Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We originally had it in mind to go to Sicily next April/May however I am in two minds now as its a very long drive and we would only have 3 weeks when on the island. As such I am now considering Croatia, en route to which we would travel through Slovenia.

I am aware that they use a vignette for vehicles under 3500kg and have a Go Box on board unit type arrangement for vehicles over that weight however I can't seem to find out if this is only required for the Motorways/Toll roads or whether it is needed, full stop.

Our MH is over 3500kg so a vignette would be no use, hence the question.

Does anyone have a definitive answer to this? i.e. is a Go Box required on all roads or just the motorways/toll roads?

ta

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jean

I'm fairly sure that 3500kg and under need a vignette for MWays and toll roads but not for other roads. I'm hoping its the same for over 3500kg as we can easily avoid MWays and toll roads I reckon 9as we do in Austria).

·
Premium Member
13,300 Posts
Thanks Jean

I'm fairly sure that 3500kg and under need a vignette for MWays and toll roads but not for other roads. I'm hoping its the same for over 3500kg as we can easily avoid MWays and toll roads I reckon 9as we do in Austria).
Have you tried the AA website for info on Slowenia?

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you tried the AA website for info on Slowenia?
Yes Geoff. pretty useless for me really as it doesn't even mention vehicles over 3500kg let alone the on board unit.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I emailed the consulate in the UK and they directed me to website

However I cant see on there where it answers my question as to whether an On Board Unit is required for other roads (i.e, not MWays and toll roads). I think the answer will be that we wont need one but I'd just like it confirmed.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I had a look through Jean's stuff and a few threads underneath however they are so very old now and I think Slovenia changed its methods of charging at some stage over the last few years from what I can gather.

I appreciate the bump though (y) :)

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
After contacting the Slovenian Consulate who didn't know (and couldn't be bothered to find out for me). I went to the Slovenian AA who replied..

No, if you don't drive on motorways and expressways, then you don't have to pay a toll and you don't need an electronic toll device.

So, job jobbed!

·
Premium Member
15,528 Posts
Graham good choice, Sicily is wonderful we spent 5 months there 5/6 years ago. It you can I would suggest you pick two campsites one east one west and hire cars to explore. We hired a car with an English couple (joint drivers) and had it every other day. The cities are surprisingly urban with very narrow roads not suited to motorhomes. Think Montabano look it up on I player.

Slovenia is also a wonderful choice the Alpine region very much like Austria but cheaper.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Dick

If we do go to Sicily we'll definitely be hiring cars. The outline plan is 10 days to get there and 10 days to get back. Mrs GMJ doesn't do long ferry rides so we will be driving right down the 'leg' of Italy. then we'd have 3 weeks there. The only thing putting me off is the long drive to get there.

Can I ask how long it took you to get there Dick? Did you take any long ferries to cut down on the driving?

Failing that we are thinking about Croatia which will also take the pressure off our 90 days in Schengen allowance, it not being in Schengen.

·
Premium Member
15,528 Posts
Croatia has I think the most beautiful coastline in Europe and it extends into the much cheaper Montenegro that also has Venitian empire fortress cities like Dubrovnik and Split.

Sicily is where I would go back again though. A long drive yes but we had the luxury of a 5 and a half month trip and meandered down from Trieste along the Adriatic around the instep and Calabria. Then came back along the West coast.

There is an overnight ferry from Genoa to Palomo. The very short ferry across to Massina is a turn up and go one. That was I seem to remember 95€ return for an 8mtr 6tonner in 2015 to give you some idea.

·
Premium Member
9,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Dick

As we love going to Spain in Jan-March we'll only have 41 days left in our 90 day allowance. I figure 10 days there; 10 days back; and 3 weeks on the island itself. If we do the trip I think we'll do an east/west split over those 3 weeks and hire a car at each place.

We'll make a decision soon as I want to book Spain when we get back and the length of that will depend upon our Sicily/Croatia trip (as a trip to Croatia will take less Schengen allowance).

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Thanks Dick

As we love going to Spain in Jan-March we'll only have 41 days left in our 90 day allowance. I figure 10 days there; 10 days back; and 3 weeks on the island itself. If we do the trip I think we'll do an east/west split over those 3 weeks and hire a car at each place.

We'll make a decision soon as I want to book Spain when we get back and the length of that will depend upon our Sicily/Croatia trip (as a trip to Croatia will take less Schengen allowance).
I think you may have missed the boat Croatia is due to jion Schegen in Jan 2023

1 - 17 of 17 Posts