Motorhome Facts Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've just imported a 2006 Hymer B614 LHD from France and am struggling a bit with what I need to do with the headlights to get a UK MOT.

It has the Twin Hella 90mm Headlights.

Looking at the four front lights on each side head lights I seem to have the following:-

Top Row
Outer light: Dipped Beam - Single Bulb with rotational adjustment by removing the casing top screw and loosening side screws and twisting unit.
Inner light: Main Beam and Side Light - I can't see any adjustment

Bottom Row
Indicator
Fog light - that comes on and seems to steer.

I'm thinking to get an MOT pass I can adjust the Outer Dipped Beam lights as described - I think I'll need a trained monkey though......

Can I adjust the Inner Main Beam and Side light or do I need to replace this unit with a RHD version?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

·
Premium Member
22,842 Posts
AFAIK it is ONLY the dipped beams that need to be replaced and on many vehicles replacement is the only option as the lights differ from right hand dip (LHD) and left hand dip (RHD).

You MAY get away with fitting fresnel type supplementary lenses to the dipped beam lights - other have said they have done this and it has been acceptable for MoT.... but I believe that the MoT rules preclude against this......

Dave

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
I have a Hymer, but the newer single light.
I am sure yours can be adjusted, and as Dave has said, it is just the dip beam you need to change, and the fog light at the back.
I have read, there are three screws at the back of the dip beam, I understand the top one needs to be removed, and the other two loosened, then you can swivel it around.
Search on here, you will probably need to join, but well worth it!
I am sure someone with your particular lights will be along soon, with more exact information!

·
Premium Member
9,552 Posts
Don't forget to covert the rear fog Lights!!

The requirement is for at least one and is located on, or to the offside of, the vehicles centre line.

AND the speedo must show MPH (it CAN) also show KPH.

Andy

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts
If you have the Hella projectors (as you seem to have) all you need to do is twist the dip beams around and it's then UK spec.
Not a technically difficult job to do but very tight access and you'll nearly always damage the heads on the screws trying to remove them. I replaced the pozidrive head screws with some hexagon heads, much easier to loosen and tighten again.

Reactions: BillCreer

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
Don't forget to covert the rear fog Lights!!

The requirement is for at least one and is located on, or to the offside of, the vehicles centre line.

AND the speedo must show MPH (it CAN) also show KPH.

Andy
Plody, U need specs, I did say that>:)
Let u off as you are a caravaner:wink2: but still a friend:grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Hi

As has been said; you just need to rotate the existing light for RHD, the others are fine, and add/move the fog light.

I think Andy is mistaken saying that the speedo must show MPH for the MOT, i don't believe it does and the website below showing the MOT manual (with permission of the vehicle inspectorate) doesn't state or imply that it does. i will however ask my mate tomorrow who owns a garage which is an MOT station and report back either way. < uk mot link >

if you are importing it yourself i understand you will need an SVA test in order to get a registration and that will require a speedo showing MPH.

hope this helps
Lee

·
Registered
8,001 Posts
Hi

As has been said; you just need to rotate the existing light for RHD, the others are fine, and add/move the fog light.

I think Andy is mistaken saying that the speedo must show MPH for the MOT, i don't believe it does and the website below showing the MOT manual (with permission of the vehicle inspectorate) doesn't state or imply that it does. i will however ask my mate tomorrow who owns a garage which is an MOT station and report back either way. < uk mot link >

if you are importing it yourself i understand you will need an SVA test in order to get a registration and that will require a speedo showing MPH.

hope this helps
Lee
Last October, I purchased a LHD Hymer, with the speedo in KPH. I queried this with two MOT stations, after the previous owner had got a new MOT, and they both told me it was OK and NOT an MOT failure. Bearing in mind it had just passed an MOT

·
Premium Member
676 Posts
If you have just imported the van from France then you should find that the main beams dip down and as such, should pass the MOT. Check out with your MOT testing station on this. UK vehicles dip to the verge which would be onto on-coming side on the Continent - hence the need for beam benders to correct this.

DavidL

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
Hymer lights dip down without without 'bending' the beams to the nearside so no problem there.
As for The three screws at the back of the individual lights . . .they are a right b*gger to get at, rather than removing the bumper, I cut an access hole with a removable panel in the underside of the front wheel arch, it made getting to those pesky screws a lot easier (mind you it would have been easier still if I had baby size hands as there's not much space where the lights are.
On my 1997 Hymer, the two low down lights didn't bend to follow the steering to the left or right . . I just used them as daylight running lights.

Reactions: BillCreer

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
Last October, I purchased a LHD Hymer, with the speedo in KPH. I queried this with two MOT stations, after the previous owner had got a new MOT, and they both told me it was OK and NOT an MOT failure. Bearing in mind it had just passed an MOT
Hi Grath
same here, both my hymers have been LHD with only KPH displayed on the speedo and neither ever failed an MOT, not for that at least.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
i will however ask my mate tomorrow who owns a garage which is an MOT station and report back either way.
spoke with him this afternoon, he states that for a class 4 MOT (which a motorhome falls under) it is irrelevant what unit of measurement is used, it could be yards per year if you wanted. you must also note the odometer reading but again the unit of measurement used is irrelevant. he also stated that to mark a failure on the computer you must select the reason why and lack of MPH isn't an option, so you couldn't fail for that even if you wanted to.

Lee

·
Premium Member
2017 Hymer Exsis-i 504
12,419 Posts
In case anyone is reading this thread who doesn't have adjustable headlights, my LHD MH has passed its MOT on several occasions with sticky tape to mask the kick-up.

HTH

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am intending to import a Hymer from Germany soon and from my research it isn't the MOT that's the problem but the re-registration in the UK. The DVLA insist on the following:-
Even if existing headlights dip down they must be changed or adjusted to dip to the left.

The speedo must show mph clearly both in the day and at night.

A fog light must be positioned on the rear offside,

These 3 conditions have to be met by the alterations being confirmed in writing by a qualified garage. The DVLA will not accept just photos of the completed work.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
I am intending to import a Hymer from Germany soon and from my research it isn't the MOT that's the problem but the re-registration in the UK. The DVLA insist on the following:-
Even if existing headlights dip down they must be changed or adjusted to dip to the left.

These 3 conditions have to be met by the alterations being confirmed in writing by a qualified garage. The DVLA will not accept just photos of the completed work.
Correct; for a new vehicle you first need an IVA certificate from the VCA in Bristol, to send to DVLA when you apply to register it.
The VCA seem to have tightened up in recent years and now insist on written evidence from an MOT-registered garage that the work has been done to ensure Conformance to UK rules, ie headlights, speedo and rear foglights.

I've no personal experience for a used vehicle but would expect the same process and rules to apply.

If you ring the VCA they are helpful and will send you the relevant forms and guidance notes.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/vehicle-importing/vehicle-importing.asp

britcoms, I imported a new Carado (Hymer) early last year, if you need any firsthand info you are welcome to drop me a PM...

·
Premium Member
13,705 Posts

Spot on correct britcoms.

PS: Contrary to popular myth the vast majority of LHD vehicles have headlights that dip to the right, not straight down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.