Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I feel like I've just entered the 21st century properly. I'm probably behind the time, but I just came across Skype www.skype.com it's VOIP - but the brilliant bit is being able to call normal landline and mobile from it at excellent rates. Give it a go!
Skype is totally free and even calls to landlines are really cheap.

It doesn't affect the PC performance at all and the sound quality is really good.

You can get a headset, or you can just use a mike and speakers. I am in the process of ordering a headset from Amazon...£4.99 8O

M&D :) :)

·
Registered
15,161 Posts
We''ve been using a Sipphone ( same technology but you use an ordinary telephone connected via a gizmo to the computer) and find it excellent with no problems at all. You can call anyone, anywhere for next to nothing and can choose what part of the country you want your area code to be.

One thing to be aware of is that it is NOT a good idea to do away with your landline altogether. Your phone does not work if your internet provider does not work so you cannot rely on it for emergency calls etc.

G

·
Vendor
1,395 Posts
Skype is very big down here in S Spain where you can't get a landline if you are in the "campo".

Hundreds if us are on the internet via a small dish connected to a radio/hub sat/ thing.....I think...........no idea, just pay (cheap) and use, no probs.

Never had a prob with Skype and it cost next to nothing to phone anywhere. Mind you, work the mobile, on contract, with an additional user card and it also costs next to nothing..........unlike the UK.

·
Registered
44 Posts
We use Skype for most of our calls - which for Ben is a hell of a lot :) Not only is it really cheap for normal calls, but Skype to Skype is free. We're talking to our technical bod via Skype and webcam at the moment - so we can see his dodgy new haircut :lol: and we often have him on most of the day.

It's better with a headset and sound quality does degrade if you download a lot of stuff at the same time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Beware though. You will need a pc with plenty of spare ram. When I used it on recomendation from my Dad, I found it kept freezing up the pc (like real player does) . Also when trying to surf at the same time it took ages to load web pages. I just deleted Skype.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I was introduced to this about 5 months ago from my friend down in Spain and it does as it says and is incredibly brilliant.

Have you also downloaded SAM the Skype Answering Machine? Worth doing, as it can leave a message for you if you happen to on - but away from your computer.

I wish I had more friends using it.

I had suggested it to Dave but he said it was not easy with his datastorm, but are you using yours with datastorm Ben and Lizzie?

Carol

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
I see from the Skype website that Skype enabled sites get a commision - a possibility for this site?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Took a liberty and edited your hyperlink M+D as you had a - after the .com and it wouldn't work. Hope that's ok with you :wink:
Looks like a very good idea :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Carol

We are wirelessly connected to the factory and are pinching their broadband at the moment. There is a problem using any VOIP service with Datastorm - not sure what it is, but should find out later... watch this space!

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
8) I came across Skype around 6 months ago but have not yet had chance to get around to using it. :cry:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.