Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although am very careful about grease not going down the sink, I am finding just the greasy water from washing up is causing blockage in waste drain. What have you good people found to be the best to clean the tank out. Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
In terms of cleaning the grey tank out, some people swear by putting a 2-4 litres of very cheap cola in there along with some hot soapy water and the taking the MH for a spirited drive to slosh it around. Then let it out and fill the tank to flush it.

Failing that there are numerous products available if you Google 'Motorhome grey water tank cleaner'.

I'll be interested in hearing how folks clean the pipes though as we have one that drains slowly in our MH and I was thinking of just putting some Mr Muscle sink unblocker down that one tbh.

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Yes me too so hopefully someone else will come along to discuss it...

·
Premium Member
36,384 Posts
Yes and yes. It seems to work Graham. Several charges of it each time. I then run some water and use a plunger to push it through. I don't pump vigorously in case of pushing pipes off, just accelerate the water to help it take and crud with it. Hot water and fairy may also be be used that way to good effect.

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
Thanks Al.

I'll give it a try when we get home.

Do you use boiling water from the kettle or just very hot water from the tap?

·
Premium Member
36,384 Posts
I use just off the boil. I now anticipate hoots of derision and panic about pipes detaching and so on.

I wouldn't plunge with water that hot though.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Soon after starting my Motorhome life I purchased some of Zappy's Tablets to clean and clear the sinks and shower pipes.

They worked very well but Zappy and his tablets seems to vanish a few years ago and getting the same ones is not an option.

But I believe they were similar to Rapid Release Chlorine Tablets which can be ordered online.

Whether they will clear all pipes effectively I don't know but they might be worth trying if the Cheap Cola method doesn't work.

To clear slightly blocked pipes I usually use a small plunger, not too vigorously at first, and that has proved effective over many years.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
47,066 Posts
When we get home after a few days I'll use the water heater on electricity put loads of Fairy WUL in the sink and fill it with hot water, leave it about ten minutes to cool a little then pull the plug been doing this since we started and never had a smelly or blocked system, I do the same at home about once a month.

• Helpful
Reactions: GMJ and erneboy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well today I put 4 litres of cheap cola down the sink and went for a spin to slosh it about. I then open waste drain and when it drained out loads of bits of fat and sludge came out. I then boiled a kettle and a saucepan of water, put it in a bucket with Fairy liquid, added a small amount of cold water not for it to be boiling and do damage, and poured the jot down the sink. Another drive around for a slosh, and when I opened drain loads of fat and sludge came out. I will do another session but I think I have cracked it.

·
Premium Member
28,553 Posts
Swish curtain wire.

Ray.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Swish curtain wire.

Ray.
Sounds good Ray, thanks.
I also have recently had issue with black bits from my toilet flushing cistern. It’s fine when I hand pump the water around the bowl. But then I get black bits of feech! Which then stick inside the pan if I don’t wipe it immediately. I’m planning to fill the cistern and flush to or three times. But wonder if there is a chemical I should add? Or are we back to Coca Cola again?

·
Premium Member
28,553 Posts
I guess vinegar again or even one of the proprietary toilet cleansers in tablet form.

Ray.

·
Premium Member
10,914 Posts
So my main issue is the small toilet sink takes ages to drain. What are the suggestions for clearing that out?
As was discussed towards the start of the thread, try Mr Muscle sink unblocker. I followed the instructions but left it a little longer than it said on the bottle. It worked for me as we also had a slow sink drain in our bathroom area. In fact I used it in the shower and kitchen drain holes too to give them a good clean as well.

Welcome to the forum btw (y) :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts