Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was debating between a head unit and a rearview camera fitting as there is little view behind you in most motorhomes. Maybe they are in more recent motorhomes I guess. I have a reversing camera with sensors that points directly down to assist in parking but little use else. Then I started looking for something better to improve viewing and found many rearview cameras on Amazon. After taking a blow in the rear end of my van I thought I would prefer a view behind would be better. Anybody in similar thoughts would be interesting to read.
So, some rearview cameras fit on the existing mirror, handy if anybody has still got one fitted LOL, I haven't as most motorhomes I Guess unless. So I would have to find one to fit a Ducato and visiting a breakers with no joy or get a suction mounted one near the original fitting for the now defunct mirror from Amazon quite cheap. Then there is the rear fitting of a camera and depending on cable running all over or through the inside and others with a wireless transmitter etc. Some frown on these, some say great. Then i noticed in the write ups that the cameras are showing 180 degrees with left view not changeable to a right view and vice versa. Other people wanted like me an on all the time camera view LOL and not the reversing colored line distracting. Also led lights were blinding at night the cars behind etc. Oh my. My son said get a head unit like him, only thing is he does not need the rear camera anyway, but he got one with the package.
To save yourselves going to sleep, I will save the rest LOL
But I would like some of your thoughts as this is on hold atm

· Premium Member
425 Posts
I've been mulling the same question.

I have a reversing camera and a standalone screen. I also have a defunct rear view mirror.

I can see that a rear view camera would be useful on occasion. Perhaps one of the combined units, utilising the existing screen.
8 would not want wifi connection but would follow the path of the existing cabling.

· Premium Member
524 Posts
I hate not being able to see what's behind.

Our current Bailey 79-4i came with a reversing camera which gives a fish-eye view on the dash media display but only when I've got reverse selected. I had an additional rear view camera fitted which acts as a rear-view mirror. On previous MH, also a Bailey (745), I had a split rear view camera fitted, one that pointed straight(ish) down and another which I used as the rear-view mirror, these were on all the time when the ignition is on.

In both cases, the display was mounted on the cab rear view mirror which remained fitted even though the rear wall is solid on both the old 745 and the 79-4i. Both had the Boxer cab which is essentially the same as the Ducato cab. Both installations were hard wired in, hopefully much less likely to drop out than a WiFi based system.

I can't tell you the name of the system we had fitted, it'll be in the pack in the MH but I'm working away ATM.

· Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate not being able to see what's behind.

Our current Bailey 79-4i came with a reversing camera which gives a fish-eye view on the dash media display but only when I've got reverse selected. I had an additional rear view camera fitted which acts as a rear-view mirror. On previous MH, also a Bailey (745), I had a split rear view camera fitted, one that pointed straight(ish) down and another which I used as the rear-view mirror, these were on all the time when the ignition is on.

In both cases, the display was mounted on the cab rear view mirror which remained fitted even though the rear wall is solid on both the old 745 and the 79-4i. Both had the Boxer cab which is essentially the same as the Ducato cab. Both installations were hard wired in, hopefully much less likely to drop out than a WiFi based system.

I can't tell you the name of the system we had fitted, it'll be in the pack in the MH but I'm working away ATM.
Very interesting, many thanks and I look forward to hearing more :D

· Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
When I bought my Chausson from a dealer it had a tow bar and when it went for matriculation (registration) for its ITV (MOT) to change from a Belgian number plate to a Spanish one they were told to take the tow bar off for the test. When they returned and told me that it would be put back on now, I decided not to, didn't need it, didn't want it LOL.
Little did I know how it would have saved my shunt into the back of the van as mentioned in my opening article. Maybe it was not recognised to have been listed on some legal paperwork, I don't know. Strangely on my panel van that proceeded the Chausson that was an original conversion, but the reversing camera was deemed to be needed to be de-activated for it's ITV test every time it went. My Chausson is newer and the ITV(mot) was every two years and to this day it still has its reversing camera de-activated to get through. But back to the opening subject. that is why I am looking into a rearview camera addition, which I can have working all the time but able to de-activate for ITV testing, hopefully before a three month trip planned for March after a cam-belt etc change and other servicing.

· Premium Member
12,489 Posts
Did that come fitted as standard Jean or did you have it put in?

· Registered
19 Posts
Take a look at Vision Plus. I have their Ranger 420 which has dual cameras. The wide angle camera is used for reversing and the narrower angle one act as a rear view mirror. Each camera can also be selected manually from the screen. Mine has a display that clips over the interior mirror but they also hae stand-alone displays.

· Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have (I think) a dual camera system that looks down at the rear end when I'm in reverse and looks behind, like a rear-view mirror, at all other times. As a solo traveller I wouldn't be without it.
Great stuff Jean, sounds good. That's what I need but, still worried that I would have to de-activate it for ITV. But I would like one hard wired for sure. Enjoy
PS. I wonder if any Spanish van owners have had my problem. I must get to the bottom of this LOL
Funny enough thought I saw in Spain they were thinking of bringing in a rearview camera law for motorhomes and also having motorhomes requiring a sysytem check on Solar sysytems and extras fitted.

· Premium Member
425 Posts
Never had a problem with my reversing camera and it's not hard to spot!

Here's my thread on the panels etc

· Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Never had a problem with my reversing camera and it's not hard to spot!

Here's my thread on the panels etc
Hi, So you have never been asked to de-activate your reversing camera? As I put in my post it happened to my original panel van camper where the van was an original conversion. On my Chausson which has the viewing screen located on the extreme left hand on the top of the dash where one has a slight blind spot anyway but the camera viewer does not block that and it is not large so I will investigate what is happening eventually but soon. I am in contact with the garage that matriculated it back in 2018 for a cam belt etc change next month and as the reversing camera has never come on unless I press it on I think oh it's that thing again. Maybe I am unlucky or during matriculation the Chausson from Belgium with the owner went some how the same way. Weird huh. But at least I can use it on all the time when driving to keep a small rear view, basically direct looking down though. That's why I am looking at rearview cameras after damage with a car last year.

· Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
View attachment 99757

This is my setup. Activated automatically when reverse is selected.
No comment has been made at test time. So yes, strange that you should have to de activate it.
Possibly try a different ITV station?
Great reply, many thanks. Do you remove that rearview camera off the dash? I know you said before "They can see the camera" and I thought you meant the camera held on the back of the van LOL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts