Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thats a leading question :roll:

What I really want to know is.

Has anyone managed to connect a Vodafone pay as you go broadband dongle to a Apple Mac? If so how is it done please.

Kind regards

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Yes, I have. It's a bit of a faff, but I will dig out the instructions in the next few minutes.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
18,012 Posts
Sorry, Richard, can't help with Vodaphone ... but

brillopad said:
i connected my 3 dongle to my mac its a bit involved, but some one on here told me ,so hopefully they will be along soon. dennis
The latest 3 dongles (bought mine from Carphone Warehouse last Saturday for £25) have both PC and Mac software built in to it. Just ran the install software, and it worked :wink: (Same with the PC software).

Gerald

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Richard,

I used the mobile connect 2.11 from here

http://www.business.vodafone.com/si...40_software/software/10_latest/p_software.jsp
it loaded up, detected the dongle as a Vodafone K3565, on UK Vodafone UK.

I went through the setup, then into system prefs, network,Vodafone K3565

Clicked advanced button. on the modem tab, changed vendor to generic, then type GPRS ( GSM/3G ).
set the APN to: pp.internet

clicked OK, then Apply., and hit Connect on the network page, and it connected fine for me.

Good luck.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Ozzzjohn
Gee wiz kid your a marvel. I knew it had to be done, but the great Vodafone said impossible. I think they come from Barcelona. Many thanks hope to sort it from here.
Kind regards

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Hi Richard,

Happy to help. Seems strange that Vodafone don't currently seem to officially recognise the PAYG dongle with a Mac. When I first looked (late last year) the Vodafone website said that they were compatible, and the guy in the Vodafone shop where I bought mine also said they were compatible. When I tried to install it (and couldn't), I read the packaging - no mention of Mac compatibility. I checked the Vodafone website again - only to find that it too said not Mac compatible! A bit of research on some Mac forums reassured me that I hadn't imagined the whole thing - and also led me to the solution.

The only thing I haven't sorted out yet (it hasn't become a high enough priority for me) is the useage metering.

Another petty irritation that could sit in my mental "to do list" for a while.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good morning Ozzyjohn
It all points to the version 2.11.06.00 needed. Yet when you goto the Vodafone site for the download after all the mucking about, you come up with the message (# You must be logged in to see this page.

Welcome to the Vodafone Business secure area.
This area is only available to partners and internal Vodafone users.)

So how did you manage to down load the newest software?
Kind regards

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeh
Sussed it. Got it all working with the exception of the Data Useage.

Will have to look out for the newest software.
Many thanks to all for your assistance
Kind regards

·
Premium Member
1,407 Posts
Hi Richard,

Glad you are sorted. The screen asking for log in credentials wasn't there when I did this for myself in January or for a work colleague in February. Schoolboy error on my part for not checking all of the links out fully before posting the advice.

Regards,
John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Vodafone dongle does work on a Mac

Hi, Just bought a Vodafone TopUp and GO dongle. Asked in shop will it work on a Mac. Answer NO!

Ok I will have to take my windows laptop on my travels.<*?/*£$%>.

Arrived home looked at back of box and system requirements stated MS Vista or XP and Mac OS Panther or higher.

Installed on PC laptop, seemed to take ages to install, but connected with no problems.

So what do I have to lose let's try it on the Mac.

Inserted dongle and it installed so quickly I thought it was not going to work.

But lo and behold works perfectly on both so very happy that I can now take my Mac on travels.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2007 Fiat Ducato Ace Siena 2.2 100 Multijet, Keighley, Still in Gods County.
46,666 Posts
Hope this is still on topic, I've had a yearning for a mac, for a while, and I'd like to get a used one for the Mh, so any advice (money very limited) on what to get, and the best software to use for mobile interweb.

Kev.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Vodafone dongle does work on a Mac

Hi All

The only problem I have found so far is the amount of remaining allowance for what you paid, is not always accurate. The slider for what you used on the last hook up is very accurate.
One tip to improve your connection. Get yourself the longest usb extension lead preferably longer than 4M set the dongle in a poly bag and attach it to one of the fibre glass rods the sell for hanging flags on the hoist it as high as possible the reception improvement is phenomenal.
Yes when you are away from a G3 signal it is quite slow,but you get used to that.
I found the dongle works better on MacOS than when I switch the Mac onto MS Windows mode.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.