some time and since transplant there have been a few not so good times but after a visit to the consultant today things are looking good.
We haven't been able to use our MH very much but it does mean that we can look forward to our trips even more :)
I'm glad your feeling positive and I hope your treatment is not too gruelling and that your consultant is able to re-assure you and that your treament is not too unpleasant. Stay positive and I hope you will soon be on the road to recovery and out on the road again.
We will be thinking of you.
Lesley

·
Registered
11,158 Posts
I just don't believe how I missed this post. I do wish you a speedy recovery which is on the cards with a top bonce wizard and hopefully you will get to start and finish off a mega m\home journey in the not too distant future.

I do wish you all the best and I would use the time to plan out different journeys in different places at different times of the year.

There but for the Grace of...... always springs to my mind.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Steve, I have also been there and I am now in my 4th year of remission with only a slight increase in my condition since my treatment.

Stay strong and believe, and you will get over this.

All the very best for the treatment.

Bob

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Hi Steve I would just like to add my good wishes to you for a speedy recovery..............I have thought alot more about life since we got our MH and it has made me take more time out from our business than I used to do.

This year we have employed a guy to run things when we are away, OK it costs us a bit more and I will have to be there full on in the main weeks of the season. But whats money compared to enjoying life as much as is possible.

Take care and lets hope that very soon you are out and about in your MH again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.