Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have you ever heard of or seen a Daihatsu Autosleeper.
Theres one advertised in my local paper and just wondered as i have never seen an Autosleeper on a Daihatsu.
If you have and have any advice good or badlike "Steer clear" let me know.
I wanted to try the outdoorse life with motorhoming but thought it wise to hire first before spending my savings on a lovelly low profile. But the cost of hiring is just silly at over £1000 for a week. So thought I would but a very cheap camper first to see if i like camping in a van. And this one is up for £7k and has done 34,000 and is apparently like new. Will see it for myself tommorrow. Any advice appreciated.
many Thx

Kevin

·
Registered
734 Posts
Kev7950 said:
Hi all,

Have you ever heard of or seen a Daihatsu Autosleeper.
Theres one advertised in my local paper and just wondered as i have never seen an Autosleeper on a Daihatsu.
If you have and have any advice good or badlike "Steer clear" let me know.
I wanted to try the outdoorse life with motorhoming but thought it wise to hire first before spending my savings on a lovelly low profile. But the cost of hiring is just silly at over £1000 for a week. So thought I would but a very cheap camper first to see if i like camping in a van. And this one is up for £7k and has done 34,000 and is apparently like new. Will see it for myself tommorrow. Any advice appreciated.
many Thx

Kevin
You don't seem to be having much luck with responses, although it's early enough yet seeing as your post is time late last night anyway. The only Daihatsu camper I have ever seen was built by Motorhomes International who also made, amongst others, the VW Xplorer and the Hilton and a conversion on the Fiat 850 called the Amigo. The Company is long defunct. I seem to recall that their MD did a runner from HM C & E and eventually finished up in the clink. The secret of their success at the time was was they called the Spacemaker elevating roof. It hinged sideways, like the original Dormobile roof did, but also had a section that slid out sideway once the roof was up thus providing even more berths in the roof. That was such a long time ago that I can't think that 'your' Daihatsu is one of those - but on the other hand I've never heard of an Autosleeper Daihatsu. The MI Daihatsu was incredibly diminutive - even smaller than the Fiat 850. But it was all such a long time ago .......

·
Premium Member
23,180 Posts
It will be somebody using "Autosleeper" as a generic term, rather like saying, "I have a Panasonic Hoover for sale."

I'd wager next month's pension that A/S have never used a Daihatsu base vehicle! 8O :roll:

Dave

·
Registered
734 Posts
Zebedee said:
It will be somebody using "Autosleeper" as a generic term, rather like saying, "I have a Panasonic Hoover for sale."

I'd wager next month's pension that A/S have never used a Daihatsu base vehicle! 8O :roll:

Dave
Yes - I think that's quite likely, Dave. I've even seen 'spurious' home built conversions with simulated Autosleeper graphics and logos, even to the extent of the wide brown stripe with twin orange pin-stripes in the centre - a hallmark of genuine A/S product.

·
Registered
734 Posts
peejay said:
If it is an Autosleeper (which I doubt) then it should have a build number on a label, usually in the glovebox which you can check details with Autosleepers direct.

I too would wager Zeb's pension that it isn't an Autosleeper. 8)

Pete
Hmm - I think I too will wager Zeb's pension ....... :lol:

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
Small world!

About 12 years ago we converted 50 Hijets at Johns Cross for Daihatsu, what happened to them I do not know.

We parted company from the person involved who then carried on converting them for some time afterwards at a diffrent location.

Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all your replies guys.
I saw the camper today and it was not Autosleeper, (Told you so, I hear a chorus of you saying)
It was a Auto-Kamper, it was in an immaculate condition and the camper even had the origonal plastic covering on seats, carpet etc. Cooker not used and only been used during th day so not slept in either.
But it was small, and my other halk was not having it. i to be honest would have gone for it as it was in cracking condition.
Now I have had time to think a little more I suppose I should go for a cheaper low profile to start us off.

But your advice was appreciated,

regards
Kev

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.